1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Would you want someone who is overweight and ugly in your band?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by milkman-27, Oct 30, 2013.

1. To further my input on this topic... If appearance/image were all that mattered I'd never get a gig playing metal or punk rock. I have no piercings or tattoos, I wear glasses, own a nice house in the suburbs, don't have long hair, can't grow a beard... Judging someone on looks, alone, is stupid IMO.

2. I'm UNDERWEIGHT and ugly...

3. lhoward

lhoward

Apr 27, 2003
    Western NY State
    Milkman-27, do you live in Hawaii or a previous resident thereof? Even if not, I don't see the issue. Nice color. :))

I probably wouldn't be in the band either. Maybe not so ugly, IMHO, but definitely a little portly at my age. But I get frequent calls that keep me playing enough that I can't go to concerts I'd like to attend and I also stay out of trouble.

Lloyd Howard

4. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Just be professional. I saw a band at a local bar where the Bass Player also played Keys. He had his Keyboard facing the drummer and his Butt crack smiling Vertically at the crowd. Totally not cool but he was a great musician. 'Twas the weirdest setup I ever Saw.......

5. Hapa

Hapa

Apr 21, 2011
    Tustin, CA
    Blues Traveller Tribute band... Isn't that a requirement?

6. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Floral patters were quite fashionable two-three months ago, but not really anymore, so it's time to change the shirt and get a ridiculous amount of self-confidence. The rest will follow. Of course "get a ridiculous amount of self-confidence" isn't easy to actually implement in real life, but it's possible.

Look, I'm no pretty boy and according to medical science I'm borderline obese at 210 pounds, but I have a lot of confidence, an awesome image, and regularly play with very attractive female singers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just be shallow, egomaniacal and trendy.

7. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    With those singers, no one is paying attention to you.

I'm in the same boat.
    [​IMG]

8. I'm glad that it didn't matter to my current band mates. It only mattered to them if I could play and sing.

9. I just saw two drop dead girls. where are you?

seee? distraction works, mr. OP.

And again to you, Mr. original poster in the hawaiian shirt, imho you have nothing to be worried about anyhow. make music. you look just fine imho. But no matter what, many of the best blues/rock players in my town (Vancouver Canada) over the decades have been unattractive folk.... and I have had my years of hellish looks too.

we all get there at times. who cares.

some world greats had their moments when it was realized they made it on talent and hard work, not on their looks. like SRV for example, who's big brother has both talent AND looks (imho) compared to his much more impressive and successful little brother SRV, but older Jimmy's personality exudes self confidence in his appearance and affects his playing as a result (Jimmy rarely has the emotional output of his late little brother Stevie despite clearly sharing a similar gift).

If you don't get to rely on being great looking, you make up for it by becoming a better player, like SRV.

ok ok, maybe I'm making some long stretch assumptions here about the Vaughan brothers, both of whom I have incredible respect.

But you get my point, I hope!

10. You look fine. If being overweight bothers you, it's possible to lose it, but do it for yourself and your family and not because of what some schmuck in an audience somewhere might think.

11. LowEndOperative

LowEndOperative ✓ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2013
    Michigan
    I want the best possible personnel I can have regardless of weight or looks; never been in a pretty band.

12. waynobass

waynobass

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    Ugly, yes, that's rock'n'roll.

Fat, no, that's not rock'n'roll.

13. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Non issue for me.

14. IPYF

IPYF

Mar 31, 2011
    I have big problems with obese people. While I do prefer not to be involved with them I'd never exclude somebody because of their weight, primarily because inactivity is what causes most weight issues in the first instance.

I've been in plenty of arguments about this and most people tend to think I'm unreasonable but it's my right to shoot straight, so I do.

15. I'm a bit overweight, and consider myself kinda ugly. But that doesn't stop me from playing.

If someone can play well and is not a jerk, then who cares what others think? I asked my dad the same question once and he told me "There are lots of bands with ugly guys. Just look at Mötorhead"

16. barebones

barebones Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I'm not fat! I'm pleasingly plump!

17. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest

18. Like most responses, it matters if you're in a boy band, but otherwise it shouldn't be much of a factor.

And looking at your gig picture, it's not like your bandmates are extra special in the looks department. You all look exceedingly average.

19. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    I'd fire my guitar player tomorrow if Leslie West wants to join.

20. 3rdcurve

3rdcurve Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Sullivan, MO

I concur.