Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

wow, I don't see a hockey thread yet

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by The Antipop, Jul 23, 2005.

1. though my eyes have turned more to football now, still hockey is back with alot of rule changes

out of all the ones though does this mean no more triple OT playoffs?

Penguins first round pick... his career is ruined :p

2. the one freakin time I just skim through and don't search.

Newbies search or you'll look like an ass like me.

deleteage?

3. Of the rule changes, the one that I find hardest to accept is the overtime/shootout one. I can understand the need to eliminate ties (and teams playing for a tie... the one point to a losing team in overtime was ridiculous). However I think that shootouts aren't the best idea. I'm kind of split on it. The fans will enjoy it (particularly in newer hockey markets and with the younger crowd) but when a 65 minute game is determined by 3 penalty shots by each team, that's got to be frustrating for many people. What if a team with mediocre players keeps its composure and plays a tight, strategic, team-oriented game for 65 minutes. How will they beat Detroit (or some team with a lot of individual talent) in a shootout?

I like Crosby going to Pittburgh. They've had some good days in the past. I would have enjoyed him going to Colombus or Carolina, to help the hockey market there, but in a way it wouldn't have been the best choice. What if hockey still didn't really pick up there? What if Crosby was forced to play in front of 5000 people a night (in Carolina ;))?

Montreal got pretty close, I guess. Maybe we'll pick up another good player. We haven't gotten such a great pick since 1984 (and as you can tell, we've been quite weak on draft picks since the early 90s... where are all the first round draft picks that should have been stars?).

4. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    Crosby going to the Penguins is good IMO...maybe he'll learn a thing or two from Mario and they can finally be good again. I would have been pissed to see him go to an newer team (Atlanta, Nashville, Columbus, Carolina, Minnesota)...They'd wind up having to build a team around him...I'd rather see him in a secondary role, like he is going to be in in Pittsburg (Mario will be #1 til he retires AGAIN).

I'm kinda worried about my Avs though...Foote, Forseberg, Kariya, Selanne...all unrestricted free agents (the first two and the major ones they need). Then again, this could be the time for them to pick up another great offensive blue-liner (Nedermeiyer?), cuz Blake can only do so much alone...it helped a lot when Bourque was there...

5. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Crosby can kick ass against teenagers. great. I'd like to see him in the ECHL and see if he is still dominant.... i dont think this kid is the next gretzky. the hype will get to him.

6. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO

Yeah, ya think? ;) He is probably one of the best defensemen ever, next to Bobby Orr of course. Bourque was also one of the most underrated players out there, he didn't get any recognition until after he retired, really. :spit: But surely I'm not forgetting Al MacInnis?!?!? :D

7. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    I was voting for NHL to go away and new legue to start... to bad it didnt happen... welcome back NHL... i hate the people who run you...

PS STOP WITH RETARDED RULE CHANGING EVERY FREAKEN HALF OF YEAR... I AM TIRED OF YOU GUYS MESSING WITH A GAME... make your final changes and leave it the hell alone... stop trying to justify your jobs by doing useless stuff...

I think i ma go to a pickup game next week... it will be fun... especially since it hit 110 today...

PS As we are on some sort of subject of great players and bring back old school... Valery Kharlamov... one of the best... if you ever get a chance to watch his old games and read his biography do so... he is great... My favorite player of all time... I mean just watch 1972 finals…

Canada couldn’t stop the guy so they broke his legs because he scored twice and had 1 assist in 1st period... when who ever you are playing has to break your legs to stop you... you know guy is good...

Clarke sucks…Team of century my big fat hairy… Yeah… we cant stop the guy so we just break his legs… Anyway 1972 before they broke his leg:)

8. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    I have the solution to the NHL's problems, and it's quite simple.

PLAY 4 ON 4!!!

9. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK

eeewwww?

10. Though I can't see this realistically happening, it would open the game up quite a bit. Or, they could just change to international-sized ice. I watched part of a game in Sweden, and it was pretty cool - passes found their targets, play was fast and moved up and down the ice.

11. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    yeah...

Or just change everything to International rules/ice and never mess with the game again... really the game becomes faster and more fun... and less confusing... slightly less hitting but more good plays on both defence and offence...

Plus i play a center... i really dont like idea of 4-4 even in overtime... i vote more ice... and international rules... but as dumb as nhl is i think them putting a game 4 on 4 is more realistic then admitting that someone does job better then them...

12. I didnt check to see the changes that they made, but hopefully they didnt change the size of the nets(come on, theyve been that way since...well its been a really really long time). Im a goalie and changing the net size would screw you up so bad...the equipment isnt that big of a change(unless Al MacInnis is winding up).

I hope my Bolts can continue their domination(yes I do live in Calgary and yes I also cheer for the Flames...I was happy as a pig in dung during the last finals). But 30th pick, bah! They got shafted.

I missed hockey, but Im still not totally sure Im going to be as into it as I was before. This whole lockout put a bad taste into my mouth.

13. Whoa!!!!!! People Watch hockey????? :confused:

14. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    It's pretty funny if you listen to CBC, hockey is usually at the top of the hour. :D

15. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    *In response to playing 4 on 4*
    Please, name me 2 negative aspects of playing 4 on 4. Honestly, I can't think of anything that would take away from the game by converting to this system. Cut the teams down to 15 skaters and 2 goalies, 3 full lines, and send the 4th liners back to the minors. [/John Madden voice] BOOM! Now you have your salary cap. [\John Madden voice] Not to mention you see the stars more often, and the crowd is definitely more involved in the game, because of the constant 2 on 1 and 3 on 2 plays going on. If they converted to this, I guarantee you, Mens Wearhouse Style, that there would be: more fan turnout = more $$$ = happy owners+players = successful recovery of the NHL as we know it. Forget slimming down on goalie equipment, removing the redline, calling penalties for clutch and grab, etc.etc.etc. This is the only change that is necessary. IMO. Oh, and all you fightin fans out there, you'd like this equation

More goals scored = more tempers flaring = fists flying+knocked out teeth+blood = happy NHL fan :)

16. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    The NHL ruined itself. Soon as the Yzermans, Hulls, Lemuexs, ect retires, the league is going to wither and die.

17. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO

Yeah..ok pal. :rolleyes: That's exactly the reason why Reebok bought out CCM.

18. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    It's true, there is very little young talent. These players can't even produce more then two 50 goal scorers throughout the ENTIRE league. I remember when some teams would have 2 or 3 players scoring 50+ goals every season.

Not to mention all these newer hockey arenas have stupid names. Pepsi Center?? National Car Rental Arena? Air Canada center? Give me a break.

19. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    Eh, break given. :D

I myself happen to have the last name of a stadium here in Chicago. Well, my name USED to be the name of the Park, and then I guess we sold out to a cell phone company....damn now I can't get free box seats anymore....stupid cell phone company.... :spit: