1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Would you?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by twinjet, Jul 11, 2018.

1. twinjet

twinjet What does God need with a starship? Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    You have one month and six days to learn 50 country songs for $100.

This is what I'm looking at right now. This group is aiming higher than bar gigs, so there is more potential for work if this were to go well, but nothing is guaranteed. The draw is expected to be quite big (three simultaneous birthdays, one bar). This could help me a lot with networking connections, but the pay is standard and the time is short.

Would you?

2. Sub41

Sub41

Jul 13, 2006
    North FL
    If it doesn't have to be note for note, as in a tribute band, why not. Could be a good time.

3. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    As long as they all predate Achy Breaky Heart

4. twinjet

Sep 23, 2008
    I think it could too. But seeing how I have so little time and have never played country in my life, I'm a bit intimidated. But, I suppose gigs like these are what separate chumps from champs, right?

5. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    I wouldn't do it, but only because I don't like country music enough to bother learning 50 songs.

6. twinjet

Sep 23, 2008
    I don't like it enough to want to learn five songs. This would be strictly for work. That's not to say I can't enjoy myself, no. I always have a good time playing with a tight group. It's just never been in my field of interest.

bassestkkm likes this.
  7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    That is… not much money for the hours you’re putting in. Two dollars per song, and you’re likely going to need an hour+ per song to really get each one down. The outcome benefits alone should be the consideration because the money itself isn’t worth it.

MattZilla, abass3005, Gaolee and 9 others like this.
  8. twinjet

Sep 23, 2008
    Yeah, I wasn't impressed by the pay either. I was told it's coming out of the BL's pocket. The band is doing the party free as a favor to friends of theirs, only I would be paid.

Not sure how I could renegotiate this one considering the circumstances.

abass3005 and Pbassmanca like this.
  9. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Yup, I'd be in. I'd make a binder full of charts, especially if it can lead to more work. As long as the other players can hold their own and aren't jerks why not?

10. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    If the future benefits are all up in the air, I would pass. Especially considering you’re not into country music, as you’re not acquiring any useful material from learning all the songs.

11. twinjet

Sep 23, 2008
    Good point. Right now the only thing holding me back is the possibility of a gig with another band I already sub for. I asked if they would have need for me on that same night. Their gigs tend to be shorter for a bit more cash, plus I have the repertoire to pull it off. If nothing comes up, I figured I'd do the country thing.

Pbassmanca, BEADG63 and Reedt2000 like this.
  12. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    People LOVE country, could have a lot of future potential. If your the #1 bassit it may pay off more than the sub spot. It will also expand your repertoire making you more marketable to other acts. Sounds like a decent opportunity, again as long as the players and personalities are agreeable.

blue4, Nevada Pete and Pbassmanca like this.
  13. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    Ok, I found myself exactly in this situation in February. Never really worked a country gig. 50 songs in less than two weeks note for note. Minimal rehearsal for private parties with potential for more gigs. I have since worked two more times for the BL and he has recommended me to others.

I will tell you up front it is not worth the money, but it will improve you tremendously as a player especially since its a new style to you. Make sure you have the feel as well as the notes.

Country songs generally aren't hard but they tend to run together for me. I suggest you print out the lyrics and mark the chords on the sheet.

Should get all 50 songs played through at least once in 2-3 days, then just repeat every day and work out the kinks.

Sort out if you are going to use a 4 , a 5 or both.

Most country is 1 4 5. Beware the exceptions. Be on the look out for the 2 5 1 and b7 inserts

Get your finger patterns down so you can run on autopilot. Pick the patterns and stick with them. The major and major pentatonic scale are your friend.

Make sure you pick up all the pauses and rests and little licks that get thrown in.

Good Luck and have fun!

14. twinjet

Sep 23, 2008
    I don't expect to ever land #1 bassist. The main dude is headed to the Bering Sea for a school trip. There's a 50/50 chance I play the gig or shadow him and split it, depending on if weather allows him expeditious passage.

Excellent tips, thanks for this.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  15. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy...

It sounds like it could be interesting. Last time I had to play a sub gig for a country singer, I had to learn 30 Tunes in a week, and I really didn't have time to chart everything out, so needless to say it was pretty nerve-wracking. Most of the reason why I took the gig was to play with my buddy Rich Da silva who is a fantastic drummer that I don't get to play with very often. 5 weeks should give you enough time to chart everything out and learn the tunes. At a rate of 10 songs per week, that's about 1 and 1/2 songs per day... You can do it meng!!!!! I say take the gig, learn the stuff as best as you can and have a good time. You never know what it could turn into and country is a lot of fun. Country girls are a lot of fun. Nothing ventured, nothing gained...:smug:

bassestkkm, Nevada Pete and SactoBass like this.
  16. twinjet

Sep 23, 2008
    Very true! Good points... As for country girls, I am not sure there are many in my parts. I also am married, so that wouldn't go anywhere!

Pbassmanca likes this.
  17. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy...

You're a man of integrity TJ.....:D

SactoBass and twinjet like this.
  18. twinjet

Sep 23, 2008
    She's kinda out of my league. I still wonder how I got her myself... I owe her at least that much!

19. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    If you don’t want the gig I’ll take it.

20. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

I subbed for a band and was asked to join shortly afterward.. To sub I had to write about 35 charts.. received the call on Thursday and gig was Saturday.. it’s a one time project that has paid huge dividends..

It was a great exercise ..

Pbassmanca, Element Zero and twinjet like this.