Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wow... I had the most awsome concert experience.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mike Money, Apr 17, 2003.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Concert:

The Starting Line:bassist:

No Use For A Name:bassist:

Sum41:bassist:

No seats, just an old room in a store... around 250-400 people, maybe.

Ya, so me and Kevin show up at around 5:15, sat around till the doors opened at 6:00.

People start moving, we get searched, and we get inside.

I was shocked...

The concert was in an old Montgomery Ward building that was renovated into a mall-type thing... They call it Montgomery World Plaza...

Anyways, the concert was in what looked like a dance hall or something. There was a wooden dance floor, and a counter area that looked like it used to be a bar... The room was about.. eh... 35-50 feet wide, slimming as you went towards the back... and there was probably 25yd between the stage and the back wall..

There was probably around 250-400 people inside...

The Starting Line Comes out, I didn't even know who they were, so I thought it was No Use For A Name, they played about six songs, mosh pits, jumping around, the crowd swaying left to right all that good stuff. They kicked arse, then I found out it was not No use for a name, which was all cool... more bands to watch. They got excellent crowd reaction.

Break time, me and kevin go piss, and run some water over our sweaty heads... we were seriously dripping.

No Use For A Name comes out, getting a very good crowd reaction, the crowd starts jumping around and moving.. I was pushed up behind one of the most beatiful girls I have ever seen for most of their set, so that was all good :)

Most of their set, the younger crowd (My self) didn't recognize, but their new stuff like "Dumb Reminders" really got people going... I got pushed into a pit, and I was all off balance trying to get out, so me and this dude with a mohawk run headlong into eachother. Ouch.

Break time: Back to the bathroom, get soda.

Sum41

Amazing. The dark skinned geetarist (I cannot remember his name, and don't know what race he is, so don't get mad.) Is the most underrated player in the POP(Happy now?) punk world that I can think of.

They started out the set with songs i didn't know, the crowd was going crazy, people pushing and shovin... Then they go into Fat Lip, which drove everyone crazy... we were all singing along... and instead of "What would you expect with a conscience so small" it was "What would you expect with a (Insert word for male genetalia) so small?"

Then they played a love song about Anna Nicole Smith. The only love song they have. It was titled "Anna Nicole Smith is a STUPID F#%!*& C@^$" That was funny.

Then hell song, then something else... then something else... then still waiting... then they asked what songs we wanted to hear...he was all "You #%@^$^ probably wanna hear some Avril Lavigne #@%%"... we were all screaming motivation... but some arse yelled "Korn" so the u83r geetarist dude started playing blind, but then derryck was all "isn't korn from bakersfield?" we semi-cheer... and he was all "F$%@ KORN AND AVRIL LAVIGNE TO!!! SCREW KORN! HERE IS SOME REAL METAL!" And they play a bit of Nothing Else Matters. everyone was happy. I think I was the first one to realize it was metallica.(EDIT: For all you people who just love pointing it out, the metallica thing they did, they did as a joke, they, as well as everyone in that room, knew damned well that nothing else matters is not metal. Get off your high horse.)

Then more stuff... then they played "Grab the devil by the horns" and we were like WOOT! And ya... Then they left... then we made them come back, they played motivation, then pain for pleasure... and then the show was over.

I loved it. LOVED IT.

Mosh pit stories: I stayed away from the pits when I could, I got pushed in, and then I was trying to get out, but then me and some dude with a mohawk run headlong into eachother.

atleast 5 crowd surfers landed on my head... me and 3 other dudes launched some chick 15 feet to the security gaurds...

And My back hurts.

But it is all good, because half of N.U.F.A.N's set, i was pressed behind the most beatiful woman in the building which made the experiece awsome and well worth it.

2. But, but Avril is hot :bawl:

3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    She is hot... But she looks sorta funky when her teeth show...

4. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Good thing they played "real metal".

5. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Isn't it?

They were obviously joking around... It was really quite funny.

6. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I bet.....*sigh*

*Metal preacher gets off of his soapbox, goes into a McDonalds for some "down time"*

7. Yeah, sounds like a good gig, apart from Sum 41 :p . NUFAN and Starting Line are two of my favourite bands, but I don't really like Sum 41 too much...ok to listen to but I wouldn't buy any of their CD's.

8. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    then they asked what songs we wanted to hear

They did that too when I saw the some month ago, I scream motivation too,

dereck looked at me and sez: you've got sh1tty taste...I hate that song ...

Héhé

By the way, the guitarist's name is Dave, and Yes he is a GOOD guitarist ...

9. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Mike, you dunnit again buddy :D

[​IMG]

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Actually I thought it was quite funny how that original post said absolutely nothing at all about music, as such.

So - lots about crowd, surroundings, people moving and dirty lyrics (snigger :rolleyes: ) - but absolutely nothing about music, gear, what the bass sounded like, for example etc. etc.

11. When I went to see Sum 41 last year when I used to liek the new music.. 'stuff' :p i really thought they stunk. Sounded aweful!

Cone had to be hitting the bass off his CABs before any sound came out, and the singing, well, not what it sounded like ont he album. :)

At least the crowds were good, gigs are always more fun if you got great crowds :):)

IMO, Dave is great, but Tom from Blink kicks his ass!!! :D

12. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    They did that to us also.

They just use that as one of their finale songs, thats why they tell people to shut they hate that song...

13. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Pamela Lee is even worse than Avril without makeup.
    -------------------------------------------------

I know some smarty pants is going to ask me this question eventually, so here is my answer.

Question: "That concert doesn't sound so great, in fact, it probaby actually sucked. Why are you so wound up over it?"

Answer:

Because the crowd was so small, but there was so much energy. There were no seats, everyone was crunched together in a small dance hall, sweating all over the place and eachother.

Being on the floor for the first time was amazing. I don't think I can ever go to a concert again and not be on the floor, I would know what I am missing and I would hate it.

There is something about being within 10 feet of the band, having them make eye contact with you, and interact with YOU.

Also, I caught 2 water bottles, one during NUFAN and the other during sum41, and I dumped it all over myself. If you are sitting in the seats in big arenas, you either get to sit there and be cold, or fry in the hot sun.

So ya... I also have no idea where i was going with that.

14. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    ......If you would like to make a call, please hang up, and try again.

15. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    I don't have to dial down the center, do I?

16. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Its nothing that profound, it just sounds like you attended a real punk rock show...with the exception of Sum41 of course. That being because they have a "real metal" twist...:rolleyes:

...like totally, WOOT!

17. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    hmm....:rolleyes:

bp13

18. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    Who's Kevin?

19. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Friend from school that I went to the show with.

20. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    sounds like this was great fun. i'm going to move it on over to miscellaneous for you. :)