Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Would you take this gig?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bobbykokinos, Mar 18, 2006.

1. Theater gig.. Rehersals are undetermined in time but shows are 2 hrs in length (that includes intermission). Here is what the schedule looks like:

11/26 - Rehearsal
    11/27 - Rehearsal
    11/28 - Rehearsal
    11/29 - Rehearsal
    11/30 - Show
    12/1 - Show
    12/2 - Show
    12/3 - Show
    12/7 - Show
    12/8 - Show
    12/9 - Show
    12/10 - Show
    12/14 - Show
    12/15 - Show
    12/16 - Show
    12/17 - Show
    12/21 - Show
    12/22 - Show
    12/23 - Show
    12/24 - Show
    12/28 - Show
    12/29 - Show
    12/30 - Show
    12/31 - Show

All of this for $920.. Seems kinda cheap to me.. What do you think?

2. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    That's $46 a show, rehearsals free. Even around this little town I get $50 a show. I think it's a little cheap. What's the show?

For me, to give up 20 nights of potential other gigs, I'd need more than $920. I's think that $1,200 - $1,500 is reasonable.

3. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    I think you can do better. Back when I was freelancing, New Year's gigs would pay easily $400-$500 for just that one night. SteveC is right....even $1200 for that many shows is pretty cheap, especially considering the New Years' aspect. $1500 is not unreasonable at all.

4. Yep, seems a little cheap to me. If it's a community theater that's probably the best they can do so you will have to weight that in.

I would say if they are on week nights it is probably better than nothing. But,.. that is in December right? If you committed yourself to that you would miss out on some good corporate Christmas parties gigs and don't forget about NYE.

5. That's too cheap man.I mean after a month like that, dont you think you want to end up @ $1500 or so?How much is your time worth?..Alot IMHO.

6. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    it's cheap. But money is not everything. You could meet new musicians who might like your playing.

7. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    If it's a fun gig and you enjoy the music take it. If you don't really care for the music and it's going to be a pain, it's not worth it.

8. +1

9. Its supposedly a big band thing for a very large cabaret theater here. Actually, the largest in Indiana. Personally, I do not like theater gigs. Its all "hurry up and wait" but supposedly this gig is one song after another.

The problem is, I dont know if I can blow my whole December for $920.. I mean, I usually dont play alot of gigs in that month but its just a hecktic month.

I dont even know if I would get an gigs or exposure out of this. Usually, theater stuff, we are shoved in the back and no one even know we are even there.

10. haha me being a 14 year old I'd certainly like to get $920 but it does seem pretty cheap.

11. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Bobby, that is weak. From the moment you step in the door and start playing, you are on the clock, and should be being paid for it. Rehearsals free? BS. It's the largest theatre in Indiana? They can afford to pay the musicians what they're worth.

12. Price break down was $40/per gig and $30/rehearsal. So about $920 for the whole thing.

You guys have confirmed my feelings about it being underpaid though. I mean, if it wasnt December, I think I would consider doing it just to be playing.. But December is such a busy month (for stuff other than music). Yes, if it paid more it would be more enticing. But thats quite a big committment to make during that month, I think.

13. The low pay overall isn't something that usually would bother me if it was a fun and/or rewarding gig. HOWEVER having to play on Christmas Eve (assuming you are christian) stinks, and playing on New Years Eve really sucks, especially in view of the low pay. Most cover bands working New Years Eve are making BIG money, so as a paid gig it's extra weak because of that...

14. We are playing jazz stuff so cover stuff is out.. And, the thing is, I already have a gig on New Years Eve. So, I'd be playing the theater gig from 3-6 or so. Pack up, go a couple miles down the road, and play from 8-9 to midnight for the NYE gig..

I am a Christian, so Christmas is a big thing for us..

15. tappingtrance

tappingtrance Cooke Harvey Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2005
    When I was in college I took theatre/musical gigs for $10 a trip for gas - cause what a learning experience - you want to play at 200 BPM reading in 6 flats and 7 flats then modulating into sharp keys - what practice - don't underestimate the "value" of a gig. Plus it is kind of cool playing with musicians and actors - very artsy - make sure you negotiate your seat so you can see the stage though - otherwise it sucks.

16. rylche

rylche

Oct 27, 2005
    Singapore
    it seems rather underpaid to me. but if you get exposure for this or meet great musicians there, it might be worth it.

17. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Even I, who am nowhere near as seasoned as you (no, I'm not calling you old :p) am scheduled to get $400 for 5 nights of a show. And a few rehersals for free. You can do better, but it could prove to be fun.

18. Thanks for the suggestions guys.. I'm leaning more towards turning the gig down. If it were any other month of the year, I would consider it more. But, for me to commit that much time in December, it would require a better reimbursement. I'm not trying to be greedy but, I dont know about you guys, December is a BUSY month. Family, end of the year business stuff, Christmas gigs, gift shopping, etc.. Just can't see myself giving that much time without more pay.

Thanks again!

19. by what it sounds, the pay is low, the only way i'd take the gig is either if i really like the music, or if its a show that might really help your resume or get you some really good exposure for the gig.

20. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Not for less than 1800....but that's just me.