1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Would you trade THIS Stingray 5 for THIS USA jazz deluxe?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jakobus22, Apr 20, 2009.

1. [​IMG]

I'm given the opportunity to trade this 2003 Stingray 5 for this 1999 American Jazz Bass Deluxe.
    Both are in very good condition. What would you do? I would like to switch back to a 4 string.

The Stingray has got an extra Bartolini pickup installed, as you can see. This is playable through a second jack-plugin.

1 more thing: In the Netherlands, these two basses are about the same price (the Stingray being a little bit more expensive)

[​IMG]

More pics:

Attached Files:

2. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    That is just odd.

If the stingray were mine, I probably wouldn't do it. Of course, that might also depend on how neatly the second jack was installed. This whole second jack thing could really bring the market value down. And how neat is the route for the Bart? Post more pics.

Again, this is an extremely odd way to add a second pickup. Does this mean you have an active Stingray with a passive neck pickup that you have to run to a different amp?

3. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    And right above the switch is that two additional knobs (volume/tone) for the passive side of this bass? Its a little hard to tell from the pic.

And where in the world are you? The country you live in will have an impact on the market value of each. You might want to fill out your profile.

4. rapturebass

rapturebass

Dec 6, 2008
    Connecticut
    NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That stingray is bueatiful!

5. yes, the previous owner thought it would give him more versatility.

Here are some pics of the bartolini pickup:

1GYst5pOYdA==.
    mFOzZeMFqx56Tm90YMkf9A==.

6. pringlw

pringlw

Nov 22, 2008
    Seattle Area
    I wouldn't do it. Not even if a small amount of money were thrown in.

7. funkmangriff

funkmangriff

Dec 29, 2007
    i would if the jazz was a 5 string, but it isnt!

it looks like you've kinda made that stingray your own little baby by installing another pickup on it.

if ur gonna miss it when its gone then id say no. for me its a no.

8. pringlw

pringlw

Nov 22, 2008
    Seattle Area
    It is odd but.. didn't Billy Sheehan do exactly this for a period of time (ie; back in the 80s when he had the hair)?

9. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    Normally, I would say no, because I love Rays.

However, your wanting a 4 string, and that pickup mod is probably going to hurt the resale value of that Ray. I would go ahead and trade if the Fender is in good shape and has no problems.

10. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    I concur.

11. mat666

mat666

Apr 3, 2007
    montreal
    I would say yes because your ray wont increase worthwhile but the jazz will and you want a four string so go ahead

12. I say go for the trade.

Plus that Jazz makes me think of Lucy before I changed her pickguard.

13. wildhorse

wildhorse

Mar 15, 2009
    Your call but it boils down to you want a 4 string and can't afford a second bass.
    Make the trade. The Fender looks nice and the Stingray looks like a frankenstein.
    If the Musicman was all original I'd say no definately not. Instead I'd scrimp and save and add a Jazz as I could.

14. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Yes. AFAIK, he still does. One pickup out to one amp; the other out to another. Both passive, though.

If it were just the pickup route and not the second jack, I'd say don't do it. As is, its a tough call. I do think late 90s Fenders are top notch, if you do go ahead with the trade.

15. timmyc

timmyc

Nov 29, 2005
    UK
    What he said

16. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
    I would do the trade. I have tried other basses and keep coming back to the Fender Jazz. There is just something abouth that jazz bass sound you can't get from other basses. Plus you want a four string instead of a five.

17. Doodaddy

Doodaddy

Jan 11, 2005
    West Monroe, LA
    Whether you do the trade or not, what was done to that ErnieBall is an unforgivable sin.

18. Don't do it.

19. I have a USA Jazz Deluxe, and I love it. It's perfect for me. I have never owned a Ray, so I can't compare.

I say go for the trade brother.

20. I made the trade yesterday, and I must say I'm really happy about it. The jazz bass plays heavenly! I'm still a huge Stingray-fan, but that 5 string just didn't do it for me, being ugly and all with the second pickup. Now I'm going back to play a little bit more.