Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wow... A gig with 2,000 people....

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by FunkSlap89, Feb 10, 2006.

1. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    So, my guitarist gets an email from some lady asking us if we would play at a charity show at Saint Rose (a college close by). He replied to her and it turns out that it isn't a scam or anything (one of my friend's mom is actually organizing it :confused: ). Its an all night rally for life or something like that and I guess there have been over 2,000 people at it in previous years.

This will be my band's biggest gig yet. I must say, I am quite nervous. Its sometime in april. Anyone who lives in upstate ny should come out for it. It should be a good time!

2. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Congrats! It's going to be awesome playing in front of that many people!

3. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

It's cool when theres multi-thousand people watching you. It just looks like a carpet of people which are the little threads of the carpet from the vantage point of the stage. Is your gig outdoors? Because that would be very cold.

4. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    Yeah man I think having a few hundered is cool! 2000 people is great! I think your going to enjoy it

5. Where upstate is it? I live on Long Island, so from here upstate NY could be anywhere from 45 minutes to 8 hours of driving. If it's not that far, I'll come check it out.
    Any idea what kind of music there will be, like do the other bands follow a certain genre or is it just a bunch of random music?

6. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Its just outside of Albany, so it would be about 3 hours or so for you depending on traffic and how far out on long island you live. I don't know what other bands are going to be there. all i know is that its all night and there's 9 other bands.

7. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Well... good for you. That should be fun. My band was the opening act for Journey here in Honolulu back in 1981. The facility holds about 15,000, but there might have been half that many when we took the stage. I remember being nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs. However, I settled down after the first song... We got to play for an hour!

Good luck, and have yourself some fun! :bassist:

8. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Congratulations on getting in front of so many folks! I'd be nervous, too. But you'll be paid back in awesome crowed energy!

Cherie :)