Would you use a 25lb amp if it sounded "better" than a 5lb amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 12bass, Feb 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Tone is my #1 priority, even it if means carrying extra weight.

317 vote(s)
    71.2%
  2. Portability is more important to me than having the "perfect" tone.

128 vote(s)
    28.8%
  1. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    In recent years, the bass amp market has moved toward compact class D amplifiers which often weigh 5lbs or less. However, if you had the option to use a more traditional 25lb 2U amp which sounded "better" than the micros, would you (i.e. are you willing to carry around the extra weight to gigs)?

While not intending to focus on any particular amp/brand, there are a few modern examples that come to mind. For a micro, I'm thinking of something like a Fusion 800, Magellan 800, or Subway D-800 as compared with a 26lb Baer Valkyrie.

What I'm wondering here is how much the pursuit of ultimate tone matters to people and to gauge how many bassists would be willing to carry around heavier gear because the quality of sound means more to them than easy portability. Also, please note that I'm not claiming that a heavier, more traditional, amp necessarily sounds "better" than a light micro. However, I suspect that some people strongly believe that to be the case and are willing to make the sacrifice to carry one. Just trying to get a handle on how various players view this....

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    DJ Bebop, Bigbri and pjbassist like this.
  2. 25lb isn't a breakpoint unless you really want it to be a old SS v new SS stoush.

mbelue, DJ Bebop, mapadofu and 4 others like this.
  3. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    On a gig, or at home? Or_wink.gif

4. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    The weight limit for the "heavy" amp is largely arbitrary... could have been a tube SVT. However, I'm guessing that most people are willing to make some sacrifice in portability for tone, but that most are not willing to carry 500lbs of gear to each gig.

5. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    The mention of weight comes with the implication of lugging it around to gigs.... My home system uses depleted uranium.

6. Passinwind

Dec 3, 2003
    Active uranium has more slam.

fcleff, mbelue, aborgman and 19 others like this.
  7. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Wow, first to vote? Yes, I would. not 25lbs. exacly, but I own both and use my ~20lb. amp over my 6lb. micro because I prefer it.

IMO, of course, but while the 6 pounder was awesome for all the gigs I used it for until I switched back, 20lbs. is completely acceptable, as would be 25lbs.

40lbs.... alright, better be some really awesome benefits there that I can't get anywhere else. Even then...

80lbs... forget about it. :D

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  8. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    I have no problem using it, it's moving it that's the issue.

I rarely miss my previous rig, but I never miss the weight of it!

9. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    Agreed... but you have to consider the health issues. Plutonium 239 has a nice "live" kick in the midbass and a great sizzle in the highs, but it's a little over the top for me....

10. Stairs or no stairs? Swamp traverse or none? Paid or unpaid? Backline provided known or unknown? These are all things that have influenced my choice of gig amplifier. Also the current location of the tube amplifier.

11. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    You can pry my 50 lb. Sunn 2000s from my cold, dead hands.

I'm always checking out 1x cabs to see if they are tall enough so I can turn them on their side to fit the Sunn.

12. tom-g

tom-g

Oct 2, 2007
    There is an amp out there that is lighter and sounds better than the 25 lb and 5 lb. That’s the one I will take. :D

joeypee likes this.
  13. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

lightweight is good. :)

Zbysek, petch and SJan3 like this.
  14. Passinwind

Dec 3, 2003
    OK, as Downunder alluded to, then it just depends. But in my case, my current favorite amp for any of the type of gigs I've been taking over the last few years weighs 9.5 pounds. So I guess that puts me in "carrots" territory for the moment. However, in theory I would gladly lug my 160 lb cab stack and a few thousand watts of power given the right money and band situation, any day.

15. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Hell Paso Texas
    Weight is really not a problem for me. If a 25 pound amp sounds great to me, I would definitely put it into the rotation. I say rotation because I own quite a few great amps regardless of weight or topology.

Anders Barfod, Stumbo and bobyoung53 like this.
  16. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

My entire rig weighs 25 pounds. It would have to be a huge, NOTICABLE in the mix in a live setting difference before I'd think about it. I love the sound of my Genzler MG350 combo. Head and cab keeps up with a drummer, guitar player and keys doing loud jazz/funk in a medium venue, costs under $1,000 and weighs 25 pounds. No brainer for me.

17. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Depends if it sounds 20 lbs. better..........:D

18. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Yes...if it comes with a roadie to haul it.

19. Oneud

Oneud

Apr 16, 2016
    Ankh-Morpork
    I use a GKMB500. I prefer the sound of the larger GK amps to the MBs, but not enough to pass on the ease/convenience of the smaller amps.

Zbysek likes this.
  20. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    What if the lighter amp sounded "better"?

I have a problem with the assumption that the heavier amp will sound "better"

lomo, Killing Joke, kpc and 42 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021