Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

wow, I messed something up...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by cecile, Jun 2, 2005.

1. I just changed the strings on my 74 p-bass from DR high beams to TI Flats. With DR's I had no fret buzz, dead spots, and I had low tension. Now, with the flats: G and E string high tension, A D G extreme buzzing and dead spots. What is going on? I've never experienced this on this or any of my basses. Is it because of the different string gangue or something? :confused: :help: I think I'm going to slap these DR's back on.......

2. no need to do that, TI's are really low tension strings, and DR's are most definitely higher tension. All you need is a slight neck adjustment, if you're not comfotable doing this, take it to a tech; that being said it's a very easy adjustment if as with all things you take your time and do things intelligently.

The lower tension of your new strings means your neck has lost relief which usually leads to buzz on the frets below the 12th, mostly in the lower area of the neck. One thing to remember is that with these lower tension strings there is a good chance you won't be able to have your action as low as it was- with the same attack as a higher gauge/tension string the string will move more. You want to add a little relief by backing off the truss rod. Go on into the setup forum and you'll see a sticky with the exact information you need. Great sounding strings, give them a chance, especially on that P, it'll sound MONSTEROUS. Good luck, if you need anything else, feel free to PM me.