1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wouldn't it be fun to do a Stanley Clarke Tribute band?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Funkee1, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Funkee1

Funkee1 Commercial User

Jul 19, 2002
    Texas
    Guitar Center
    I'm not saying I have the skill level to pull it off, or that there's any money-making potential, but wouldn't it be fun?

Can you imagine doing a gig that centered around you, and all you had to play was

Vulcan Princess
    School Days
    I wanna Play for you
    Mothership Connection

Etc.

Am I wrong?

What kind of tribute would you wanna do, if you could?

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I don't know. It'd be a pretty small niche market for that, IMO. If I were to do a tribute, it would be a band that played pop music of some sort. Personally, an old school funk and r&b revue would be right up my alley!

Don't get me wrong! I love Stanley Clarke. Cut my teeth on him.

3. dwm74

dwm74

Nov 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Not wrong, and sounds fun for a Stanley Clarke fan, but how many people would really come to see it? SC fans would be few and far between, getting those few to show up even tougher.

Not to drift off topic, but that reminds me of a craigslist ad here in Phoenix about a few years ago. Read something like "John Mayer tribute band, all bandmembers in place, just need John Mayer. Similar to the Rush tribute that was only lacking Geddy Lee. LOL

4. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Nooooooooooooooo. It'd be a lot of work, you'd have to play a lot of the hard parts, and no girls would show up to see you.

I still seriously want to do a Shakira tribute. Or, as of last week, an Inna tribute.

5. Funkee1

Funkee1 Commercial User

Jul 19, 2002
    Texas
    Guitar Center
    Well, I've also imagined a Horn Band tribute band, where the first part of the show was Chicago/ BST centered. Maybe throw in "Vehicle" and a couple of other horn songs.

The second half of the show would be EWF/ Tower of Power- centered, and maybe throw in some Brick or Brass Construction.

But it would require more band members than there would be audience to see it! Hahahaha! 12 to 17 piece bands, in a market where trios have trouble making a buck!

6. Funkee1

Funkee1 Commercial User

Jul 19, 2002
    Texas
    Guitar Center
    I don't think I'd look good in the costume!

Oh wait! You meant........:D

7. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    sure, and you might actaully get 2 or 3 people to show up for a gig.

8. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    A Stanley Cup tribute band, on the other hand...

9. I would do the 70's funk band cover band, rather than tribute one artist/band, and then you can play "School Days" and it will fit in ok. The 3 people who know the tune will be blown away. The other 72 will love dancing to "Brick House".

10. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    I've seen Stanley live several times at the "large club" kind of venue. It's always standing room only and there are fine ladies everywhere. Each time was like the best party I've ever been to, rivalled only when I saw Frankie Beverly and Maze who had thousands of people dancing and grinning to groove music. There probably would be a market for that kind of band but you'd need to be in the right city. Basically you'd be going after the middle aged nostalgiac R&B urban crowd, not the prog rock or musician crowd. Get another guy who can do the George Duke parts and make it a dual tribute.