1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wounded Paw Black Sheep overdrive

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 999Brent, Feb 12, 2013.

1. 999Brent

999Brent Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    I would like to hear from owners their thoughts on this pedal.
    Does it do a nice overdriven valve sound?
    Had a search and did not find too much, love what I have heard on YouTube

How does it compare to the Darkglass B3K?

Comment away please....

2. It's definitely more of a low-gain OD than the B3K which gets much grindier. It will get you that touch sensitive barely there dirt and then growl when you dig in. It's pretty easy to dial in a good tone. I usually turn up all 3 drives all the way up, roll back the Low's a tiny bit and then dial down the Mid's and Hi's according to the bass I use, mix in a little clean and there you go.

Overall I like this pedal. It's not super versatile, a bunch of overdrives can probably cope the same type of tones, but I like the approach the the gain staging and it sounds good. I mostly keep it around so I can use my Elements at higher gain and B3K and in the mid-gain range.

3. 999Brent

999Brent Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Thanks,
    Sounds like what I am after, currently using my Elements as an overdrive, but it is a better fuzz I think

Any other comments?

4. I love my Black Sheep. It can do the lower gain end of what the B3K can do (ie. heavily scooped clanky OD). It also does a beautiful more middy organic natural OD for more classic rock/indie type of tones. Better with a pick than fingers, although I think that about pretty much every OD.
    I really, really like this pedal ! Another plus, is that Wounded Paw will fit an FX loop for the clean side of the pedal as a no cost extra. I haven't used the loop yet, but it's a great extra to have available.
    The Mr. Excane demos on youtube are a bit strange IMO, focussing on tones which most bassists wouldn't dream of using. They sound like a mid-heavy farting noise mostly to me. If you persevere and listen to the whole demo you get snatches of what it can do. I'll try and get a demo vid of it done with more "standard" tones at some point.