would you take your kids music away?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Stupidnick, Nov 17, 2002.

1. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    My best friends dad is being really weird.
    Hes the biggest Zeppelin/Doors fan, but lately he has been down on Brett( my friend) about bretts music. Brett mostly listens to Zeppeline, doors, beatles, tool, 311, i got him into GG allin and Descendents but his dad dont know about gg allin..:rolleyes:
    So lately his dad started playing drums at church in the Worship band. Last year he took brett to 3 tool concerts. This year not only would he not take him to the little rock and biloxi concerts. But he wouldn't let brett go. :( sad huh?
    He still lets him goto 311 and stuff, because he took him to Voodoo Fest in Louisina(spelling)
    So the question is? would you take music away from your kids?(bretts 16)
    or else.. why would his dad do this?? =X cause i sure cant get a straight answer
  2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Umm...what music did he actually take away? All you've said he did was not let him go to a couple of anonymous rock shows.
  3. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    ehh sorry ive been kind out of it the past week.. crazy weekend :D
    another talkbass...party.....:D
    he took away his Doors stuff and his Zeppelin stuff..
    the reason for it is "brett you have too many dead people in your room" so he took away his doors poster, his bohnman poster, his morrison action figure and his jerry garcia neck tie hanging on his door(strangly enough). Nothing is wrong with brett mind you. I mean the kid dresses like that guy in jazzbos avitar. lol. (no offence i dont mean that in a bad way jazzbo. Your way of dressing is pretty snazzy) =D
    His dad took away his stuff and he wants it back. He made copys of his tool cds, cause his dad took away his tool cds.
    So now it comes down to this. "brett if you give up all your music, ill buy you any guitar you want."
    ..hmm brett layed it on em..
    PRS CUSTOM 22 or Mcarty archtop.. WOOHOO! nice choice.. So now his dads buying him a prs probably and hes making copys of all his cds in the mean time.. they are gonna make a trade *grin*. Now all i have to do is find a way to invite myself over. =D
  4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    That's wrong in so many ways. No, I would never take away my kids music, I would never try to enforce my rules/beliefs with a bribe, I would never trick someone into buying me a guitar (an over-priced one at that!). Your friends family is nuts, IMO.
  5. Now, I'm only 19, and I don't have kids, which is good for me. But if I did have kids, I couldn't imagine taking away their music. Granted, I might be really annoyed with it, given a lot of the music kids like today, but I suppose I'll have to judge that when/if the time comes.
    If your friend's dad is a Zep fan, why would he have a problem with his son listening to them? You mention something about his dad starting to play in church and complaining about his son having too many pictures of dead people in his room (the posters of Bonzo and Morrision). I don't know which church he goes to or the specific beliefs of most churches, but is that connected in some way?
    Bribing his son like that is just plain bizarre. Not only the bribing of your offspring to obey you, but trading him a guitar if he gives up music? If this situation is as weird as you say, if I were the kid, I'd be upset about this, but probably take the bribe. It seems wrong to let your music be taken away and just as wrong to take bribes, but if he's got secretly burned copies his dad doesn't know about, I guess everyone's more or less happy, even if it isn't quite right.

Edit: On the other hand, my basses are kind of personal and I'd rather I buy them for myself than someone bribing me with it.
  6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Parents can take it away, but their kids are still going to get exposed to it anyway.

I don't have kids, (as far as I know), but my mom had a hissy fit when I brought home the Stones' "Between the Buttons" album as a young nipper and heard the song, "Let's Spend the Night Together."

Hell, at the time, I probably thought the song was about staying overnight at a friend's house.

She didn't condone it but she didn't take the album away because my friends had it and the record stores played it. She just trusted she and my dad raised me better than to let some song guide my actions.
  7. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    But that's the Christian way.:(;)
  8. superfreak

superfreak Unregistered

Aug 18, 2002
    Clarksville, TN
    I would never, ever take music away from my child...Unless she did something really wrong then She would be grounded to her room, with nothing to do but read...But the music would come back within the hour...I love music and I wouldn't do that to her or any child....Give up music and I will buy you a guitar...Duhah....Guitar=music...or am I just blone?:D
  9. s7on3d

Jun 26, 2002
    Ra'anana, Israel
    Hey rickbass.... I don't know how to put this but here it goes:

