1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Would you take this gig? (Craigslist)

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by BuckyBass, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    7.2%
  2. No

50 vote(s)
    60.2%
  3. I don't know, but I would definitely respond to the ad.

16 vote(s)
    19.3%
  4. Will there be carrots?

11 vote(s)
    13.3%
  1. Came across this on Craigslist. I can't respond to this, as I have not successfully taken my bass playing "from beginner to advanced, to professional, cosmic and then bored." However, if that shoe fits your foot, you might want to check this person out. Apparently he's got a super-cool practice space below the oldest street in Madison.

**Best musicians in Madison, let's make a new style (DOWNTOWN)

I play percussion. I'm interested in finding players of ANY instrument provided you're at a similar place with your musical journey as I am.

I'm not motivated by sponsorship - I have all the gear I could ever want.
    I'm not in it for the money - I'm satisfied with my income and am not controlled by federal reserve notes.

Not looking for a place to play - I have one of the coolest practice spaces in town next to the Capitol building underneath Madison's oldest street.

I don't care about image, although I'm pretty decent looking.

Writing music with a goal of mass-appeal has always felt like selling out - right from the start.

I have spent my life practicing my instrument, primarily drum set. If there's a video somewhere of a 'crazy drum solo' I can play it note for note, probably faster and with better dynamics. I am fluent in jazz, latin, rock, country, metal and sub genres like pop punk, math rock, prog, folk, bluegrass, black metal, bebop, big band....genres are a prison.

Want to try something new? I do. I've developed (and want to continue developing with people) a new way of playing...at least I think I think I may be on to something. What's the goal? Well, how about we meet up and play together in my space? Or, we can meet and chat first if you prefer. Maybe we put together a group or maybe we just record. Is just as much up to you what we do. I'm just so sick of the same music - there has to be something else out there. If it's up to someone to find it, why not us?

If you've taken your instrument from beginner to advanced, to professional, cosmic and then bored, or you want to collaborate for the sake of inspiration, or maybe you have some of the same feelings about the industry that I do, please contact me.
    • do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers

2. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    In my lexicon a “gig” implies a pay day. I didn’t get that from this ad. He may be a good player but his hunker-down in the sewers mentality is a red flag of potential personality issues. If he’s so talented why is he seeking players instead of being sought? I could be way off base, but I trust my instincts.

3. No.
    These ads always leave me wondering why someone like this isn't the king of the world ( . . . . . as does the ad poster), and I have found over my time that attitudes are contagious, so I need to be around good ones.

I will say, though, that from Seattle to Miami to Bangor, CRAIGSLIST does seem to be the vehicle for these type of ads. I see some doozies here in Nashville.

4. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Northeast OH
    Usually it's a red flag when someone is making such grandiose claims about their own level of talent. Either a self-absorbed dickhead or someone with a very distorted view of reality.

I would love to hear from anyone local to Madison who may know this cat.

5. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

OK... so... what are we going to DO, exactly...?

Oh, right... hang in the basement and be awesome. Got it. Awesome.

Pass.

6. I don't qualify either.

I'm just an in demand weekend warrior (who hasn't done an audition for about 40 years).

7. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    After reading the ad, the only thing I remember is 'Do not contact me'...

Mili, mc900ftj, saabfender and 4 others like this.
  8. oldNewbie

oldNewbie Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2016
    This guy is so classic Madison, but a brown-paper-bag-over-the-head moment for the rest of us. As a public service to TB I will show the ad around and see if they can be identified by this text alone , and whether amusing anecdotes result.
    Wish me luck !

9. If he's so awesome, seems all of us WI musicians would have heard of him.

Basement, cosmic, feelings about the industry, no interest in $$…..thanks but I feel I've already wasted enough time just by reading the ad.

Mili, basspraiser, JMacBass65 and 3 others like this.
  10. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

you guys are caustically skeptical. you lose...i'm packing my gear now...madison here i come...

...i hope he doesn't want a P with flats

11. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Any demos or videos? Probably not. Another smoke blower. He probably sucks. Imma tell it like it is. I love selling out with a vengeance! One of the dumbest statements ever. I like making money playing music. That's my goal.

12. “I don't care about image, although I'm pretty decent looking.” :roflmao:

13. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New York
    Couldn't even read till the end as I smelled ego problems.

JMacBass65 and Bassbeater like this.
  14. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

there was (is?) a guy around these parts, guitar player, kinda like this guy (maybe). superb chops, plays fripp note for note without breaking a sweat, but has no gigs, few friends, and no one to jam with.

JMacBass65 likes this.
  15. osv

osv Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    I know a guitarist who may be interested...

redwingxix likes this.
  16. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    I'm gonna swim against the current here and say that it sounds like it could be fun -- apart from the fact that he sounds a little too impressed with himself. No future in gigging or money-making, but maybe fun. I'd consider if it was local and I had time for another project....

Mr_Moo likes this.
  17. If I were anywhere close to the ability level he desired, yes; I would at least jam with him to see what's up.

Mr_Moo likes this.
  18. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    I can’t say I don’t understand what he’s trying to convey because in some ways it’s what I’ve always wanted...

A band that transcends a pigeon holed genre. One song could be a country tune. Another could be a James Brown type funk. Maybe a Metallica type tune. Let’s throw in some Billy Joel. Some Christopher Cross. ZZ Top’s got some cool vibes. How bout something like Van Halen? Gotta through a proggy masterpiece ala Dream Theater and some Genesis/Phil Collins for good measure.

Not covers. Originals. I’ve always wanted an original band that wasn’t in it for the money. Or the gigs. Just the pure extacy derived from writing and playing with musicians who share the same vision and passion. Kudos to this dude for puttin it out there albeit in a “not sure if crazy” type way. Hope he finds the right people.

triode6L6a, Mr_Moo, dBChad and 2 others like this.
  19. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I can’t give you an exact diagnosis,but I have ruled out “normal”.

I’m guessing this person’s relationship with reality is... let’s just call it tenuous.

bolophonic and basspraiser like this.
  20. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    he can play any drum solo i have ever heard better than the original? he good.

i can't play the majority of bass solos i have ever heard. i'm out.

Mili likes this.