1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

would you shave for a gig?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by jonathan_matos5, Mar 12, 2008.

1. yes

47 vote(s)
    51.6%
  2. no

32 vote(s)
    35.2%
  3. carrots

12 vote(s)
    13.2%
  1. ive got a heads up on a fill in gig but i would have to shave to be in the band. the only problem is i look like curly with downs syndrome when i shave my goatee completely off
    [​IMG]

id be playing trombone for a pep band at the NCAA tournament though :cool:

ive already said im available to do the gig:ninja:

2. shave it off

3. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    You're playing trombone for an NCAA game, it's not like your looks are what's on display here.

4. ive got to represent the college that is hiring which would require me to shave in order to comply to their dress code. (snooty private college) my looks are on display to the girls in the stands though :bag:

5. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    The one thing I've learned about facial hair....It will grow back.

If you said you were available; and they have a dress code, the professional thing to do would be to abide by said dress code or pass on the gig.

6. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Oh yeah, they're going to see that trombone in your mouth and think "wow, he really blows well."

Watch for flying panties. :p

7. dmilt23451

dmilt23451

Sep 5, 2007
    Dallas TX
    Because most likely it is for ORU I say shave it off and go Golden Eagles...er...I mean Wisconsin Badgers

8. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    for my last gig, i was told i had to grow a beard, because everyone else in the band has one. so i did. or rather, i tried. i only get a little bit of hair on my upper lip, and i have a built-in goatee. nothing directly below my bottom lip, and nothing on the side of my face. i look like a gay pirate. man, genetics hates me. :atoz:

9. Dogbertday

Dogbertday Commercial User

Jul 10, 2007
    SE Wisconsin
    Blaine Music LLC
    +1 on the go badgers!!

10. ill be yelling hooray free admission if anything :D

i dont follow ORU, but hey a chance to leave town broke travel across the country and come back with cash is a pretty sweet deal:cool:

11. i grow a big nasty beard in about a week and a half:p but i prefer to keep a goatee and it feels weird playing my trombone without it.:meh:

:atoz:

12. Normally I'd say **** you I'm not shaving but I'm assuming you're a student and this would be a really fun trip for you. You really should go it would be a great time that you would miss out on and regret later you can always grow it back.

13. Linkert

Linkert Guest

Oct 24, 2006
    God put beard on your face for a reason...

14. how about trimming?? i often have to shave for weddings.. but it's more just cleaning up - i keep my 'chops and goatee.. just keem 'em nice and trimmed :D

go for it i say. if you can grow a beard in a week, then you'll have it back in no time.

15. Brad Maestas

Brad Maestas Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2003
    SF Bay Area
    Would I shave for a gig?

I do about every other day anyway. I make a point to make myself presentable at the very least. A little scruff can be a good thing but I usually don't go much past that. Unless it's a high-class gig, I don't like to sport a super-close shave so I usually shave the night before a gig.

16. If it's part of the dress code it may be wise.

Personally, being a jazz musician, having a beard gets me the gigs XD.

17. So the question is, would i shave for "work" ? i mean, for "money" ?
    DOH, ofcoz

18. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Aren't you afraid you might lose all your strength or your ability to play if you shave??

19. eotpr

eotpr

Jun 25, 2007
    Nope,
    My beard is about 8" long and I won't shave it. It has been growing for a while. I might cut my shoulder length hair. In fact I would shave my head but not my beard.

20. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    you say that like it's a bad thing :)