1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Would you?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by twinjet, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    Fails the three benefits test:

1. Don’t like the music
    2. Don’t like the money
    3. Are these people you like to hang with?

Jamvan likes this.
  2. BEADG63

BEADG63 Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Buffalo, NY
    That is not short time...I learned 60+ country songs in 2 weeks time and did one rehearsal with a group before getting my feet wet on some gigs. While I am no longer doing this, I liked the pressure of learning tunes completely unfamiliar to me (not a country listener-at all) and helping them out. Plus, it gave me insight into a style of music that I had completely disregarded previously. You should be able to do it - $100 is not bad for a 1 off, and like you said, networking connections-those are priceless.

3. RichardW

RichardW

Feb 25, 2016
    near Philly
    If you're in it for the money: no way.
    If you're in it for the personal and musical challenge: sure, why not?
    If you're in it for networking possibilities: sure, why not?
    If you're in it just for the love of playing music: yes.

4. PWRL

PWRL

Sep 15, 2006
    Yonder
    I would do it, and then write a country song about it.

5. GTx2

GTx2

Jun 12, 2017
    Hell no.

6. Walk into traffic

Skillet and twinjet like this.
  7. PWRL

PWRL

Sep 15, 2006
    Yonder
    But seriously, when I joined my first band, it was essentially this, only modern pop-rock. I suppose it was more like 30 or 40 songs. Half of them were just forgettable pop songs that were easy to learn (and easy to forget, I guess). I liked about 35% of the music. But it was rock, there were some good AC/DC tunes and one Social Distortion, and a couple good originals they'd written. Plus, it was a band and an opportunity. I wound up making more money as it wore on, so it was really worth it in the end.

8. I'd pass.

9. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Go for it. I did similar within two weeks. Most of that time I spent on prep was spent charting tunes then going over them.

10. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    I would do it if I didn't have to play note-for-note and could keep a cheat sheet handy on stage. I'd be hard pressed to learn 50 songs stone cold if I might never play them again.

11. armyadarkness

armyadarkness Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2012
    NJ Bayou Country
    If they were Anthrax Country tunes then yes.

br1qbat, rufus.K and redwingxix like this.
  12. gorneyg

gorneyg Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2012
    New Jersey
    50 songs...3 chords...that works. :smug:

13. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    $100 doesn't sound worth it at all. But, if it lands you future gigs playing the same songs, maybe it is worth it.

14. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Not really correct. Now he knows the songs and can play them again. He did say it could work into something. I see it more as an investment. I'll bet I'm way ahead of my investment in Mustang Sally. It must have taken me 5 minutes to learn that one.

15. Jamvan

Jamvan The Bassist Formerly Known As Meh Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2014
    Minnesota
    I'd do it.

Wait! I did do it! 60 songs. A little more than a month but, like you, very little exposure to country music. I'd already agreed to join the band but they upped my start date by a month. I did it because I do like the music (let's face it, for all the flack, current country is essentially 80's rock with a little twang) and this guy writes his own really good songs and is going places. The gravy is the group is made up of really great and really humble musicians. I feel like I've died and gone to heaven.

• If the guys are a great hang.
    • If you can get over your distaste for the music (think about whether it's the style or the conventional wisdom that turns you off (everybody hates it so I should too!)).
    • If you can look at the $100 as an investment in your future (contacts, gigs, versatility, etc).
    • If there are a limited number of Jason Aldean songs (Tully Kennedy is a monster bass player - not a I-V to be found).
    I say go for it.

My first gig:
    IMG_1734 2.

My second gig (the next day after the first) - Psst! A lot of people LOVE to dance and party to country music!
    36514991_1829981947068242_9072169787668299776_o (1).

Prior to joining a country band, this was my typical classic rock cover band experience.
    IMG_4345.JPG

16. alanolynn

alanolynn

Aug 19, 2012
    NNY
    As I played drums in prior bands, this was the norm, and in no way a threat since all I had to do was learn the tempo. Bass....is a bit more intense if you want to make the crowd happy. They all subconsciously know the bass line and if it isn't how they recall, they get confused and blame the whole group. I'd still say take on the challenge though!

17. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Are you saying that even if you learn the 50 songs there is a chance you will not play the show if the main bass player gets back in time?

18. mrjim123

mrjim123 Supporting Member

May 17, 2008
    Elkhart, IN
    If I would enjoy doing it then I personally would do it, but OP said, "I don't like it enough to want to learn five songs.", so I say no way.

19. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    An hour + to “learn” a country song?
    Better go back to the wood shed.
    Granted, the new stuff would take some time to learn, but out of 50 tunes a decent player could get through at least half of them at a gig worthy level.

Only the OP knows if he can cut it.

20. filwitheneff

filwitheneff

Feb 22, 2008
    SEMO
    If all conditions are right (such as having enough time to learn/chart the material, and working with pro-musicians), then I'd do it. If nothing else, you gain experience in an unfamiliar genre, and you network with other musicians that may result in more gigs in the future (whether it's with that group or a different group that's comprised of one or more of those musicians). It's the risk you take: you may just waste your time for $100, or you might just get experience and contacts that lead to more work.