Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wow! Fretless and Flats in metal!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Palomorado, Oct 11, 2004.

1. so yesterday at rehearsal my drummer asked me to try out my fretless on our more metal/heavy tunes.

WOW!!!

what a killer sound. i assumed that the flats wouldn't work for these tunes but it was really killer...even with a pick.
    the fretless was also a blast to play...
    the SINGER even commented on it.
    she said the bass was so huge she could sit on it.

the moral of the story is playing fretless with a pick and a set of flats is great for the heavy stuff.

however,
    it looks as if i have to start bringing another bass to gigs.

2. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Didn't Steve Harris use flats?

3. Kheos

Kheos

Aug 12, 2002
    Belgium
    don't you just love it when chicks come to you and say they wanna sit on your bass?

anyway, that's some good advice man, I play the heavy stuff also(well, actually where heavy and melody collide :d) and I was seriously thinking about defretting my old hartke 4 string

4. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Yup! Rotosound RS77. He has a sig series of strings now with Rotosound

5. yeah, i knew that Harris played flats but i haven't heard of much fretless in metal...except on some "ballady" sections.

and we do the heavy meets melody thing as well!

6. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I play flats on a fretted, often with a pick.

Great sound.

7. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I play fretless in the band for all of our songs, including a Hammerfall-esque epic metal song -- with TI flats and a felt pick :D. The pick is only for the epic metal one though...sounds great with the fuzztone modelling on my digitech BP50.

8. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    I play a fretless with flats in a metal situation all the time. I like the unique sound it brings to the table.

9. i use the steve harris rotosound flats, yes theyre awesome. i like fretless, but havent gotten enough money to get a fretless stringray 5 just yet.

10. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    If your singer actually notices a difference in tone you know you're on to something.

11. picknslap

picknslap

Sep 9, 2004
    Manteca
    Steve DiGiorgio played a fretless, he was in Testament, and Death as well as a few others.

12. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA
    I thought the old bassist in Opeth used a fretless too, but I could be wrong. There are a couple Iced Earth songs on the Horror Show album that use a fretless.

But yeah I'm wanting a fretless myself.

13. picknslap

picknslap

Sep 9, 2004
    Manteca
    awesome, I'll have to check that out, I've always liked any Opeth that I heard, I just never got really into them. They have some pretty creative basslines though.

14. i will have to go listen to ORCHID and MORNIGNRISE again. you may be right but those are the two Opeth records i've listened to the least.

15. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA
    I believe there is one on "To Bid You Farewell" (One of my favorite slow songs) And I believe there is a fretless, but I could be wrong.

16. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I've been playing flats on fretless for 15 years.
    Killer sound, now they are becomimg popular again.

17. lame(B)ass

lame(B)ass

Jun 18, 2004
    Slovakia

Horror Show was recorded by Steve DiGiorgio. Go figure...
    :)

18. I used fretless and rounds in a metal band if you and, ask me rounds on a fretless for metal are much more fitting, it gives you an amazing GRRRRRRRROWL on the low notes.

19. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Sean Malone has used a fretless for the vast, vast majority of his recordings. In fact, I believe that he was thinking of ordering a fretted neck for his Kubicki (his main bass has been an Ibanez GWB1 for several years and the Kubicki has been sitting unused) simply to have one on hand for session work and the rare fretted track. He is, simply, a "fretless bassist" first and foremost.

...and it doesn't get much heavier than Cynic. :help:

20. i think hat last part is perhaps the best - definatly onto something here. ;)