1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Would you want someone who is overweight and ugly in your band?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by milkman-27, Oct 30, 2013.

1. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    I wouldn't have a problem with it now and I did not had any before and in fact, if you enjoy doing what you do, just do it, do not ask yourself questions like that...:)

2. Well its a good thing you didn't ask about wearing shorts and flip-flops. :D

3. IPYF

IPYF

Mar 31, 2011
    Read before you claim. Go back to my post that explains in no uncertain terms that I don't exclude anyone.

I am utterly disgusted by those figures and I'm well aware of them. It's probably apparent that this is one of my main passions. We need to get in front of this epidemic, but there are two main problems: lack of education about food and nutrition, and apathy/scorn for those who want to challenge what people choose to believe should be acceptable. Australia has a greater shame as we have no excuses. It's far more expensive to eat badly than eat well which is not the same as in the US (where it can be cheaper to eat badly).

Again. Full of scorn because it's the easier route to take.
    Watch the talk. Maybe you'll find it interesting:

My last word, incidentally because I don't want to become embroiled in a squabble that doesn't belong here. Feel free to PM me if you actually want to argue the point without an audience.

4. I think the topic is related to the OP's question. We're each of us on our own journey with our own experiences and priorities in this life. There are many ways in which each of us manifest the fact of our imperfection as humans. It's great that you've found something that works so well for you and it's natural for you to be passionate about it.

I've found a vegan lifestyle to be literally just what the doctor ordered and it works for me, but I've also found that life works better for me when I add a little toleration and humility to the mix.

5. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Feb 9, 2009
    I am over weight and ugly, come to think so is my Drummer! When I was in my early 20's the answer would have been no and hell no!

But I am not taking it that serious now.

6. nojj

nojj Guest

May 20, 2013
    My main concern would be first: can they play?
    Second: can they help?

There's overweight, and there's seriously obese.
    There's ugly, and there's Toxic Avenger stand-ins.
    Anything's good as long as it doesn't interfere with job performance.

My one band has 2 (slightly) overweight guys in it.
    They had commented that I'd lost some weight over the summer.
    (Went down 2 belt notches thank-you-very-much)
    The ugly part I can't do much about, but they hired me anyhow.

7. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I wouldn't care. If they're a good player and someone I can get along with I'm happy.

8. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    I'm getting sick of this kind of threads :mad::mad::mad:

First a thread about having or not having homosexuals in your band, now this..

What is wrong with someone being gay, fat or ugly? You think somebody chose to be like that? NO!! So stop b*tching around and if someone has good skills, just let him / her join and keep your mouth shut!

9. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    How about the guy from Kansas? Seen Greg lake lately?

10. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Getting to a healthy weight is a good goal for your health, but only for your health (and things that depend on health, like energy level, etc.). Otherwise it doesn't much matter unless you're out to become a fashion model or Hollywood leading man actor or something.

From your pic, I don't see "fat and ugly," I see "regular joe." Even if you looked less appealing than you do, no problem playing in the band if you can play. As long as you never wear that shirt again...

11. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Sure why not 80% of the people I worked with are ugly, fat ,skinny, bald whatever. We are not national players...who cares.

12. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA

Made me think of this

3:38 always liked this video..hottie alert!

13. Zoa

Zoa

Dec 28, 2009
    My bands take our stage presence, show, and image quite seriously.

That said, it doesn't matter what your stuff is, as long as you can strut it. You can get by being shy and awkward if you are very attractive, otherwise not so much. I look for stage presence, which is all about confidence and swagger. If you've got that, I don't care how you look.

14. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    Would you want someone who is overweight and ugly in your band?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These guys still rock ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These guys aren't fat but they got ugly covered ...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTkYROHwzUUGrV4lTkDGoo1Kor2NvOLWZEzcThjTaDG6NmWztQQ_gUF_6JIrQ.

15. belzebass

belzebass

Feb 21, 2012
    Here's a simple solution for a huge part of the problem about being over/under-weight, ugly or whatever (I call it visually undervalued)

1) Find a woman woman harsh enough to be honest with you and with sufficient taste in clothing (no, your mom will NOT do)
    2) Get some money
    3) Ask her to go shopping with you and for you
    4) It will take pain, patience and courage to go through the day, just do it. And DON'T nag, look impatient nor ask "Are we done yet?". Mostly your duty is to shut up (don't voice your irrelevent opinion), try on things she gives you, smile, and pay :) (even if it's not baggy/nerdy or too flashy/posey for you)
    5) Wear things you bought that way every day (or at least at gigs, no exceptions)
    6) Profit

16. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2011
    It's better than another Bluewine thread about Craigslist ads.
    At least it's entertaining.

17. kikstand454

kikstand454

Sep 28, 2012
    Beat part about that video is that the "fake" band reminds me of the counting crows.
    ESP the singer.

Well and the hot chick .......:D

18. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    Absolutely want. The more overweight and ugly so that in contrast I look less overweight and ugly.
    [​IMG]

19. they let me in meet at sundown.. so...

20. I think that it does matter. But you would be surprised with how much you can get away with on stage. If the guy can play and is not a douche everything else is workable. Good posture, nice clothes and good grooming can help a LOT.

In my band's case the weak link has been our singer. He is not particularly good looking, quite overweight and slouches a lot. However he is blonde, tall and his wife has a good taste when it comes to clothes. Moreover she has been helping him with his diet, so he has actually dropped a lot of weight. He hides a lot under his clothes and beard to be honest.

Me and the rhythm are rather sporty (I used to do martial arts and he was in gymnastics and track and field stuff but we still work out regularly) and that dude is really good looking so we get a little bit of the attention away. We bully him a bit every now and then but he has been working on it.

We did a mini-tour this summer that served as a good reality check regarding his physical condition so this also helped.