1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Would you want someone who is overweight and ugly in your band?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by milkman-27, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Precision345

Precision345

Feb 19, 2013
    Why does someones appearance matter to the music? I'm not sure why this thread hasn't been locked already

2. lilcrate

lilcrate Tortdaddy

Sep 9, 2013
    St. Louis
    Sure, I look better and they usually make up for my lack of personality.

But definitely still try and work with what you have. As in, get a good look going and go with it.

3. I could care less. As long as my band is the Screaming Trees.....

[​IMG]

Who cares what people look like in a band.

4. Really? tell that to Leslie West.

5. Broadstbully22

Broadstbully22

Dec 5, 2011
    This is honestly the entire issue with the music industry. Music has taken a back seat to image. There are plenty of amazing heavy ugly musicians. Anyone who said no in this thread should really just get out of music. Looks and weight have nothing to do with talent and ability. I got into music because of music, not image. Wow what a novel idea.

6. I'm 39 years of age, bald, and by accepted medical standards, obese. When I realised that no right-minded musician could possibly stand to have me on stage with them due to my repulsiveness, I resolved to take the only course of action that remained open to me... I formed my own band. Through a process of natural selection I sifted through misfits and dodgy muso types found playing in the corners of run-down establishments until I had collected the most scrofulous, disreputable, and wretched of them. Some of us are overweight, some of us are ugly, some of us have questionable personal habits, and one or two are just, plain, ODD, but our audiences don't seem to notice or care because they are too busy watching us having a good time and dancing their backsides off. Which is what it is all about I suppose...

7. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Would you want someone who is overweight and ugly in your band?

Only if s/he owns the PA or the tour bus. I suspect that's why they keep me in the band. :)

Just kidding - I don't care what a person looks like as long as the personality and skills work with the rest of the band.

8. nojj

nojj Guest

May 20, 2013
    2 points for using scrofulous in a sentence...........

9. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    This is very true.
    I've always said that it's good that image is important - it gives me an advantage over other musicians. I look better than the vast majority of bassists who are 15 years younger and 70 pounds lighter.

10. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    :p

You said the secret word!

11. edpal

edpal Banned

Oct 3, 2007
    HAd to look it up..
    Scrofula
    A form of tuberculosis affecting the lymph nodes, especially of the neck, that is most common in children and is usually spread by unpasteurized milk from infected cows. Also called struma.

My first guess would have been something to do with the scrotum.

All good musicians are a bit funky looking - you been living under a rock or what?!:bag:

12. kikstand454

kikstand454

Sep 28, 2012
    To reiterate:

If you are talking about the world of original music being played with the intent of "making it" then your image Completely matters. If you think otherwise.......you are wrong.

For most weekend warriors and/or bar bands it matters less/not at all.

13. Roland GR 88

Roland GR 88

Sep 16, 2013
    Whitby
    I think Vadim Zilberstein is the worlds best guitar player. He's fat, sweaty and probably pretty ripe after a night under the lights. I wish he were in my band......

14. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    These guys have rocked while being photogenically challenged for decades.

15. Broadstbully22

Broadstbully22

Dec 5, 2011
    Sure. To bad you didn't tell that to john popper, adele, meatloaf, etc. You could help stopped them from wasting their time.

16. Everyone needs a little 'scrofulous' in their life. :)

'Scrofulous' may be used to describe a person who is morally tainted, a degenerate. It was this that I had in mind - not unpasteurised cow's milk!

17. headband

headband Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2013
    Lake Havasu City
    It's all about getting the job done. Good player, good stage presence, reliability, etc. etc.

18. I'm fat, old, bald and ugly and now I'm insulted.

19. C130AVN

C130AVN Stringed Tubist

Apr 19, 2012
    Winnipeg, MB
    Better Fat and ugly than a self centered narcissistic know it all.

20. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Nah, being self centered and narcissistic is a lot more fun.