Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Would You Trade a Stingray 4 for A Lakland Skyline 44-01 Deluxe?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Folmeister, Jul 20, 2004.

1. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    A local guy is looking to trade his Lakland Skyline 44-01 Deluxe (quilted top, sunburst) for a Stingray (2002, honey sparkle, maple fretboard, matching headstock). I have two Sterlings and a Bongo on the way and rarely play my Stingray. What would you do?

2. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Heck no. If I was you, I'd stop ignoring that Stingray and give it the love it deserves. MMMMMMM, GAS........

3. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    I disagree. Swap as soon as you can.

Just my thoughts!

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I would never trade a Stingray for anything except another Stingray. But I don't have a Sterling and a Bongo.

With an arsenal like that, It's a mute point. Wether you trade or not, you've got one bass in the dug-out. It may as well be one you can actually use if heaven forbid, the Sterling or bongo gets stolen.

5. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    The Lak will give you the versatility the Stingray doesnt. I've owned both and would choose the Lakland every time.

6. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    I think I saw the same ad (I'm in Oakland).

Personally I wouldn't do it, but since he's local, you can check it out and see what you think. Maybe it'll suit you. Is the Stingray worth a bit more? Do an Ebay search if you wanna check. Matching headstock Stingrays are cool...

Depending on what you play, maybe you should trade for something more different from what you already have, like a nice Jazz type (or Precision).

Marshall

7. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    For a 44-01, you would be losing on the deal. A 44-02, yes, but not a 44-01. I'd ask for some cash to even out the deal.

~Patrick

8. Folmeister

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Yeah, on Craig's? I already have a P and a J, so those requirements are fulfilled. It was just a thought as I have so little experience with Laklands. I'll probably pass on the deal as I would lose on value. Thanks for the help, everyone!

9. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Yes if it had the tone that i was looking for. It looks as though you have your humbucker sound covered anyways. I love my stingray, for now- but if something better came up then who knows. I've tried out some awesome Laklands. Alternatively- try and trade it for one of your sterlings.

10. kyo

kyo

Jul 6, 2004
    i'd say, who cares, you already have 3 basses, you should just give me one and i'll give it back if your other 2 get stolen :p :)

11. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Now I've never owned a Lackland so it may very well be as versatile as you say. I'm a semi-pro side man bassist who plays with all sorts of bands covering every style of music imaginable - all with a SR5. I used to bring other basses but I stopped that years ago. There's simply no need. It can do it all if you get to know it.

12. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Yes, it's a crying shame about all that music that one can't play with a Stingray due to its glaring lack of versatility, isn't it?

You know, I've always said that if you can't do it with a Precision, perhaps you shouldn't be blaming the instrument.

It seems I'm now going to have to alter it to "Stingray".

13. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Yep, it's up today again. Now that he mentioned that he bought it last Tuesday at Gelb, I think I tried that exact bass (and felt lukewarm about it). I've talked to the seller about trades in the past, and he seems to be a good guy.

Today, there's a '72 SVT up for sale for $800!

Marshall

14. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Kind of sounds like the losing end of the deal value wise.

But, if your intention is to get a specific bass, and that is it, then go for it.

Doesn't sound like it tho......

15. Bravo. Exactly what I was thinking. Reeks of brand snobbery to me.

16. Folmeister

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I did too! I was there less than a month ago! O.k., if I remember correctly, that bass does not have rolled edges of the neck? That's a deal killer itself. Why doesn't he just take it back to Gelb? A '72 SVT? Too bad I have to pay off getting my Eden cab repaired.

17. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I agree. And my only bass is a 44-02

18. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Agreed. I feel the 01 is the "Hey, I need a lakland but I don't want to spend money" bass.. The 02 seems to perform better, and those pickups give it more character.

19. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    The Music Man is top of the line, the Skyline is not.

Keep the Stingray.

20. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Whats interesting is, and I've spoken w/ Dan Lakin on this,,, the MAIN, most significant difference between the 01's & the 02's is, the pre-amp... AND, that's an EASY swap. In fact, Lakland will do the swap for you.

In fact, I WAS in that situation, & Dan Lakin himself recommended I go w/ an 01, & then swap out the the pre.

Regarding the Skyline versus a Stingray, or was it a Sterling? Maybe its just me, but why have two of the same thing...