Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wow, check out those tubes!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by guac mole, Aug 8, 2001.

1. guac mole

guac mole

Jun 6, 2001
    San Diego, Ca
    Here's some questions maybe you tube techs can help me with.

Is a preamp with 5 tubes necessarily warmer sounding than a preamp with two tubes (ex. ampeg svp-pro vs. aguilar 659) or does the circuitry invovled play an important role?

Is there a point of diminishing return with tubes? For example, if someone were to make a prototype of an amp with 50 tubes and all the bells and whistles, weighing in at only 20lbs, would we all want to buy it?

thanks,
    guacamole

I never got welcomed here at talkbass like all the other newbies, where did i go wrong?

2. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    No, more does not mean better. In the case of the SVP-Pro and many other multiple-tube preamps, your signal only goes through one or two tubes, maybe three if you are using the effects loop. Another tube is usually there for driving DI in some cases.

My Kern had 3 tubes; I was only using two of them in reality. The Aguilar DB-659 is the same way.

My favorite tube preamp, the Alembic F1-X, has one and only one tube. Period. And to me it sounds better than the Kern or Aguilar (YMMV). It's not how many you have, it's what you do with it!

Nightbass

3. one tube is not enough for smooth overdrive, due to the physical nature of tubes. (push-pull effect)

Just my useless 2 eurocents.

4. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    Hmmmmmm, very interesting. I love my Mesa Boogie 400+ with 12 tubes but could they have used fewer?

5. some amps run in A/B mode by default, which means that only half of the tubes is working simultaneously, effectively making two sets of tubes.

When set 1 is working, set 2 can cool off to increase tube life, and vice-versa.