Wow, blast from the past! My most valuable collection!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mmbongo, Jan 12, 2015.

1. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Have a look at my bass collection in the year 1999!

steinzontorwick.jpg

Warwick Thumb
    Steinberger XQ-25
    SSD/Spector NS-4
    Zon Sonus Special

Probably $7000 worth of basses right there. That's not the highest number of basses I've had at one time, but definitely the most valuable. This was 1999 and I got married about a year later and these were all gone by then! I don't really miss them though, and not sure I would want any of them back.
    Thumb- Small body too small for my fat body, lots of neck dive.
    Steinberger- Narrow spacing, hard to find strings now.
    SSD/Spector- Had a weak E string that I could never fix.
    Zon- Very neck heavy, narrow spacing, neck very thin, atrocious Wilkinson bridge.

After I sold these and got married and bought a house, I bought a Warwick Streamer Pro-M and a small Behringer amp to get me by. Sold that and bought a Music Man Bongo and mmbongo was born! Sold that too :)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  2. 80jazz

80jazz

Jun 28, 2008
    Kansas
    I wonder if a new P pickup in that Spector would have sorted out the weak E (unless I am misinterpreting the phrase "weak E".)

3. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Cool!

In 1999 I had a 2 year old and a 4 year old.... and an Aria Pro bass I bought at a garage sale for $25.:woot:

Before I was married, I had a couple of old Fenders, a Gibson G3, a Stingray and a couple of other cool basses. I sold all my stuff in 1995 when I got married, bought my first house and started having kids.

blindrabbit likes this.
  4. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Very well could have. I never tried different pickups in it. If I had that bass now it would have had at least 5 different sets of pickups in it :)

5. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I miss the days of disposable income. Had a good IT job right out of school, lived at home with no rent...man that was nice. $2500 for a Zon? Sure. $2000 Warwick? Yeah gimmie that!

6. stuntbass77

stuntbass77

Nov 6, 2007
    Warwicks prices really went up since I sold my last one.

7. VSN_Guitars

VSN_Guitars Commercial User

Dec 28, 2014
    Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
    Owner/Operator of VSN Guitars. www.vsnguitars.com
    Used to have one of the first ever made Warwick Streamers stage II with green LED position markers on the upper edge of freeboard. Bought it originally directly from Warwick factory in Germany and paid 2800 German Marks (approximately 1400 Euro, Germany switched to Euro later). In the late nineties decided to buy a house and put it up for sale on ebay with starting price of $2000. 3 guys got in to a bidding war and the bass sold for $6300. Guy who bought it drove from Ottawa to Hamilton to get it. Forgot his name, but he told me that he was touring with Alanis Morissette at that time . I still deeply regret that I sold it.

8. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    In 1999 I had an ESP 400 Series Jazz and a Rickenbacker 4003. Things are oh so different now, but I still have that ESP. It's a take it to the grave kind of bass.

9. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    My Dog Sam Eats Purple Flowers
    I used to own a lot of Rickenbackers

Rimg1142.jpg

Now I own 3

b 226.jpg

10. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    Ya think?

Nice family portrait.

11. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Nice Rick collections!! :)

I also had a Rick (yeah just one!) before these other basses. Had to have one because Geddy played one. I remember not liking it at all because it sounded nothing like Geddy's so I sold it :)

rick1.jpg

12. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

Jul 30, 2012
    And a better couch! ;)

13. TripleDouble

TripleDouble Guest

Aug 5, 2008
    Funny, I'm getting married this year, and currently selling off all my heaps of extra stuff to fund that and some fancy home renovations. I feel no pain and almost relieved when I sell things and replace them with far more modest tools that are more finely tuned to how I actually play now. Is this, dare I say it, maturity?

PullThePlug likes this.
  14. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    NOOOOO!!!!

tumblr_inline_nbvmyrnZt21t0duhj.gif

15. john_g

john_g Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Yeah it stinks when I think back because I played from the ages of 16-23, then just tooled around at home by myself from 24 to 35. By the time I got back into it, I was married with two young kids. In my mid 20s, I had a really good job and lots of disposable income, but I wasnt playing in bands, so I missed that carefree era that I now wish I could have back! Ive since made up for it with a few of my "bucket list" basses, but I could have had all of them 20 years ago had I been playing! Stupid!

16. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

I dunno about all this. From the early 1980s to about five years ago, the only bass I had was a Gibson EB-2dc. We bought our house in 1987 and had a kid in 1990, so I didn't play much at all from 1991 or so to about 2008. At that point, the kid was about to go off to college. I had thought about selling off everything several times, but never got around to it. Sometimes not getting around to something is a winner!

I didn't have disposable income when I was in college, and didn't have disposable income right out of college. When we bought our house and had a kid, the disposable income I had at that point turned into disposed income. Now that our son is on his own, I have disposable income for what really is the first time. I could get used to this! But, the chances of spending it on a bunch of expensive instruments is about zero. After all that time, I have come to understand that I'm a hack who should leave the boutique stuff to people who can actually tell the difference. I sure can't.

I still have the EB-2, though. That will go to somebody else when I keel over.

17. PullThePlug

PullThePlug

Jan 8, 2014
    Sacramento
    I actually did a clean house about 5 months ago. Sold almost everything, and reinvested in better gear and my own luxuries/bills. It was liberating to say the least.

18. I had a VW Jetta GT way back in the day, and it's interior looked just like that couch. Those 90's design patterns just scream the words, 'psychedelic vomit'. Great collection, btw.

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.3dentourage.com%2F425%2FRimg1142.png

19. Chris Chaney was with her from 98 to maybe 03ish. No chance it was him? That'd been cool.

Moosehead1966 likes this.
  20. deste

deste

Sep 14, 2009
    Bologna, Italy, Europe
    Endorsing Artist: GullanskyLab pickups
    Is there something wrong in me? Now that I'm married I've reached my top number of bass : 8 (plus a borrowed one, but I think the legit owner, a good friend of mine, won't see it back too soon, although it's only a humble Korean Squier...).
    I must also confess that my wife ignores my last purchase, since I keep many of them at my father's place...

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021