Wow... college textbooks

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Davidoc, Aug 2, 2004.

1. $450 per semester. And that's with all used textbooks. (at least for this semester.) The textbook companies can charge so much because there are no alternatives; if a proffesor is teaching out of a certain book, that's the book you have to get. Result? Mandatory outrageous spending on textbooks, every semester. This is sick.
  2. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Yeah. Or do what i do, and stand in the store and read them.

Thats cheap.

Take your reading list to your library before anyone else does, and borrow them. then its free AND you get to take the book home. wow.
  3. lcook

Mar 20, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    There is a secret weapon that I used in your situation that literally saved me hundreds of dollars a semester. You can find books there for ridiculously low prices, sometimes they're kinda tattered but if it's only something you're using for a semester, it shouldn't be a problem. Hope that helps

4. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I hope you didn't buy them already.

I usually wait till about a week or so after classes start because sometimes the prof will tell you that you don't need certain books.

Other ways to get around those prices.
    - make a good "friend" in the class and borrow there book. I have saved TONS of cash doing this.
    - check out your library. Sometimes they have the text you need on references, you can only rent it for a certain amout a time per day, but this is useful
    - buy used or check out

Plus always remember at the end of the semester you get to sell them back. Sometimes you can get a lot and sometimes you don't get much at all. Just depends.
  5. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Also sometimes profs end up making their tests completely out of the notes. I had classes where I ended up selling back a still-sealed textbook that I never cracked at the end of the semester. What a waste!

I've heard that some people are selling grey market books too...where they ship the same books back from other countries, where they are much cheaper, and sell them in the US over the internet.

brad cook
  6. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Just wait til you get further into your major when there's a new edition each semester. You won't get crap when you try to sell them back, and you'll be stuck buying new ones because the old editions will be out of date...
  7. jucas

Dec 14, 2003
    Yep, I dropped a grand on books this year and opened 3 of them. I refuse to buy books till I actually need them this year unless they sound interesting. One can usually get assignments online, so the book isn't really helpfull.

Gonna try to sell the used ones to first year kids at prices a bit under the bookstore's used rate. Buyback from the bookstore always sucks.

Library is a good plan too, sometimes you're out of luck if there's a new edition though. (that's been every 2 years for me)
  8. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

"out of date" should be in quotes. Buy backs are the huge ripoff.
    It's even more of a ripoff when you keep the books you use in good shape, hoping that the condition is somehow valued at the time of turn-in. NOT!
  9. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    My last quarter was 700$ on books and 300 on registration... yeah and this is community college :(

10. I go to a community college too and just dropped $530 for 15 hours of classes...I'm sure my books will cost more than that in itself :rollno:
  11. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Exactly, like adding another appendix and changing the color of the spine suddenly puts the old edition in the stone ages.
  12. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I believe mine average about 300, but since a reprint of an old edition (read new, updated edition) comes out every semester, the couple I can sell back gives me an average of 80-100 dollars.

Also, don't get tickets on campus, very ridiculously expensive. 35 bucks for parking partially over a yellow line dividing a teacher parking spot from a student spot. Mind you this was a week after school ended and I was parked there for a total of five minutes, oddly enough I only stopped to sell my books back. :D
  13. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Luckily the books dont cost that much here - but incomes are way lower here, as well.
    Another good thing is that there are lots of books in the library and if they have all been borrowed, there still is a reading room, where you can read: the books there cannot be taken home, so they are availble.
    Also, there is another, not quite legal way some people handle getting copies of expensive books :ninja:
  14. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    My first semester of graduate School I spent $1000. on books. One book was $175. !

My student loans will be paid off just as my oldest son starts college...
  15. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah that's why there's a thriving grey market textbook industry here. The companies basically fix the prices. There's at least one lawsuit out there for price fixing at this time.

brad cook