WOW! 1978 Fender Jazz Cherryburst! Authentic?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by freshmeat1989, May 29, 2005.

1. Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    :eek: oh man... how i want a 70's jazz bass... my geddy looks and feel exelent, but.. oh man... :crying:
  2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Maybe a refin?

The finish looks wrong to me...not just the color. Look at some of the detail pics.

I find it odd that its got all the paperwork, but not an original case.

It is pretty though.

EDIT: I did find another picture of another "rare" 78 cherry burst with RW/block inlays...
  3. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Isn't the thumb rest on the wrong side, or did they change its position in the 70s?
  4. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    The thumbrest is on the correct side. Yes, in 1974 fender moved it to the 'bass' side from the 'treble' side.

The finish color of this bass is called Siennaburst. But I really don't think it is a '78. While the bass has an 'S8' serial number, fender used the S8 prefix from '78 til '82. As far as I know, Sienna was a late 79 to 81 color, so my estimate is the bass is acutally an '80-81. The dates on the pots and pickups would tell you for sure.
  5. I have no idea how old it is, but it is pretty indeed :D
  6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

You are correct.

Except that both Duchossoir Fender books I have list Sienna Burst (color 531) as starting in 1981 and running through 84ish according to the color charts.
  7. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    The books seem to be listed wrong to an extent, I have personally seen several original sienna basses apart with the pots, and pickup date codes proving their years. I don't remember ever seeing an 83 or 84 sienna on a bass. Could have possibly still been used on a strat though?

Also, in 82 fender started phasing out block inlays and binding and switched to dot inlays again, and the thumbrest disappeared too. The bass in the auction still has blocks with binding and a thumbrest.
  8. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Look at the size of those Frets! It's like they're casting an eclipse! Oooh, New Fourm topic ;)
  9. Another fake e-bay
    It’s a 1981-84, fender was using the S8 number until 1983-84

Recording to the book: the fender bass history
  10. 69Vette

Sep 21, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    The case is correct for 80-81 at least (I know because I bought a Precision Special in '81 with the same kind of case). As has been mentioned, the serial could be correct for up to 82 or so. The finish is rare (if original) but it did exist.
  11. Achey

May 6, 2005
    Northern Ireland
    Its definitely from after 78, but it is still a very nice bass.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

13. michele

michele Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2004
    Ouch! It reminded me my old (and gone) '84 Jazz ... Sienna Burst, one of the coolest finish around!