1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

wow, i suck with chords.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by fsf347, Mar 26, 2009.

1. fsf347

fsf347

Mar 28, 2008
    alright, im pretty confuuuused.

the first two measures are in Gm.

to my understanding, the notes that make up a Gm chord are G, A# and D.

how come there is an A, C, and D# in those two measures?

Also, below that, are two measures based on a D7 Chord.

Why is there an A# and E# thrown in?

[​IMG]

2. JtheJazzMan

JtheJazzMan

Apr 10, 2006
    Australia
    uhh are we on the same page? :meh:

on that picture, the key is E major.

3. Toronto Bassist

Toronto Bassist

Jan 9, 2008
    Toronto
    Also, the notes in the first two measures are E, G#, B. Maybe you scanned the wrong page?

4. fsf347

fsf347

Mar 28, 2008
    hahah, sorry about that.

5. JtheJazzMan

JtheJazzMan

Apr 10, 2006
    Australia
    i see nothing unusual.

firstly it sounds like your getting your accidentals mixed up. youre in the key with "Bb and Eb" Bbmaj/Gmin whatever you want to label it as.

the piece is using a G Aeolian scale over the chords. the C and Eb you referred to are still in the scale.

same with the D7 chord. the Eb is a b9 and the Bb is b13

6. fsf347

fsf347

Mar 28, 2008
    oh, i didnt even know that haha.

i just started learning theory with my teacher, were not even doing aeolian scales yet lol.

what do you mean, Eb is a b9, and Bb is a b13?

i know im comming off as a ****ing idiot, sorry haha.

7. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    The sheet music is in Bb (2 flats). The first chord is Gmin, which is G Bb, D (NOT A#- there's a good reason for that, but have your teacher explain it). The bass line is G A Bb C. On the strong beats, 1 and 3, it has chord tones. On the weak beats it's got other notes that tie the chord tones together. Second measure still is Gm, and the line hits a chord tone on the first beat. Notice (HEAR!) how the C in measure one leads to the D in measure 2? Then on the "and" of beat 2 it goes to the Eb and drops right back on beat 3 to a chord tone, and the last beat of measure 2 is the Bb, a chord tone.

So, there's nothing wrong there. It outlines the chord by playing chord notes on the strong beats, and it's all in the key of Eb.

jte

8. onlyclave

onlyclave

Oct 28, 2005
    Seattle

Uh, what? The key signature indicates G minor, the first two bars are a G minor scale, the A and C in bar 1 are merely passing tones and the Eb in bar 2 is an upper neighbor. All normal non-harmonic tones.

Bar 3 is D7, the dominant in G minor, and once again we have upper neighbor and passing non-harmonic tones, and it's all in the key of G minor.

9. fsf347

fsf347

Mar 28, 2008
    man, i need to study ALOT, you guys might as well be speaking chinese..

10. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Well, I wasn't assuming the first measure of the second line in the photo was bar 3. In fact I didn't look at that. The key signature of 2 flats is either Gmin (G A Bb C D Eb F G) or Bb (Bb C D Eb F G A Bb). But yeah, given only two bars to see, and no melody, it's more likely to be G minor than Bb.

But the key point is the OP asked why it had notes outside of the Gmin chord. And the answer we've all given is pretty much that you don't play chord tones only- they're your targets for building the line, but not the only ones you use.

jte

11. fsf347

fsf347

Mar 28, 2008
    thanks JTE, i gotcha now.

one other question, if im looking at a measure, how can i determine what chord it is based off of?

lets say two measures are:

B A B A/ G F# G F#

the song is in the key of D major, so im guessing the first measure would be a Bm chord and the second measure would be based off of a G Major chord?

12. JtheJazzMan

JtheJazzMan

Apr 10, 2006
    Australia
    if you think of a chord as a scale arranged in a certain way it makes sense.

the G minor chord is using a G Aeolian scale (a Bb major scale, starting on G if you like)

your basic chord is formed by using the 1st note of the scale, then the 3rd note of the scale, 5th, then 7th.

so using a G Aeolian scale, you end up with the basic chord tones G Bb D and F

the other tones are extensions. the A, C and Eb.

when i said the "Eb is a b9 and the Bb is b13" what i mean is that the Eb is a minor 9th interval above the D, which is the root note of the D7 chord. The Bb is a minor 13th interval above the D.

you may be wondering why i refer to them as b9 and b13, rather than b2 and b6.

the reason for me is to distinguish them as extensions as opposed to chord tones.