Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wow...I actually have Precision GAS.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by darkside 88, Aug 22, 2005.

1. darkside 88

darkside 88

Feb 23, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I always thought myself as Jazz/MM GASser... but the Am. Deluxe P in 3-Color Sunburst has caught my attention. I didn't get to much luck using the search function, so I'm kindly asking for personal accounts of this...classic yet modern beauty.

2. well.... i just loooove the sound of the good ol' P. :bassist: And of course it looks good too. Just try one, you'll instantly love it!! :D

3. victobass

victobass

Nov 27, 2003
    Florida,USA
    I've got a 2000 Am Std. 3 color sunburst and it is a sweet bass. It doesn't play as easy as my MM, but my bandmates all say it sounds the best of all my basses. I'll probably own this one forever!

4. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    The American Deluxe P-bass in sunburst with a tort guard and maple neck is IMHO the nicest looking bass. I used to own one but I sold it cause I liked the passive P-sound more.

5. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I had a '99 Am. Deluxe P with natural ash body, maple board, and tort guard, which I also thought was gorgeous. It had amazing playability too, but I also preferred the passive P-bass tone, so I sold it and bought a 2004 Am. Ser. P. I didn't think the double J bridge humbucker did all that much either. I bet I'd like the new version with the 18v pre though, because I thought the pre was a weakness on the '99.

6. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Yeah mine was a 97 with the 9v. Didn't do it for me so I sold it and ended up with a Stingray, and now I'm selling that so I can get a Sterling lol. My Custom SX P-bass is all the P I need right now.

7. relayer66

relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    Yep, I just played one of the new '57 reissues, black with a gold pickguard, and I can't get it off of my mind. It just looked cool and the vintage vibe was oozing out of it.
    Still I'll probably get another J-bass. I just don't like the big ol' neck on the Precision.

8. At some point or another, we ALL get the Precision urges.

I tend to keep them under control by reminding myself that I love P+J more and that I will not need another instrument lying around so long as I have my P+J machine.

9. I tamed my P GAS (FOR NOW) by acquiring a spiffy 3TS '78 Ibanez Challenger P Copy. This thing has plenty of vintage vibe with foam mutes under the bridge cover to boot.

P BASS! HOOAHH!

10. I had P-gas too. I cured mine by buying a 2005 American Std. It's black with a black pickguard and maple neck. I put a Seymour Duncan Vintage P pickup in it and now it's ever so fat.

I've been playing it a lot. I've always wanted a P-bass so I finally got one. :hyper:

11. darkside 88

darkside 88

Feb 23, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I'm quite interested in that humbucker in the bridge postion.

12. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Welcome to the other side :) My P-bass is the first bass I've had where I couldn't want for another bass (Is this the END to the GAS? :D) Possibly..:)

13. darkside 88

darkside 88

Feb 23, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I've heard the P's reputation as an everymans bass....but this one has an extra humbucker for even more options.

:)

14. darkside 88

darkside 88

Feb 23, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    But seriously, any comments on this bass? Hands on time you'd like to share?

15. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    I have permanent GAS for a P bass. Every time I hear one in a song that's recorded reasonably well the sound is instantly recognizable. I love the feel of the wide neck and the classic design of the body.

As far as the american deluxe, I guess it could be a nice bass if that's what you want. To me, you get a P bass because you want a P bass, I dont want any bonus features or extra pickups or frets on there.

16. Well, my first bass many years ago was a Mexican Precision bass. Mind you, it was (what I believe now to have been) a lemon with a pretty poor setup (even after many luthier jobs) so it was not that great of a first impression. It's tone however, was very much utilitarian. Like an SUV, so to speak. Nothing fancy, but it'll lug you and all of your crap (your band for example ;) ) around from point A to point B.

Now, the American Precisions are vicious animals. These things sound and record remarkably well, not to mention feel a whole lot different. I've played a more recent Precision (sans the S-1 switch) and in a word, it was powerful. It had a very "punch you in the gut" tone that really works well in any environment, hands down.

17. welcome to the fold ;)

18. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I've found that with my P, it is pretty versatile. Just from using the tone control and even your hand position to some extent, you can get a few different, not complete tones, but different variations on the P tone, which all work good in most contexts IMO.

19. AGCurry

AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City
    I'm not sure that the Deluxe version is all that representative of the classic Precision bass. It's a great instrument, but you won't find it in the dictionary under "P bass".

Having had many Precision basses, my favorites among them have been a '74 ash natural with maple board (stolen) and, currently, my 62 reissue. THOSE are Ps.

20. gwreid

gwreid

Apr 8, 2005
    Utah
    My GAS is long over. This beauty is 33 years old but what curves!!!

Attached Files: