Would you suggest JBL e140's or EV15bx's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by johnetrotter, Feb 25, 2005.

1. johnetrotter

Feb 22, 2005
    For replacement speakers in an old fender 2x15 bassman cab...
    or anyother speakers you may have in mind? and where is a good place to buy them?

2. jamesr

Feb 23, 2005
    Eminence delta LF, order them from avatar speakers, he sells Speaker Replacements dirt cheap. I just got a deltalite 15 for 98 + shipping.
  3. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Those JBL's have a real nice sound, especially in that particular cab. Don't push them though, the EV's are much more robust (at least that's been my experience). :)

Always a tradeoff. :D
  4. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    not even close ... D/E/K 140's are for the most part vintage. You can also check the 2205a which seems to be a D140 with another label. Best bet ? Ebay buying known dead one and having them reconed. Second best, EBay and asking the buyer pointed questions like

When was the last time the speaker was mounted and in use?
    Why was the speaker taken out of service ?
    Has the speaker been reconed ? If yes, then was a JBL or an OEM kit used ? Who did the recone?

It's less scary than it sounds. There are a lot of good drivers out there. Most of the sellers will be able to answer those questions and those that can't you have to make your own decision on. From my experience, most of the folks selling EV or JBL drivers fall into two camps. People that don't have a clue what they have or ones that can answer all the questions easily. I've been pretty lucky with it ... I picked up 3 15's off of Craiglist a couple of months ago at $70 bucks per. Typical used market, you have a to be a little patient.

Reconing by the way is a $125 to $175 process. The price difference is based on using an original JBL recone kit (it;'s more expensive) or an OEM recone kit. I've done both and the OEM kits are just as good. The biggest difference is made by the person doing the job. Use a reputable reconer. Mine is www.speakerreconong.com. Good folks and the owner is a bassist himself.

The only name most young players know is Emminence so that name get's bantered about a lot. Nothing particularly wrong with them; they are about the largest speaker mfgr inthe world at this point but - they are not in the same ball park from an efficiency point of view so you need a huge amount of power to drive them comparatively. They'll handle a bunch of power though and loaded in the right cabinet, they'll go pretty deep. Part of the issue you're looking at is that the Fender 2x15 cab wasn't designed with that sort of speaker in mind. Add in relatively limited power and you want to get the most you can out of the watts you have. I gigged for several years with an original style GK 400 and 2 15" JBLs. The guitarist used a twin, the keyborad player had a Leslie and a set of PA cabs as his rig. His Leslie was mic'd top and bottom. Drums were all mic'd. We used a pretty heavy duty side fill monitoring system so the stage volume was up there. I got a bit of PA support for the front in large rooms and outside. So - the right speakers with that GK head and you'll be suprised at what ou can get out of it ... A low B and a bunch of low-end EQ would change that equation for that y9ou need the Emminence and a kilo-watt to get them excited (well, maybe less than a kilo-watt but not much less than .5 kilo-watt)

If you're looking and see something that you're interested in pop an email to the account in my profile if you want to ask. I'm pretty familiar with the JBL line, a lot less so with the EV line.