1.) Either ther your parents didn't raise you with that strong of a foundation

2.) The song "Let's Spend the Night Together" did guide your actions...
  10. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    on the church note...soon after my mom started going to church she took away most of my cds...311, zepplin, 3 doors down, off spring, unwritten law and blink 182....i told her that no way in hell was i going to get rid of Green Day (they are my fav band) she respected that....i believe that the church had alot to do with it...

wierd note: she left Anti-Flag's "Die For
    The Government":confused:
  11. rickbass

Aw, you put it just fine - It's such a relief to have people such as yourself, who cam sit in the chair of judgement of the rest of us, even though you don't know us at all. :rolleyes:

I hate detouring this thread here, but I feel it's appropriate to your comment - We have a guy here in the USA named Jerry Falwell. You should email him.....you two could really help we mortals correct our lives -

(Sorry, Mods, but this was just begging for it)
  12. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    My dad, who's a pretty strict catholic, let me have this album when I was 13:

<b>Celtic Frost - To Mega Therion</b>

I'm much less strict...but then I don't have kids yet (got too damn close lately though).

A friend of mine got into deep trouble when he borrowed it and left it on the livingroom table. Just on the afternoon when the minister visited his father...but that's a different story. :D
  13. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    what are you talking about? oh, wait, you're s7on3d, so you don't _know_ what you're talking about. ahem, i mean, "wh47 y0u'r3 741k1ng 4b0u7".

14. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    rickbass.. i agree..
    Im a christian.. but Jerry Falwell is the biggest cook ive ever seen... hes nuts =X and totally doesnt make any sence..
    He blamed 911 on us and said it was because of "homosexuals, out of wed couples who live together and downright imoral people" *rolls eyes*....Hes an idiot......
    oh well..
    dont let weirdos like him get in the way of what you think of people who are christians because alot of them are pretty cool people. But people like Jerry Faltwell.. give it a bad name sometimes.
    About bretts dad, I dunno they goto same church i do and stuff and like my preacher even talked about how much he likes the stones a couple weeks ago. Some old people got up and left.
    I just hope my kids dont listen to nelly.. now thats the real anti christ!
  15. Mathias_TfG

Apr 28, 2002
    New York
    I do not have kids, but if i did, I would never take their music away from them. That totally goes against everything that I stand for.
  16. rickbass

Nick - I sincerely appreciate your comments.

My previous post was not anti-Christian at all. I hope you saw it that way. That's not what this thread or my post was about.

My post was simply about my experience in my youth and about self-appointed demi-gods as s7whateverthehellhisnameis thinking they are the arbiters of worldwide morality.

My parents raised me to be proud but to appreciate all kinds of people. You have not, and WILL not, see me making judgments about any person's morality or worth as a human as s7whateverthehellhisnameis so willingly does on Talkbass.

I may dis someone's choice in music, but I never attack the person.

So, even though I'm agnostic. tell me who, between me and s7pseudogod, is displaying the true spirit of kindness and love that any religion claims to portray???

I think s7whateverthehellhisnameis is akin to Falwell. From what I see, the creed of s7whateverthehellhisnameis is centered on hate.
  17. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...

Tom Warrior fell from a tree in cherry orchard
    Martin Ain drowned in a cold lake
    Reed St. Mark went to Mega Therion
    and remains there 'till this day

Tom Warrior is waiting for the emperor's return
    Martin Ain's trapped in the circle of tyrants
    Reed St. mark was blinded in the crypt of rays
    where he remains 'till this day

-Celtic Frosted Flakes sung by SOD on the 99 Release Bigger than the devil! WHAT A GREAT ALBUM! =D

as for rickbass.. gotcha man =D i agree
  18. Would I take music away from my kids ????
    No f****** way, ever !!!
    I'm 32 years old now, and still not mentally stable cause my dad was an a**hole like that. (the rest of my family are/were nuts too)

As for why he does it : apparantly he is more concerned with how the church community sees him, then with his own son ...

Sorry for the harsh language, but sh*t like that makes me sick. (too close to home)
  19. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

My dad smashed our John Lennon album when he heard the "eff word" on it.

I have a picture of the Flag Raising at Iwo Jima in my room, is that too many dead people?
  20. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I don't believe in censorship really at all, it's just hiding reality from kids that they are obviously going to find out anyway from friends, etc. And kids are more likely to rebel when stupid rules like these are set. I'd usually have more input on this issue but I'm tired and forget what I"m talking about.