1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wound Gut History

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by goodgig, Feb 2, 2014.

1. I currently have a full set of guts on my bass: wound E and A and plain guts for the D & G. As I'm playing through some classical etudes, I'm curious as to when the wound D and G came into prominent use in the orchestra. Any one know the history of wound guts? Also do any orchestral players still use plain guts on the D & G?

2. Hmmm. Nobody? I thought a title like "Wound Gut History" would have brought loads of info, interest and insight. :confused:

3. Interest, yes...I tried to find an article I read recently that covered this subject, bu couldn't find it.

4. eerbrev

eerbrev

Dec 6, 2009
    Ottawa, ON, CAN
    http://earlybass.com/ is a good place to start regarding Gut strings and their history.

I don't know of anyone who uses unwound gut strings on their orchestral bass (for modern playing), though that doesn't mean anything. My teacher plays on plain guts on top in a baroque ensemble, and uses wound guts on the bottom. Another teacher I have worked with uses Eudoxas on the bottom (and occasionally on top), and I know that Alan Molitz, last time I checked, uses Eudoxas all the way across as well.

5. eerbrev - thanks for the info and link. I was playing Bach along with one of my cello students this past week. The plain guts sure do sound nice with baroque.