1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wow! Buyers market. What's up?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by kokorollc, Oct 17, 2013.

1. kokorollc

kokorollc

May 22, 2008
    Sorry. I know this is not the proper place but it seems like buyers ( or disposable income) has disappeared over the last year. I keep seeing some really nice basses not moving unless they're basically given away. That said, it's good to see people holding on to stuff until the right buyer is there. Lowball sales negatively affect all of our investments. Still, when Sadowskys aren't even moving you know something is up. Props to everyone who refuses to sell low unless circumstances demand it. I know the market is always there for new gear but when you can get a $5000 bass for $2000 it seems like a no brainer. These things don't wear out like cars. They only get better if properly cared for.

2. R&B

R&B Both kinds of music: Rhythm AND Blues! Supporting Member

Amen brother. Buy low, sell lower. Only UPS and FedEx are benefiting from this crippled bass economy. :bawl:

3. jeff62

jeff62 Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Or, the market has adjusted appropriately and sellers expectations are unrealistic. Instruments are, with few exceptions, not investments. Just say'in.

4. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    I was having this very conversation earlier this evening-it is a buyers market
    big difference from last year. things that sold in minutes last year took weeks this year

5. lowendmafia

lowendmafia Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2007
    Sacramento, California
    It's terrible because the deals are so great I can't stop myself from buying, but when I need to sell... It's crickets.

6. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

This.

7. kokorollc

kokorollc

May 22, 2008
    I agree that some expectations are pretty high but more power to em if they're willing to wait for the right buyer.

8. Ed P

Ed P

Aug 4, 2007
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

9. R&B

R&B Both kinds of music: Rhythm AND Blues! Supporting Member

True...but the market adjustment reflects a deep malaise. :\ No fun.

10. There are many that say our economy is improving but I see many indicators like here on this forum and others like it, that either it is not true (which I don't believe it is) or the perception is that people are waiting to see if it is real. In either case it equals lots of supply and low demand and subsequently lower prices.

11. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    Yeah, I went a little crazy buying basses the last 14 months when I should have been stocking up on Ramen Noodles.

12. BassistForJesus

BassistForJesus

Sep 28, 2010
    All this selling great gear is madness if is a GAS things vs family needs thing.

All I want is for MTD to have a Sadowsky partner and I'm good for ever.

13. basschanges

basschanges Unconditionally Loving Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Talkbass has to be among the best venues for buying a bass.

Because of how knowledgeable this forum's members are, because many items sold here are big ticket items, because many people are still hurting in this economy, and because there is an implicit (and sometimes explicit) intention to not make a margin on a fellow member, but to merely recoup costs- an item rarely sells if it is priced above the market price.

A bass sold here is usually priced equal to or less than the same used bass in similar condition on any other site.

On the seller's side however, relatively obscure bass guitars are appreciated here and may sell more quickly here than through other venues. Instruments probably sell more quickly here, the lower average price notwithstanding.

Bottom line for me. If I'm looking to get rid of a bass quickly or sell a bass with a little known builder behind it, I'll come here. If I'm looking to see if I can make some money on a used Fender Jazz bass or other big name bass, I'll go another route.

14. SBsoundguy

SBsoundguy

Sep 2, 2011
    Los Angeles
    I've noticed this trying to move some drum equipment lately. Sold a barely used IC hihat stand for like 40% of its original price. Same with an AAX ride i'm trying to sell. I should be able to get $120 off of a $200 cymbal but the only offer i've gotten was a low ball $60.

15. xroads

xroads

Nov 6, 2012
    An instrument is not an investment (check with wikipedia), unless you are a pro who makes a living from music.

And, apparently, if the market softens, there is simply too little demand or too much supply. IMHO, there is too much supply right now.

16. x52dcd

x52dcd

Nov 29, 2010
    Canada
    Not only is there too much supply, there seems to be a large portion of very high end instruments. The gear market in general is already in the buyers favor, and that's even more true for when you're talking about $2k+ instruments. There are one or two on here now that I'd love to have, and I can afford to do so, but given that I only play in a bar once a month or so, that's not a scene where I really want to drag a very expensive instrument around.

Now, the one I have my eye on is listed at a pretty reasonable price, but if it were a few hundred lower I'd probably jump on it anyway - I'm just not the type to throw out lowball offers, even if it might work.

Lastly, I've seen a couple of FS threads where the seller references the previous ad where they bought the bass, and the current seller is asking *more* than they paid for it. I understand you're trying to recoup all your money, and then putting shipping on top of that, but c'mon. It's an open market, ask whatever price you want, just don't link to the previous ad with a lower price!

17. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    This is an interesting thread, although the mods should probably move it to a more appropriate forum.

What I've noticed is that, while the economy may be slightly better than it was a few years ago, people still have jitters about letting go of their cash, even for a fantastic deal. I mean it happens pretty frequently where I see something that is just priced-stupidly awesome and I still have to pass it up... because buying it would serve no real purpose and re-selling later to get my money back is never a guarantee anymore, even with super low initial costs.

18. j.kernodle

j.kernodle Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    This happened around the same time last year. 4th quarter slow down. people have families back in school. holidays are around the corner. there were several posts just like this in the October November Time frame. it'll pass.

19. Daedraziel

Daedraziel

Aug 19, 2013
    Toms River NJ
    I've been a long time guest to this forum and have noticed the same trend that everyone is commenting about. I recently got a new better paying job that allows me to finally get the gear I've always wanted and this is the time to do it for sure.

I feel bad throwing a lowball offer for some things, but more often than not, the seller will part with it for a quick infusion of cash. I'm not sure if that's a market trend or just desperate people needing to offload some toys on a busy internet market...that being said, the supply is far greater than the demand and there are phenomenal instruments remaining unsold for weeks at cheap prices. Buyers market for sure

Bottom line...The forums are FLOODED with great and affordable gear from every maker out there. This "GAS" nonsense is a real problem for people in the position to afford themselves disposable income. There is such a thing as too many toys.

(I WILL find a dingwall soon I know it)

20. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus

Nov 4, 2012
    Boston
    This!

I have 8 basses and no job right now! but I have a 6-pack of ramen noodles!