Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Would you use roundwounds on a fretless bass?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Dynastes, Nov 20, 2002.

1. Dynastes

Dynastes

Jun 22, 2002
    Denmark
    My Warrior Fretless 5-string came with roundwounds, but I changed to flatwounds for awhile, now I feel like changing back to roundwounds, as I like the tone better. But should I avoid rounds if I want to have the neck in playing shape for years to come??

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    TI Jazz rounds are killer on a fretless. Zon recommends their Ultrasonic Nickel rounds for fretless also.

3. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I prefer the sound of roundwounds on my fretlesses.

4. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I've almost always used roundwounds on my fretless basses. Unless your fretting hand is very aggresive, it could take years to create any significant wear to the fingerboard. And having a luthier sand the neck at some point is not that expensive. In fact, I had the fingerboard sanded on one of my basses to remove some grooves that had worn in from years of roundwound strings, and I didn't like the tone after it was sanded. It sounded better when it was worn in.

jd

5. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    jaco did it..... =D

good enough reason?!?! =D
    i think so! =D

Next jaco obsession: teen town (i can play the first 10 bars pretty smoothly . I started on it last wednesday)weeeee

Now i want a fretless! i love them with all my heart.. body and soul.. including my peepee

6. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Ahh, but can you play 'em up to speed, and in time?

7. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    ehh moley.. I cant play it as fast.. i can get threw the first couple bars no problem at all now.
    =D
    I mastered blackbird a while back so now im working on this a whole lot. I pricked my finger though really bad so haven't been able to play for a couple days.. *my middle finger* *cry*.. I tried to today but the pain.. like.. a High E string went halfway into my finger.. about an 8th of an inch.. putting a deep hole that bled a whole lot.. last night =( . right before my 3rd E string in the past 2 months snapped *frown*..so i got a new set on but i still cant play..
    =/ o well.. maybe tommorow.

8. He also coated his fingerboard with marine epoxy. THAT is hard so the roundwounds would never get the chance to dig in.

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yes. I use roundwounds on one of my fretlesses, and nylon tapewounds on my other.

10. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Depends. Lots of people here use rounds on a fretless with no trouble...But rounds hurt my Schecter.

I say, get a set of roundwounds, put them on, and play normally for a week or two. Then, take one string off. You'll most likely see marks from the strings digging into the board. This is fine. Now, run your fingers over the fretboard (Hint: Don't use fingers with callouses on them) and see if you can FEEL those grooves. If you can, you're probably on your way to hurting your beloved instrument. Then you might want to consider a different type of strings, a coat of Epoxy or somethign similar on your fingerboard, or having the fingerboard regularly maintained and/or replaced.

Like I say, rounds hurt my Schecter, but I always play it pretty aggresively, lots of vibrato and slapping.

Halfround strings might be an option, too. They're what I've had for about 6 months on my fretless, so far, no fingerboard damage and they sound brighter than flats...Plus, no squeaking when I slide.

11. I don't like using roundwounds, but tapewounds feel a lot like roundwounds. I think Rotosound makes a 5 string tape wound set.

The best place to look is at juststrings.com