Would you take this gig?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bobbykokinos, Oct 8, 2005.

1. Would you play a gig once a month about 100miles away on a Wednesday night for the possibility of being called to play aprox. 50 others gigs during the year?? Pay would be door cost, and its for a big band, so probably enough to cover gas.

Its music I enjoy playing but I dunno.. Just wanted to see what you guys think.
  2. ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    yeah man, sounds like fun. The long drive would be cool to unwind after a crappy month. Plus, you get to play with a big band and score some extra gigs. You sound like you want to do it man, do yourself a favour and go for it. :) :bassist:
  3. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    What he said ^^^^^
  4. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    100 miles for the door? Hell no.........
  5. Steve

Aug 10, 2001

What he said......
  6. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I guess it kinda depends why you're doing it, then
  7. I dunno about that one, it's a question only you can answer.

1. Are you doing it for the sake of playing, then yes.
    2. If the other gigs are going to pay off, look at it as in investment. Then yes.
    3. If you consider yourself a pro or semi-pro and that scale is not what you get. Then no.

Last, What else are you going to do with a Wednesday night. it's only once a month. Stay home and watch TV or go play.
    Do you have to get up and do a day job?
    Will this Wednesday night get in the way of any family commitments?

The scale does suck but the opportunity to play in a big band does not come around that often. It sounds like you really want to, so go for it.
  8. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    I'm young my last and only 3 gigs were free for 8th graders. Yes Yes I would take it :D
  9. Cool.. Thanks for the comments guys. I work for myself so my week day work schedule is flexible. And you guys are right, I'd just be sitting at home on a Wednesday probably going nothing.

As long as what we make at the door is enough to cover gas, I'll be happy..
  10. if the show is a complete loss. like 2 people came as long as someone appreciates what your doing it should not matter how much it costs. some of my favorite band do a lot of free shows. music is a passion and to play a gig with a non established band is a privledge, if you suk
  11. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

I'd do it in a minute.

12. ^^^That sums it up right there.
    As for myself...count me in. Anytime I can play with new people I love it. But I have a day job and only play for the love of playing. I can see where being a professional and making money might be a different story.
  13. Yeah, I have a day job also which has a VERY flexible schedule so I can pretty much play when I want. Right now, I play with one big band and one jazz quartet. If I do this almost-free gig once a month, it'll open the chance of playing with another big band and more private, quartet style gigs.

Eh, I dont know why I was complaining. Its only once a month for almost free 2 hours away. I just hope that most of the gigs arent 2 hours away.. I dont mind it once in a while but I cant do it for every gig..