Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

WOW APHEX PEDALS ROCK

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassampegman, Dec 23, 2004.

1. Just received my Punch Factory and Bass Exciter pedals from Aphex.

Using them with my Ashdown rig with Ampeg cabs and firstly the compressor (punch factory ) is superb true bypass and adds compression as you need brilliant.

The Bass exciter takes a bit more tweeking, its the original Aural exciter type of thing ( not BBE Maximiser ) and it is far better than the previous BBE unit i had tried.

It adds real sparkle to your sound and bring in the Big Bottom low end feature and its like adding an extra set of cabs.

This is not an eq type of gimmick but a genuine pedal that improves on a good tone already. Fills the bass out so for us single guitarist type of rock bands it sounds huge.

I am very pleased and there is no downside as again true bypass so you dont lose any of your original sound.

Build quality is good, sound quality is superb even when used with top of the range gear.

Worth a try if you are looking for that bit extra, good for punching thru the mix.

2. smitcat

smitcat

Aug 5, 2003
    Ithaca, NY
    Ive had the bass exciter for about a year now, and i like it a lot. I like that it adds just a little more bottom to it without sounding crappy or cheap. I will have a sansamp bddi soon, and im curious to see how the two sound together, or if it won't work.

3. A question about the Punch Factory - when I run the EQ fully boosted on my Ken Smith and plug that into the active/passive input on my SWR SM900, I get this spongy, soft slightly compressed feel. It doesn't really distort because I don't have enough gain in the basses EQ to really hit the preamp tube hard enough which is fine for me,... I'm not really looking for distortion.

So does the Punch Factory give that same sort of sound/feeling? How would you compare it to the BOSS LMB-3 using helpfull discriptive terms instead of godlike and crap? :)

Any sound clips? And does anyone use the DI out to drive the PA?

4. I havnt tried the DI output yet it claims to be studio quality so will have to see. Yes that spongy feel is typical compressor and the punch factory works with loads or as little compression as you dial in.
    It has two input settings one for Active basses and a second setting for passive basses. I tried both my active basses and left the setting on passive as it sounded more correct in terms of level etc.

The Aphex pedals are true by pass and while off you do not go via any electronic circuit but straight to the output jack so it doesnt colour your tone.

When on its really simple to use adjust the amount of compression and balance the off to on volume and you are set.

The Bass Exciter is also very nice and it is like adding more cabs to your rig as it fills out the sound. The Aural Exciter part is nice to add a bit of extra sparkle something that turning treble up on eq wasnt the same at all, it really adds a nice enhancement and it isnt noisy or hissy unlike the Boss LMB3 which is noisy as hell.
    The BIG Bottom part is great this actually makes the rig sound fuller and gives you the perception of a louder rig and again you couldnt emulate this with just eq tweeking, it really does add something useful.

They will run off 9v batteries about 100 hrs or most 9v dc adaptors.

They are very very good and sound a worthy addition to beef up or enhance your rig further. In my opinion far better than Boss LMB3 and also BBE stuff , i hve tried them before and found them noisy and not true bypass.

Mart

5. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I've got the Punch Factory. I really dig it. I use it for both bass and guitar, and it compresses nicely without pumping and breathing, or sucking the life out of my tone. For years I eschewed compression, but I've become a fan recently of an aggressive, semi-squashed tone, and this pedal fits the bill for me.

6. Groovehunter

Groovehunter

Dec 3, 2004
    i find the aphex punch factory really controls my gain which is nice. It smoothens out my direct tone without colouration in such a way that the bass just sounds phat and punchy, it just helps me kick out the groove a lot more.

I use a sansamp bddi as well, and am looking at picking the exciter up for xmas.

Toys toys toys lol :bassist:

7. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I was just thinking to myself earlier that to complete my pedalboard I need only one more pedal... something to beef up my tone. I was deciding between the Boss Bass Equalizer and the Aphex Bass Xciter, and was having trouble, but with this review I think the choice is clear! Thanks. :)

Graeme

P.S. Merry Christmas!

8. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    I also have the Exciter, had it about a year but cant seem to get a good tone through my Ashdown MAG C-115.
    Any of you guys like to tell me what settings you use please.
    Thanks
    Dave.

9. Bass both on 4, the Aural exciter on 4 with aural exciter level on 7.

I use the passive switch in even though i use an active bass.

10. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Thanks ill give it a try. maybe i just like the sound of my amp/bass as it is.
    Dave.

11. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I have used both the Xciter and SABDDI together and they work great. The only thing I've found is that you need to run the Xciter before the SABDDI (i've found you cannot put it in an effects loop either) as it cannot handle the higher gain. If anyone has differing thoughts on this, let me know. :)

12. I asked Aphex where the best place and in what order of placement and it is like this Punch Factory ( compressor ) into Bass Exciter into input on Bass amp.