1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wow check out this craigslist bass for sale!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hrgiger, Apr 8, 2010.

1. hrgiger

hrgiger

Jan 11, 2009
    When you click a boring CL link that says only "4 STRING BASS" you don't usually think of one like this. I've never seen one of these before by warwick, when I first saw the pic I thought it must be a stein:

http://quadcities.craigslist.org/msg/1681458860.html

[​IMG]

>>I have no knowledge of this bass just wanted to share the link.

2. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    Seen it (IIRC) warwick's discontinued models list

3. itsalljustaride

itsalljustaride

Sep 23, 2009
    I had never seen one or heard of them before I got my Warwick a while ago and got involved in the community. They're a signature bass for Nobby Miedel (sp?). They pop up every now and again. Some look better than others. I'd qualify this one as one of the better looking ones. Not a fan of headless basses meself, but they've got character.

4. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    Nobby6.

Pic but I couldn't find on warwicks page

5. JDJen

JDJen

Mar 18, 2010
    Are they made to play in an upright position too? Just wondering what that brass piece is at the back of the bass.

6. I believe that is to put a strap on so it won't be in a horrible position.

7. who

who

Apr 20, 2007
    Washington DC
    I believe it's the output jack.

8. MrBEAR

MrBEAR In Memoriam

Warwick Knobby Meidel model was oft featured in Bass Player Magazine for a fairly long run, iirc.

Cheers,

Mr. BEAR

9. That hole is too big to be the output jack.
    I think it's for a stand, for playing upright.

Strap knob must be on the back of the body?

Cool bass.

10. if you look on the warwick site at the picture beside the blurb on the bass, it shows the bass sitting on the stand using that brass hole there

11. hrgiger

hrgiger

Jan 11, 2009
    Interestingly, it appears to have the same Schaller 3way adjustable bridge which was also factory on the Kramer - "Duke" and by way of copy infringement also the Hondo - "Alien" basses...

DSC01571.

12. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    John Entwistle had one, used it to record on the Govt Mule Deep End cd. You can see him playing it in Govt Mule's DVD "Rising Low"
    $2k for the bass and the case isn't an unreasonable price.

13. hrgiger

hrgiger

Jan 11, 2009
    I hate to say it but to me the Warwick body shape and machine head locations and the big metal thingy make it fairly ugly IMO, though the woodwork is beautiful. I find the aesthetics of the "Alien" I posted much more pleasing...

14. Funkadelik

Funkadelik

Apr 27, 2010
    I had one of these in '84 as our new "management" was hoping our group would head in a "Thompson Twins" type direction. I hated that music, but hated the plastic feel of the Steinberger even more, so I bought #026 Nobby, not knowing that later it would become really quite sought after. The stem of the strings sticking out of the posts often caught me in the palm no matter how I tried to curl them, and where the Nobby was held across the body was really forward, forcing me to stretch my arm at full length to play the first fret. Really, I was looking for any reason to ditch it and swap for a P-Bass for it's ballsy tone and classic look. So I did. That was 25 years ago. I recently found a Nobby and bought it back for twice the price it once was. I've grown some and really enjoy it now.

And yes, the stand fits in the bottom peg hole, but only for placing on the floor: it's not a standup.

I have a few basses, and this one has the most unique sound and character of all.

15. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    With a name like hrgiger I can't understand why you'd like the "Alien" so much better. :D