would you tolerate dead spot on A string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tranceFusion, Jan 26, 2009.

1. I ordered a new Fender 08 Precision V and I have a bit of a problem with a dead spot. It has the normal fender deads pot (7th fret on g string).

But, there is also one on the D (5th) of the A string. It isn't as bad as the G string one. The attack is as normal, but it doesn't sustain nearly as long as the other notes. I probably wouldn't have noticed if I wasn't playing a song that required sitting on an A with half notes..

Would this bother you? I don't usually hear about dead spots in this region of the fingerboard.

2. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

..... This should answer your own question.

This is unacceptable in ANY new bass. Send it back and get it replaced.

Believe me, it will drive you nuts over time.

3. Yup.

4. bspot

bspot

Sep 9, 2008
    Charlotte NC
    unacceptable...period.

5. yes it would bother me a lot

6. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I will agree with the others. A dead spot on the G as long as it sounds decent i can stand. On the A string at D...no way. Thats the money zone.

7. Baird6869

I am the opposite. On a good bass, in should be assumed that it is working properly in every respect. A $99 SX? I would ecpect to have to do some tweaking. On an expensive Fender, no way.

As an example, I just picked up a used Roscoe and noticed the bridge PU's output was noticably lower than that of the neck PU. I gigged the bass and it sounded amazing but the PU issue was really bugging me. After a few gigs, I had no choice but to spend a lot of $$$ on a replacement. I figured my sanity was worth the $$$.

My point is... why be unhappy with an expensive bass if the solution can be remedied? My case, new $125 PU will fix my issue... in your case, maybe a setup, new neck or a new bass, but as it is new, get it fixed.

8. Every bass has dead spots dude. If yours doesn't have any you probably just haven't found them yet..

9. +1 It just depends how severe and where. I have rejected basses due to dead spots being a little too severe (i.e., impacting the fundamental at the initial attack). This happens with $6,000 basses and $200 basses, multilam necks, 35" scale, whatever.

The first thing that I do when I try a bass is play up and down the G string slowly to really make sure the dead spot or spots are not so severe as to be a problem.

If a bass also has a significant loss of fundamental sustain on the A string, that would be enough for me to reject it. That's a little more unusual, but I have run across it, and again, it has very little to do with dollar amount IME.

10. Ephminus

Ephminus

Nov 6, 2008
    I've had the same problem before.
    Get it intonated and have the truss rod adjusted slightly.
    Solved the problem for me.

11. Many threads on this. If an adjustment solves the problem, then it's not a dead spot. Youa re talking about a different issue. Intonation would not impact anything other than intonation:smug:

12. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    I haven't found a dead spot on my Lakland 4-94, and I've tried to find one. Maybe it has one, and it's only very slight, so much so that I haven't noticed it, but for all intents and purposes, it is dead-spot free.

13. It is so hard to tell. I feel like I am driving myself nuts trying to listen for it. It is like, first I will think there is a huge lack of sustain and then I will play other notes and start to think I am just looney. It is hard to say when the fundamental dies exactly since the harmonics continue to ring out and it seems like some of my amps mask it.

I wonder if I record it on the computer if there is some way I can hone in on the fundamental frequency and see what it looks like?

Actually, now that I play the other two basses I have now, it seems like they kind of fall off a bit quicker on the 5th fret of the A string, though not as bad as this P. Surprised nobody has mentioned dead spots there.

14. So that dead spot on the G string 7th fret on Fenders is normal? I thoguht i did something to it.

15. mark beem

mark beem Wait, how does this song start again?? Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    Okay, not trying to stir up anything here, but can someone give me an example on a professional recording somewhere (don't care what genre or time period of recording) where I can go and listen to an actual "dead spot"?

16. I guess there's the potential, but I think a key word is the severity. At one point, I had 7 USA Peavey Cirrus and Millennium basses and none had any noticeable dead spots in the first octave. Only one of my Cirrus had noticeable dead spots in the 2nd octave, although I never really tested out the B, E, or A strings past the 17th fret.

17. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    Not just Fenders - most basses have a dead spot somewhere between the 5th and 9th frets on the G string. Some people claim all basses have at least one dead spot, and most of them are on the G string around the 7th fret.

I have never played a fretted electric bass of any type that did not have the G string dead spot, but then again I have certainly not played every bass ever built.

18. Baird6869

I do KINDA agree with your point but there is a big difference between something extremely noticable and something barely noticable.

I play all over my necks and have not noticed anything on any of my my main players that jumps out as a deadspot.

a couple of dB lower in volume or micro seconds less sustain? I guess theoretically this is possible.

19. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

If the bass is new, then I'd go play some others and see if they sound similar in that position. (That's a test of your ears and playing technique - both of which are probably OK, but it pays to compare.)

If other basses don't share the perceived problem, then I suggest you return/exchange the bass. The problem you describe probably wouldn't affect me with my particular style, but if it's a new bass and it doesn't work for you, then you should exchange it for another that does work. There are plenty of Fenders out there.

20. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I also check the G string on any bass i buy..its a habit. If its not a bad dead spot i can live with it and sometimes improve it slightly. The worse i ever found was on a really nice Musicman...it just thumped no note sound at all. The reason i can live with it on the G is so much of my playing style and sound comes from the E,A,D strings. The G is only used for fills and runs and maybe an odd walk. I like my bass lines meaty:smug:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021