1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Would You?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Apr 10, 2002.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Would you pay $800 for a peavey tko 115 if it was all that you could buy i.e the shops here have no other models.
    Or would you rather slowly very slowly build up a rack mount system that you can buy each part from the states each time you go but you won't be able to use it for at least a year while you save up the money to buy the next part.
    Or would you rather die cos no one should charge $800 for a peavey

2. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    If you're talking $800 USD, uh, no. That is probably a $200 amp and surely someone could ship you a used amp from the US for much less than $600. You could get a better amp while you're at it.
    K

3. No.

I'd buy a preamp/poweramp setup.

You could go used and prolly pick up a pre for $200-$300 (I got a grand prix for $200, a SVP-Pro for $300). Grand prix auction

A Carvin DCM1000 for $369 + $17 shipping.

Then go to Avatar speakers and get a b410 for $249 and $42 in shipping.

So now you have spent $678 on just the poweramp and the cab. You could probably find a used peavey preamp somewhere in the $150 range.

Hope that helps.

4. Doh, didn't see the venezula thing. But still, the premise is the same. Shipping will be higher, but don't spend that much on a peavey TKO.

5. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I am just about to put my trusty MINT condition combo amp on Ebay. It's a Carvin Pro Bass 150 (100watts@8ohms AND 150 watts@4ohms). It has a 10" Eminence speaker (it's the original one from Carvin). It is literally in new condition with NO scratches, tears, etc. I bought the optional cover and effects footswitch for it. Cavin stopped making this model a few years back and stated making a lesser model in it's place. The new one only does 100 watts @ 8 ohms (wont even do 4 ohms), will not except a footswitch, does not have an extra jack out for an extra cab to be added, etc, etc... Let me know if you are interested...

6. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Thanx quadzilla but it's not really what i'm looking for.
    Right heres my next set of questions.
    1. Any one use a bass pod as a preamp?
    2. Anyone know of a good review site for the iamp 350
    3. Anyway to take a combo apart and use the head out of that or is it not really worth it
    4. Lets say i've got $500 to spend and I can get a decent power amp for $150 and build a decent cab for $150 whats a decent pre amp i could get.
    You don't have to respond to all the questions but one would be nice anyone.

7. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    I'll do a couple,

#3 I've done it, had to build a little case for it since the "head" portion was open on top and sides.

#4 I'd like to find a good power amp for $150 too.
    My favorite underdog preamp, Yamaha PB-1. That's what I run and I dig the tone, and it's nearly indestructible. Another, and seeminly hard to find, is the old one-space Carvin preamp. Not fond of the Peavey pre's in general, love the cabs though.

K