1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Would You Trade T-40 for Ibby 924 Musicians Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Third Stone From the Sun, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Keep T-40 USA Pride

29 vote(s)
    45.3%
  2. Go for the Japanese Craftmenship

35 vote(s)
    54.7%
  1. I currently have a Peavey T-40 that I love great bass but yeaterday I played a 1983 Musciens Bass at music go round it sounded amazing that was even with dead strings. I the playability was better But I hated the color it was some sort of gold flake silver would do you guys think they want 550 and they would probaly give me 300 for the T-40 cause I have the orginal case

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Sell the T-40 on TB classifieds and you'll almost assuredly get more than $300 with case. If the thing is mint you may get up to $5-600 with case. It would be worth the few dollar investment.

3. Its in really good shape the thing is Im not good at selling stuff on the internet and by the time it sells the bass might be gone.. Do the musciens basses come up alot for around 500-600 hundred

4. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I doubt if 1 in 10 people would make that trade and I can't see them giving you more than $200 for the T-40 and the case, even if you had one of the rare T-40 colors.

5. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I would make that trade in my sleep I love T-40's but those 924's are something special. I also agree with the previous post you would be lucky to get $200-$250 for your T-40.

6. Well say I sold it on the internet for 450-500 are 924s avaible in the 500-600 price range because I see alot of expensive ones on the Internet

7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

peavey t-40 | eBay

Get a grasp of what these go for on the open market. I also doubt a store would give you much more than $200 for it. You would need to sell it privately.

8. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    I wouldn't do it. All the Musician series basses I've seen did not have any flake finishes. They've mostly been natural wood polished. Don't pay for someone's paint experiment. Does your T-40 have the blade pickups because the models with blades are sought more often.

9. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    The thing with T-40s is you do see them for $400 and up on ebay, the same four or five have on there for a year or two without being sold. If yours was listed between $300 and $400, depending on how good it looks, plays and sounds, it would definitely sell.
    You can always try craigslist, too, if you're comfortable meeting and selling in person. You can always require potential buyers to meet you in a public place. For instance, meet at Guitar Center, go in together and tell a salesperson that you want to try a few amps with your bass, and let the buyer try it out.

10. I won't sell my Fender Blacktop, because I can't get a decent price for it. It's worth more to me to keep it.
    Keep the T-40 & decide if you want to sell it later on.
    Definitely don't sell the T-40 & then expect the Ibanez to be available, because some other player is posting pictures of it on FB right now asking his bass buddies if he should buy it.

Fingerpickingood likes this.
  11. Maybe Ill keep the T-40 its sound isway more value than the cost but how does the Ibanez compare in sound I tested it through a swr combo amp with old strings and it sounded great

12. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    Neither better or lesser. You hear the active electronics in that Musician 924 but your T-40 is a tone beast also. I understand you wanting to get that anvil off your back. If it were me I'd get a builder to build a body that I'd swap the T-40 electronics into and put the T-40 neck on, something in the 8lb range and keep moving.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  13. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

Sep 26, 2010
    Canton, GA
    I'd keep the T-40.

14. Seems to more toward the T-40 thanks fir the input guys

15. I wouldn't give up the T-40. I can almost guarantee you'll regret it somewhere down the line. I'd try and find another way to get the ibanez and keep the peavey too.

TinIndian and BawanaRik like this.
  16. Fingerpickingood

Fingerpickingood

Oct 30, 2014
    Texas
    I *LOVE* Ibanez basses... But I wouldn't get rid of the T-40 for an ugly Ibby that someone did a home paint job on.

17. Novv

Novv

Oct 30, 2015
    ON, Canada
    The Ibanez Musicians are pretty awesome, but so is the T-40...

18. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    Those two basses are two different animals so it depends on what you are looking for in tone, especially within the context of your musical projects.

I agree with @Super_Freak - Get the Ibby but hold on to the T-40 if you can. A/B them over a few weeks or so. You may decide you like having the extra pallette of colors having both will offer, or you may decide that one is giving you more than what you want so you can sell the other

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  19. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Both great basses, I way prefer the Ibanez but I see the appeal of the T-40.
    I'm sure a trading deal on TB could be successful.

No good deal can be achieved through trading in a music store. These guys need to make a living at some point and a part of it is marging on whatever they sell.
    By trading with them your loss becomes their marge.

20. Papazita

Papazita

Jun 27, 2008
    Ohio
    0753338_0.

I've got some shopping to do in Columbus tomorrow, maybe I'll remove your need for a decision. :smug:

Nah...I'm only going for strings & a new strap.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
    seang15 and Scottkarch like this.