Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Would You?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Apr 10, 2002.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Would you pay $800 for a peavey tko 115 if it was all that you could buy i.e the shops here have no other models.
    Or would you rather slowly very slowly build up a rack mount system that you can buy each part from the states each time you go but you won't be able to use it for at least a year while you save up the money to buy the next part.
    Or would you rather die cos no one should charge $800 for a peavey

2. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    If you're talking $800 USD, uh, no. That is probably a $200 amp and surely someone could ship you a used amp from the US for much less than $600. You could get a better amp while you're at it.
    K

3. No.

I'd buy a preamp/poweramp setup.

You could go used and prolly pick up a pre for $200-$300 (I got a grand prix for $200, a SVP-Pro for $300). Grand prix auction

A Carvin DCM1000 for $369 + $17 shipping.

Then go to Avatar speakers and get a b410 for $249 and $42 in shipping.

So now you have spent $678 on just the poweramp and the cab. You could probably find a used peavey preamp somewhere in the $150 range.

Hope that helps.

4. Doh, didn't see the venezula thing. But still, the premise is the same. Shipping will be higher, but don't spend that much on a peavey TKO.

5. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I am just about to put my trusty MINT condition combo amp on Ebay. It's a Carvin Pro Bass 150 (100watts@8ohms AND 150 watts@4ohms). It has a 10" Eminence speaker (it's the original one from Carvin). It is literally in new condition with NO scratches, tears, etc. I bought the optional cover and effects footswitch for it. Cavin stopped making this model a few years back and stated making a lesser model in it's place. The new one only does 100 watts @ 8 ohms (wont even do 4 ohms), will not except a footswitch, does not have an extra jack out for an extra cab to be added, etc, etc... Let me know if you are interested...

6. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Thanx quadzilla but it's not really what i'm looking for.
    Right heres my next set of questions.
    1. Any one use a bass pod as a preamp?
    2. Anyone know of a good review site for the iamp 350
    3. Anyway to take a combo apart and use the head out of that or is it not really worth it
    4. Lets say i've got $500 to spend and I can get a decent power amp for $150 and build a decent cab for $150 whats a decent pre amp i could get.
    You don't have to respond to all the questions but one would be nice anyone.

7. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    I'll do a couple,

#3 I've done it, had to build a little case for it since the "head" portion was open on top and sides.

#4 I'd like to find a good power amp for $150 too.
    My favorite underdog preamp, Yamaha PB-1. That's what I run and I dig the tone, and it's nearly indestructible. Another, and seeminly hard to find, is the old one-space Carvin preamp. Not fond of the Peavey pre's in general, love the cabs though.

K