Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Would you take your bass on holiday?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Cambass, Jul 3, 2001.

1. I ask because in a couple of weeks I may be going on holiday for about a month. Obviously I want to keep practising during this period. I'm not sure how practical it would be to take a guitar with me and I wouldn't be able to take my amp.

Has anyone done this before?

2. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I took my bass with me on a week long vacation one time. I didn't take my amp, but I would just plunk away on my bass while I was in my hotel room before bed and first thing after waking in the morning. It was like a familar piece of home. Man, I feel all warm inside now. :)

3. I take my daughter's Bronco (short scale). It's more practical to travel with. I have a Korg Pandora, as well as a Pocket Rockit Headphone Amp, both of which come in very handy for travel, as well as for practicing at home in the middle of the night.

4. I never have, but I never went away for a month, either. If I did, I'm sure I'd bring a bass.

5. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    i had a trip a while back where i had to go somewhere overnight, i couldn't see how i could live without a bass, so i brought my custom (if i could call it that) 1/2 size bass and my korg (too bad i only had one 10' cord and the rest were 20'+.)

6. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    if you can't bring a bass, be sure to at lease read about music theory or listen to stravinsky or something.

7. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I bring my bass anytime I travel, which is surprisingly common. Up until now, I've been able to bring my amp, but I've been looking into getting an acoustic in case I can't bring my amp. It'd be cool just to have an acoustic anyway.

8. Better yet, go check out the local symphony orchestra.

9. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Darn right, but seeing the local symphony orchestra today gets more and more expensive. :( Today, you could buy 10 cds for the price of one ticket (well, classical cds).

10. i just bring my ashbory

11. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    ashbory & a set of headphones {have a volume knob on them} then i can play that & take up far less space than if i was to bring my jazz & amp. thats all

12. If you have like a Danelectro honeytone sure, go ahead but if you dont then you might want to take only your music.

13. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    does your bass have a bolt-on neck? Going through customs is a pain in the ass with a bass case, so you may want to separate it. Put the neck and the body separate in a suitcase, it works that way.

14. Well...
    Uuuh...
    I'm in the US right now, and I brought my bass with me. Customs didn't ask about my bass or anything. The most awkward thing was getting it through some doorways & passageways.

Too bad I don't have it with me now. I'm at my cousin's place in Santa Ana, and I left my bass with my grandmother in Palo Alto. Last summer I bought a li'l amp over there and since I plan on going to college in the US, I can just grab it from my grandmother's place & bring/ship it over to whichever college I end up in. :)

15. I'm going to be travelling by car, so I shouldn't have that problem. However, it does present the problem of where to fit it in the car :)

16. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I take it on vacations and business trips. Always.