Would you travel 100 miles for a band?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Joris, Feb 17, 2003.

1. I'm considering playing bass in a semi-pro band (with a record deal probably coming up). Problem is it's a 100 mile drive to rehearsal every week. I'd like some insight from people who do or did this, and if it's do-able. I've never travelled more than 20 miles for a band, but I do drive a lot for work, so I'm used to driving.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I wouldn't. That's a bit much, IMO.
  3. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Can you afford the petrol costs?

Are you going to have to drive the 100 miles at 3am?

Is this band going to give you a big step up?

I bottled out on a covers band that was about 50 miles away (all motorway). In retrospect I should have given it a try.
  4. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    If you think it is worth it to drive that far, then go for it!

What kind of traffic/roads is it? All interstate, or is it backroads, light or heavy traffic? It will take you somewhere around 1.5 or 2 hours, on best time (if driving safely;)). If you think it is worth it (there is a recording contract on the horizon), and you think you would benefit from it, then go for it.

This is a perfect case of pros vs. cons:

• semi-pro work
    • possible recording contract
    • great experience(?)

• Long drive

Feel free to add to either list to help you make a decision ;)
  5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    If you get a good record deal out of it, yes. If it's like so many other bands who advertise, "deal pending", then no. I've answered ads before where the band claims they have a deal in the works only to find there is a LOT of self delusion going on. 100 miles is a LONG drive after work and rehearsal, especially if your lugging any gear. OTOH, if you really love the music I say go for it.
  6. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    If you see this as testing the waters before you move closer, maybe so. If you think you can work like that long-term, I'd say it's infeasible... this coming from a guy who commutes 80 miles each way to work, five days a week.

Making the drive once a week isn't the big issue. As a band moves closer to a record deal, though, you will likely need to travel and be there more often, at times that conflict with your work and responsibilities close to home. Or maybe not - I'm just trying to imagine this based on my own experiences with a band chasing a record deal.

Anyhow, good luck with it. Let us know what you decide. :)
  7. Thanks for your thoughts, fellas. I sent their spokesman an email, saying I'd be interested, and telling quite a bit about myself. He was enthousiastic, but he also thinks the distance would very likely complicate things, having done the same for five years. His former band skyrocketed the charts here in Holland last summer and they've even gone abroad now. That's why I'm so enthousiastic.

I could use the gig money to pay for the gas (my next car will run on LPG, for sure).

I'll make a pros/cons list (thanks for the suggestion, Nick). And ask them for me to come by and play. Then decide.
  8. I drive 60 miles to practice every week; I'm at school and the band is "back home." It sucks, but it's on Sunday mornings/afternoons and it's 90% freeway so traffic is always good; takes almost exactly an hour each way. The advantage is that I can get food and stuff from my parents at home, which comes in handy. Gas usage is a bitch though, especially since it seems the prices are slowly getting sky-high again :mad:
  9. It all comes down to whether you think it's worth it. And IMO, the "record deal" should not be a factor. I've seen too many "record deals" come to nothing, and then where are you? You should do it if the band excites you beyond all imagination, not because of any possible "record deal".