1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Would you

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SunneyBoy, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Ok would you trade your lakland 55-94 deluxe for a 63 precision assuming its all original and in fairly good nick. decision decisions

2. BassAgent

BassAgent Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2003
    Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Official Artist: Eich Amplification
    Yes.

3. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    No brainer. Absolutly.

4. I still have to have a good look at the precision but it looks promising

5. bamabass

bamabass

May 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Two completely different animals. I would not do the trade. I will be the first to admit that I am not big on "vintage" instruments (not that I would turn one down if it were given to me...lol). The 55-94 covers more ground sonically than a P. Now saying that, my Glaub is my go to bass....but I find I can get an incredible passive P tone out of my skyline Glaub that I prefer over any of the vintage P's I have played. Again..this is all IMHO, YMMV, etc.

6. Oceanstrat

Oceanstrat

May 13, 2009
    For playing or for "investment?"

I have a friend who's been playing 25 years.....he loves boutiques and hates P's.....he's played and they never have suited his tastes.

For me, I love 'em and it's a no-brainer....I'd trade! :D

7. bass_snake

bass_snake Banned

Aug 13, 2008
    Stouffville, Ontario
    Yes I would. :)

Fred

8. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    No way. That P bass is OLD.

9. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    my first question would be why someone is offering up their '63 P and potential investment value. :eyebrow:

10. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Yes, even if you were only to flip it and be forced to buy another Lakie and pocket the leftover grand or so.

11. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    ^^ This. That's pre-CBS.

12. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Wow! Heck yeah son!

13. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    IF it's a REAL 1963 Fender Precision, I'd probably trade a Lakland Deluxe 55-95 for a '63 P bass. Assuming the Precision was in great collector condition and I could turn it pretty quick, I'd do it.

That's because I love my 1983 Fender Vintage Series '62 P Bass, and can't imagine another Precision being better than it. And I'm not enamored with f-stiring basses. Plus, I have two Lakland Deluxe 4-94 basses. So the value of the real '63 is that it's worth more than a used Lakland D 55-95. And I sure wouldn't want to use a real '63 P for gigging, because any scratch or ding is at least a $100 knocked off the price. So I'd do the trade, sell the P and buy a Lakland Joe Osborne, AND a Lakland Skyline D-55-02, and still have some cash left for a new amp or speaker cabs.

John

14. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    what he said...the 55-94 is a TOTALLY different bass and I agree that a Bob Glaub has the sound I prefer over ANY Fender I have ever played...

however, that all being said, a 1960s Fender SHOULD go up in value faster than a 55-94....well..."SHOULD" is the key word...in today's economy, no bass is selling for what it is really worth...

15. TMBTC

TMBTC

Oct 18, 2009
    Milton,Fl
    P-Bass ....no brainer

16. slybass3000

slybass3000 Banned

Nov 5, 2004
    Montréal,Qc,Canada
    I would if the 63 is in good playing condition. I did own a 55-94 and I didn't like it. I now have a 69 P-bass and this gives me more satisfaction when I play it.

17. I would do it if I didn't really care for the Lakland. I'd buy it and sell it for cash and then get the bass that you really want.