Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wow...5 strings are different. Is this normal

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by BillSC, Nov 28, 2002.

1. BillSC

BillSC Guest

May 30, 2002
    Columbia, SC
    I just bought a used Modulus Q5. It is my first 5 string. I stared running some scales and had a fair bit of trouble. Is this due to string spacing....neck width. I am curious to see if anyone else had trouble in the jump form 4 to 5!

2. I think it is because of the string spacing..

Before I got my Ibanez BTB 5 (which has wide strings spacing). I had tried many 5 stringers that felt just like a complete different instrument than any 4 stringer I had played. I didn't really feel like playing the same instrument but with an extra string. It may take some time for you to get used to the difference-.

3. When I got my 5 string it took alittle time to get used to the string spacing. But if you want to play 5 string, then just spend alittle time doing some simply stuff that goes from string to string, and you will get used to it in no time:cool:
    happy playing

4. BillSC

BillSC Guest

May 30, 2002
    Columbia, SC
    Actually, I think this change has been very good. I think I was getting lazy and too comfortable with my playing. This change has been an eye opener for me. It is causing me to reach and push a little. I think perhaps we all need this little boot in the butt once in a while! :)

5. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    bill if you are having trouble with the 5-string.. you can give it to me.. modulus basses aren't my favs.. but I am always looking for free stuff :D

6. BillSC

BillSC Guest

May 30, 2002
    Columbia, SC
    hahahahahaha...Idiezman...you kill me!!!! :D

7. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    depends on how wide the neck and the string spacing is...

I also picked up a BTB 5 and damn it's pretty wide, maybe too wide for my taste... then i got a Ibanez ATK 5 string and the neck is just right and the string spacing is a lot smaller than the BTB (found it very comfortable, funny thing is that i have large fingers)

it was a matter of a couple of days to get used to (my case)

8. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    What!!!??? i am serious.. I am home for the break, Im not doing nothin at the moment. I will be happy to relieve you of your bass.. free of charge to.. its my gift to you

9. try a Warwick 5 with the smaller string spacing (19mm?)... I played a Modulus the other week and it seemed like it was huge.

10. I went to a 5-string about four months ago. It took me about two evenings practice to feel like I was getting on to it and have never gone back to the four. I occasionally would stumble for the next month or so but now the instrument feels quite natural for me. I realized early on that I needed to undo some less than desirable habits and now have become a better musician because I was forced to develop good habits. The main one is I quit using the pickup as a thumb rest and now rest my thumb on the "B" and "E" strings and now do a better job of muting. An error that I made frequently was missing the "D" string with my right hand fingers when reaching across the fretboard, but I rarely miss now. I play a BTB405. The wide string spacing feels very natural to me, but I don't have large hands. Go figure.

11. I too am a recent 5 string player, been playing 4's for 10+yrs. It took me a fair bit of time to get used to playing the bass. I had a few problems which required focus, practice, and attention.
    That B string rings symathetically, and needs to be muted at all times, second the g string which used to be fairly close is now far away(from my plucking fingers), and three when playing live I have mistaken that b string for the e string (more times that i will tell you).
    Like Keibau- you learn to keep w/ your thumb resting on the b string to dampen, however when i slap...for got it, I've pretty much had to relearn my technique for this. Next scale patterns are easier across the neck, the new string has opened up new fingering and tonal postions (like fingering note on the Bstring near the octave produces a very precussive upright-ish tone)

Just practice, practice, and more practice
    I'm still make mistakes on it
    frank

12. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    Same thing happened to me. Actually I was quite pissed when I got my fiver. I thought I wasted my money... lol. Now Ill never go back. :)

13. bass_man86

bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    I bought my first five two years ago, an Ibanez EDC705. It took me a while to get used to it, about a year really, kept hitting the B instead of the E and so on. But now that I used to it I really like it, especially since I have never been the type to fool with alternate tunings and having that low B negates having to do that.

I've played the BTB's and they are sweet and very reasonably priced and being that they come with Monorail bridges you don't have the strings ringing sympathetically. You can get one of those for less than $600.00, reall nice!

14. whoa bass man you have an EDC705? I wanted one for ages but i think im going to go for a warwick now :) But yeah Ibanez basses are underrated.

15. I got a 5-string a while back, and it really only took me a couple hours to get used to it. I brought it to practice with my band, used it at the school fair that year, and used it in the final production of The Whereabouts of Wally Dudes despite having gone to most rehearsals with my Fender jazz 4. The low B came in handy for the "evil underscore" I had to come up with last minute, because we all know that "low" = "evil". :rolleyes::p

But anyway, I feel very much at home on my SR405 as well as my Fender jazz 4 & Spector NS 2000/4. I dunno, maybe I'm just good at adapting to new things, or something.

16. Socks

Socks Guest

how do fender Jazz v strings play like? I've been wanting to get one for a while now, and I've only ever played a four string jazz in the shops. Would the neck still be thinner than a P bass fiver?

17. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    didnt have the problem switching from 4 to 5 myself... the only problem i did have was forgetting that the lowest string wasnt E in the 'heat of the moment' so to speak.

the string psacing may be a problem, depending on what 5 you were playing before hand - a stingray (wide spacing) to a jazz 5 for example would make a big difference.
    width of neck - now this can be a killer, especially if you have sloppy technique - i had to concentrate up on my fret hand position when i changed to 5 to make sure i wasnt contorting into any nasty places.

18. cheeseman

cheeseman

Feb 3, 2002
    Austin, TX
    The switch wasn't that hard for me either. I had been playing on a four string tuned B-E-A-D, so the jump to 5 strings wasn't difficult. But, I was also playing mostly with a pick, and didn't start concentrating hard on fingerstyle until after I got the 5.

19. Groovski

Groovski

Sep 20, 2002
    My happy place
    When I bought my first 5 string I took it to a gig that night and left my 4 string at home. I do alot of singing (harmony and lead). Well I was play a 4 string (out of habbit) with my right hand and a 4 string with my left hand. You can fill in the rest of the gaps. It wasn't pretty. I didn't sing hardly at all that night. My band members told me don't bring that thang back until I learned how to play it. It took me a little practice to get used to resting my thumb on the "B" string. String spacing didn't seem to bother me. The EXTRA string kinda caught my fingers of guard. (creatures of habbit that we are)

You'll get it don't worry.

20. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

A little practice is all it takes.

I played a 4 almost exclusively for over 10 years, except for a brief flirtation with a crappy 5 string.

I decided I wanted a 6. Bought an Ibanez 6 at Guitar Center, and gigged with it three days later. There were a couple of 'interesting' moments at the gig, but the drummer and guitarist said that I sounded great.