1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Would you?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by twinjet, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Go thru all of the songs. The easy ones need a run thru once or twice a week, concentrate on the harder ones. Figure out what parts trip you up and make notes (cheat sheets) work the songs and parts that trip you up to death. Throw in the easy ones as a break from the hard work on the hard ones, you'll be fine. I don't care for country either but I did play traditional country years ago and I will say that country crowds are the best, at least it used to be that way.

Pbassmanca and twinjet like this.
  2. No... But mostly because I don't like pop country.

twinjet likes this.
  3. Hambone70

Hambone70

Jan 31, 2018
    Tucson, AZ
    Root - fifth, root - fifth... rinse and repeat. Easy money!

Go for it!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  4. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i don't think i would do it, but partly because i just don't have that much time to dedicate to learning those songs.

on the other hand, if you want to get into subbing for country bands, learning these songs could be useful in the future.

twinjet likes this.
  5. Nickweissmusic

Nickweissmusic Knows all intervals from one Fred, to Juan octave Commercial User

Jan 26, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    I teach lessons and perform live music in and around San Diego CA. Sometimes I even make money doing it!
    Sure. That’s a long time to passively listen, absorb and practice a little, then you know 50 more tunes, and have $100 you didn’t have before. If you see real potential as an ongoing money maker it seems like a fine thing to do. And 50 tunes under your belt could help audition for other bands too.

Fast forward one month and 2 days to find you furiously cramming for your gig in 4 days...

Pbassmanca and twinjet like this.
  6. DavetheDude

DavetheDude

Nov 28, 2014
    Germany
    Have they supplied you with cheat sheets or something? If so, compare them, you might likely find that probably many of the songs (or maybe even most?) might be rather similar in terms of harmonics and structure...maybe this'll help you get through.

7. donotfret

donotfret

Jun 11, 2018
    It sounds like a bit of a challenge to learn all those songs in a limited time and be able to play them properly. And this is why I would seriously consider it. If you can do it once, you will be able to do it again if another opportunity crops up. So even if this turns out not to be successful, your personal gain is so big that you have nothing to lose really.

Nevada Pete likes this.
  8. Pulverizor

Pulverizor

Jun 14, 2018
    New Zealand
    Would if I had the time during the day even though there's not many (if any) country songs I'd like, but if there's a fiddle player I'd tell them to f*** off! Ewww.

9. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I don't think I would. Potential for more work doesn't pay the rent.
    Too many unknowns at this point.

10. squidtastic

squidtastic Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2013
    Now? No. When I was 21 and desparate? Yes. In fact, in my early 20s, I learned 30 songs in a week for one gig.

You have to do cost-benefit analysis. Only you can determine if it's worth your time. For me, the specific songs I'd be playing/learning would have a big impact on my decision. A hundred bucks ain't much for what sounds like a 5-set gig (50 songs! :eek:), but if I felt the songs would improve my marketability and my musicianship, then maybe yeah.

twinjet likes this.
  11. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I would not. Just not my style.

12. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    So, for clarification purposes, the rest of the band are all friends with each other and the people celebrating birthdays. I'm assuming this because they are all playing for free.

Were they a band before? Are you replacing someone or are they starting from scratch?

Also, how old are these guys and what kind of country music? Are these seasoned individuals doing classic country or thirty somethings playing bro country?

I'm only asking because it's an interesting situation.

If a gig with the other band doesn't come up, I say go for it. You'll gain a lot from the experience even if it doesn't turn into a steady gig.... which is the only gamble here in my view.... "wasting" a lot of time prepping for a hundred dollar bill that leads to nothing else.

But I don't think it would be a waste of time either way.

You'll likely learn a lot of songs that could serve you well later at another sub gig. A ton of variety bands have added country to their repertoire.

You'll know once and for all if you can stomach country music. Like all genres, I love some of it and can't stand some of it.

And the music will teach you some skills along the way. Playing country music is different from rock and funk/soul. Not to mention, those Nashville cats can play! You'll pick up a few tricks.

Plus, you'll test yourself to see if you can pull off something like this in the future. I do fill-in gigs all the time. The first time, a list of 50 songs scared me to death. These days? You can call me on Tuesday with a list of 50 songs for this weekend, and if I'm not playing and like the terms, I'm your man.

If the PEOPLE seem like agreeable folks and decent humans, roll the dice and have some fun.

My best advice? INSIST THAT THEY INCLUDE KEYS ON THE SETLIST. You can get burned by assuming they are playing the song in the original key.

Ultimate Guitar has a ton of charts and you can change the key by clicking the plus or minus at the bottom. They aren't all accurate but they will get you started. If they change keys a lot, get the Amazing Slow Downer app on your phone. Pay for the full version. Download the setlist to Spotify. Then you can grab the songs from Spotify right in the ASD app. And, get this. The app will remember whay key you played it in last time.

Sorry for the long post. Last-minute-prep gigs is a subject in which I am well versed. :D

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    Pbassmanca, Nevada Pete, tjh and 2 others like this.
  13. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    I don't like country, and I'm busy with my own band, so no.

But if I had nothing else going on, then yes.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  14. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    Same here, and you keep adding to the binder so it's always ready for those dep gigs.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  15. Old Blastard

Old Blastard

Aug 18, 2013
    Virginia
    I learned 20 songs, half original, in two weeks and never got a chance to rehearse before the gig.

Luckily, I play a lot of jams so I fell back on some of those cheat skills and it worked out pretty OK. Audience loved it and the band leader announced it sounded "just like we practiced it!" Without mentioning we hadn't.

Pbassmanca and Matthew_84 like this.
  16. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I have no doubt you have the talent to pull it off... I've heard others on here state they we're tasked with 50 songs...

... in a week. When asked, it's funny they never produce a setlist for evaluation. At least your situation is doable, learning 1-2 songs/day.

I'm thinking the quotes, above, should mirror the pay...

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  17. RickyWoo

RickyWoo

May 26, 2016
    Making money for learning new songs? Sure.

18. ptg

ptg

Mar 16, 2008
    ^THIS

Pbassmanca, tjh and krovx like this.
  19. onda'bass

onda'bass Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Buffalo Ny
    I've done it before when I lived off of music, now nah...I'll pass. 50 songs in a month is not to much, 2 songs a day? country can be simple music, not always.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  20. BassJuju

BassJuju Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    OK... fair notice... I like country music and what I am about to say is not meant to be a slight. I might not even be the first to say it to this point. And, up front, yes, I would do this. I wish I could find this gig. I'd love to be in a country band. If anyone knows one in Kentucky let me know, yes, I know that doesn't seem like it should be a hard thing to find. Like one could swing a long tail cat and hit a country band or two in Kentucky. :D

OK, now that that is out of my system and to my point. 50 country songs really probably boils down to about 20 patterns-- or less-- arranged in slightly different ways. So, yeah, I'd do it. If only because it will be fun and it might go somewhere new. Have fun and best of luck!

two fingers likes this.