1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Would you want someone who is overweight and ugly in your band?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by milkman-27, Oct 30, 2013.

1. DeathFromBelow

DeathFromBelow Never Forget. Banned

Dec 23, 2010
    Horten, Norway
    Fixed that for you. And for the record; no, I'm neither fat nor ugly.

2. Tony In Philly

Tony In Philly Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Filthydelphia, USA
    If they can play and it's not an image band then it should not matter.

3. Tony In Philly

Tony In Philly Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Filthydelphia, USA
    Tempting.....

4. IPYF

IPYF

Mar 31, 2011
    This is where I think a bit of health psychology comes in to an extent though (sorry. I know it's a bass forum). If you think weight might be a problem, then it's probably a problem for you and your life; not a problem for just your band.

If you're worrying about your looks then odds are you need to address them as best you can. You can't change your face but I can flat out promise you that losing weight will make you a much happier person in every aspect of your life. If you're a healthy weight you will naturally look less 'ugly' because you'll be happier and ugliness only exists in unhappy, unfulfilled people. I know that this sounds very sappy, subjective and 'new age' but I've proven it to myself, so I don't need confirmation that it works.

I've never been a fat person, nor am I a handsome person, but I used to be a lot plumper than I am and it disgusted me. By changing my lifestyle I've lost 10kg and converted the rest to muscle. I'm now the most physically able I've ever been and I can confirm that my confidence is at a lifetime high.

If you feel worry because of the way you look, address your diet and exercise regiment. It will change your life in ways you weren't aware were possible and you will not regret it for a second.

I used to say 'I'll only run if someone is chasing me'. Now I run almost everywhere because it's FUN. It sounds very corny but it's true.

5. IPYF

IPYF

Mar 31, 2011
    As I said. Lots of fights. Add yourself to the dogpile because it's easier than making a stand, be my guest.

It's 100% not ok to be fat. Period. There's a great TED talk by Jamie Oliver on the Youtube(look it up) that explains exactly why this is. Your family and friends will bury you before they need to, and it's 100% correctable.

6. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    I don't care what they look like, how old they are, what their political or religious beliefs are, what there sexual orientation is or anything else has nothing to do with playing ability. All I care about is whether or not they can play, show up prepared, are not using drugs, are drinking to excess and are easy to get along with. Everything else is superficial nonsense.

7. barebones

barebones Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Fair enough. Additionally, don't trust anyone without at least a couple of vices under his or her belt. If you're thin, eating's probably not one of yours. So, if you don't drink, smoke, do drugs, or solicit prostitutes, at the very least, you're simply too boring to be in a band. And if you're the quiet type, ugh, we have no idea WHAT to make of you. Please, just move along.

8. IncX

IncX

Jul 23, 2007
    Philippines
    i'm actually in a band with, not one, but two!

unfortunately, one of them is me, and the other is my cousin lol

Attached Files:

9. Toptube

Toptube Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2009
    Jack Black and Kyle do just fine

10. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I'm fat and ugly and I've been in plenty of bands. Without the fat ugly guys, you hot skinny guys wouldn't look as good. I'm also usually the oldest guy in the band.

I was still able to marry a very hot and sexy girl 14 years younger than me. Take that!

11. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

Nope. They'd never fit in with my band. I mean, just look at us:

[​IMG]

12. Junk420

Junk420

Jul 19, 2012
    Cornwall, Ontario
    As long as there is someone fatter and uglier than me, I'm golden! By association, I'm the most attractive person with the buddies I play with. Stick me out in public and I'm a solid 2/10 on a good day.

13. Junk420

Junk420

Jul 19, 2012
    Cornwall, Ontario
    I would totally **** you...

14. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    I am not obese but since you are from Australia, I decided to do some research. What I found is that 55% of Australians are considered obese and by 2020, it is estimated that 80% will be. How do you go about excluding more than half the population from your life?

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/asia/100415/obesity-fat-australia

15. DeathFromBelow

Dec 23, 2010
    Horten, Norway
    Jamie Oliver? Really? That's your excuse for riding a high horse?
    And you're seriously trying to pass yourself of as some sort of freethinker because you're "taking a stand" against fat people? That's cute.

I'd sure much rather hang out with fat people than shallow people...

16. Let the runaway train of preening indignation begin.

17. DeathFromBelow

Dec 23, 2010
    Horten, Norway
    Hey, it's a slow wednesday night, what else is there to do? TO THE INTERWEBZ!!:D

18. You have a point... :)

19. milkman-27

milkman-27

Jul 4, 2009
    I sure didn't plan on getting a "Fat people- Do you love em or hate em" debate going on. I really appreciate everyones input. I guess I am being a little hard on myself. I could stand to lose some weight and actually I have. At one time I topped out at about 290 lbs. Now I am about 225, that is still overweight, but not as bad as I once was.

20. Ya think ?

Just play. It's good for you.