1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Would you take this gig? (Craigslist)

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by BuckyBass, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Yes

12 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. No, definitely not

86 vote(s)
    79.6%
  3. Maybe -- what are the hours?

10 vote(s)
    9.3%
  1. Wanted: Musicians with perfect pitch
    Wanted: Musicians with perfect pitch (Madison)

00000_jQr4NxcLICi_600x450.

© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap
    (google map)

Human overpopulation is a problem which plagues many areas throughout the world, including Asia, Africa, South America, and even the US. I want to make music based on this problem before it brings about the catastrophic thinning or all-out extinction of our species.
    I want to have too many people on stage, each with their own amplification. In order for this to become music instead of random noise, I will need people who can very accurately hear the people around them and and respond in a somewhat tonal manner. Must have own gear to where you can play as loud as a tenor sax, and when I sing a note, you can play it on the piano. This will be an experiment in "crowd jazz" or "overpopulation rock" for people who are as scared by National Geographic headlines as me.

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Nope, I don't have perfect pitch. Though perfect pitch would seem to be unnecessary for what the poster has in mind - good relative pitch sense should be enough.

leto, hopwheels, Stumbo and 9 others like this.
  3. I agree -- I have very good relative pitch, but I'm sure I would fail the "piano test." I was thinking the guy might cut me some slack as the expectation is for people who can play in a "somewhat tonal manner." There's something about the ad that makes me think that lacking perfect pitch is a dealbreaker, though...

4. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Sounds like destiny!

Uh, I mean, density....

5. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.

A rendezvous with density.

6. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    I would think if you were trying to make a point about over-population, having people who couldn't hear well enough to play en-mass with the music getting better as people left would make the point better.

7. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Yeah... uhh, NO

leto and Thumb n Fingers like this.
  8. Madison WI is TB member fdeck's neighborhood, a college town, and is overrun with old hippies, (like me).

Maybe you should give him a heads-up on a potential gig.:smug:

hrodbert696 likes this.
  9. Does fdeck have perfect pitch?

10. I don't know if fdeck has perfect pitch.

My response was for entertainment, (however weak it may be) purposes. Sorry.

Ant Illington likes this.
  11. No need to apologize. It's all for entertainment. :thumbsup:

12. Never a wise decision to hook up with terrified snowflakes.
    Although I think it would be humorous to watch this train wreck when their fantasy meets reality.

13. Ha! I watched this ^ movie on one of those HD crap channels from an OTA TV station on Sunday.
    (I think this is from the movie I think this is from.)
    They seemed to have the answer to feeding an overpopulated society and you didn't need perfect pitch. :smug:

14. Joe Ty

Joe Ty Supporting Member

Or as the rest of us cheeseheads call it; 30 square miles (77 now) surrounded by reality. :)

hrodbert696 likes this.
  15. I remember attending the "Smoke-In" in "Mad Town" back in the 1970s a couple times. A very radical event for the time.

16. So you join this band. Say you somehow get a gig; a paying gig. Five hundred for the night? You roll up with say a dozen people, each with their own amp, mic, etc. Tiny stage (naturally). The audience is yelling out "Freebird" while you all mill around, playing some paean to the danger of overpopulation for twenty-five minutes while getting in each other's way. Place clears out, the owner fires you halfway through the second set. Load up, go home. All for maybe forty bucks each? Next day the BL fires you via text for bringing "negative vibes" to the gig.

17. ptg

ptg

Mar 16, 2008
    By "snowflakes" I assume you mean thoughtful people who are concerned about over population.

(And, yes, the gig would be a train wreck but that's a different issue.)

18. DavC

DavC Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    so if you do have perfect pitch ... you'd soon be deaf .. !?

pcake likes this.
  19. Steadfast

Steadfast

Sep 28, 2015
    Search Me
    I laugh at Nat Geo....so, no.

20. Rip Van Dan

Rip Van Dan Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    LOL! The last thing you want with a large vocal ensemble is people with perfect pitch. They should have perfect "relative pitch" but folks with perfect pitch can't adjust to what's being sung around them. I have sung in small groups (quartets, madrigals, and chamber choirs) and large choral groups (125+ vocalists). And for heaven's sake, don't change keys by a 1/2-step or you'll turn the perfect pitch person into a blathering idiot because what he sees notated on the page is not what's being sung. They get really upset.

It totally drives them nuts, I've seen it a few times. Had a composer decide to move everyone down 1/2-step on a vocal composition of his and the "perfect-pitch" fellow freaked out because he heard everyone as singing half a step flat and he couldn't do that because that was not what was written in the music. The rest of us, with relative pitch, just took the starting note as given (1/2-step lower than written) and sang it just fine following along with the music because the relative pitches were still the same. About gave that poor fellow with perfect pitch apoplexy!