Would you Trade a Mesa M-Pulse 600 for a Aguilar DB359?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Poon, Oct 18, 2003.

1. Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Just testing a theory. What do ya think? About the same size and weight. One is 200 Watts of All Tube, the Other is 600 Watts of Hybrid Power.

What do ya think?
  2. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    I would in a heartbeat, but that's only because I love the sound of power tubes. I've played both, and the aggie just has got what makes me smile. I think the perceived value on the market of the Aggie is higher, but now i'm talking out my ass so I could be wrong.
  3. bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    I would as well. I've never really been too impressed with the Mesa bass stuff. The aguilar has great tone, and remember 200 tube watts is probably more like 400-500 SS watts. Besides if you really need more power, you can always add a good inexpensive power amp such as a QSC to your setup.

4. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I would take the tone of the 359 over the M-P in a heartbeat (even considering the weight diff). It's my favorite of any amp I've heard.

One other consideration is the efficiency of the cabs you plan to use with it.

I know tube watts are subjectively juicier than SS, but I think I would still want some fairly efficient cabs (like Bag Ends).
  5. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
  6. Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yeah, I think the DB359 would win here too.
    I exclusively use Aguilar Cabs. I usually either use one (or two) GS-112 or a 4ohm version of the GS410. So that would probably answer that, however my current M-Pulse600 setup with the Aggie Cabs actually sounds phenominal. Just trying to gauge what I could do if I wanted to get an Aggie Amp. Does a DB359 way significantly more than an Mpulse 600 or vice versa? Sometimes I think that carring that thing around is a pain in the ass, so I figure I should maybe step down to the walkabout, but I doubt that it could compete with the 600 tonally and output wise with the additional headroom it has.
  7. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I couldn't find how much the M-Pulse 600 weighs, but the DB359 is 50 lbs.

Don't know for sure, but I suspect the 359 would sound better with the GS410.
  8. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    ummmmmmmmmm YEAH
  9. Yeah, I would... but then I'd probably wind up regretting it.

FWIW, the Mesa M-Pulse series of amps are killer. Great tone, more flexibility than most other amps, and they are lightweight, rugged and easy to use.

Maybe you should keep both like BASSnSAX says ;^)
  10. slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    I am a determined follower of Jesus Christ and am a Mormon.
    The Walkabout is so rich, smooth, punchy, deep and articulate at the same time! I have played bass since 1977 and nothing I have tried comes close to the rich tone of the new Mesa M-Pulse series.

Honestly, I have not tried the Aggie heads but I would NEVER pay that much nor CARRY that much.

Basses used: Zon Sonus Special fretted 6, Carvin fretless 6 w/piezo bridge only and TI JFs. Cabs used: Ampeg Portabass 210 & new Avatar CB112H.

I can't imagine a better tone than the M-Pulse. For once, the BP review seems right on.

Tom H.
  11. billys73

Apr 25, 2003
    I hear ya. But.......you never played through one. You probably wouldn't like an SVT either. That's okay. Leaves more tube amps for me.:D