1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Wow. Is it really this bad?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by basscooker, Mar 5, 2021.

1. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps

I mean, really I'm so far gone with trying to make a living playing music.... Not killing me here or whatever.

But it's this sort of thing that makes me feel a bit better that I don't give money to ANY streaming services. It's likely a similar reality to indie film as well, IDK.

Is this legit? Is it really this bad? This sucks.

2. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Nothing really surprises me, anymore.

A snake coiled up in the toilet would, but only if I was going to the bathroom.

2112, Herrick, Tupac and 8 others like this.
  3. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Sounds about right.

Indiana Mike and Spidey2112 like this.
  4. Winslow

Winslow

Sep 25, 2011
    Group "W" Bench
    toilet flush snake (anim).gif

:whistle:

2112, design, Peter Torning and 29 others like this.
  5. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Wifey was on the john one day and a decent rat snake came up through an oversized hole cut in the floor for the hot water feed line and crawled out of the little closet where the heater was located, just a couple inches from wifey's toes. I was at work and she called me and told me to get home and do something. I did.

HolmeBass, db59, BOOG and 5 others like this.
  6. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    You're going to leave us hanging, like that? :jawdrop:

7. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    2112 and Winslow like this.
  8. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

9. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

Kanye.gif
    So far no comments on the vid.
    Much nonsense about snakes.

roborend, geesharp, RyanJD and 9 others like this.
  10. EdwardofHuncote

EdwardofHuncote I Still Dream of Jeannie Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    I tried to watch it, but was bored silly in less than two minutes with stats, charts, and graphs. The terse voiceover and spooky piano music make it even less credible to me. Maybe there is something to it. I don't subscribe to Spotify or any other streaming app anyway, and don't plan to, but here is a truism from my days as a full-time performer, nearly thirty years ago but still applies; Artists are the bottom of the Food Chain in the Music Business.

Obviously, I am waaaay out of the mainstream, but 98% of the money I used to make in the pre-lockdown world, you know, where we actually went out and played gigs, was just that - cold, hard ca$h. Every now and then we might sell some merch or a download.

11. Winslow

Winslow

Sep 25, 2011
    Group "W" Bench
    < Clicks 'play' on vid >

< Time bar: 28:37 > :confused:

Whoa! Look at this huge snake climbing a palm tree! :woot:

6fd1153804e6b6c3daa48f5bbed28e42.gif

Qlanq, Thibby, mngnt and 12 others like this.
  12. charlie monroe

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    For those who are tl;dw

-Fake views are rampant and industrial scale
    -Spotify willfully ignores them
    -One of Spotify's founding investors is also an abuser
    -90% of payments are to 1.4% of artists suggesting that you can't get paid if you have clean hands
    -remaining 98.6% of artists each earn an average of $11 monthly
    -it would be naive to think record labels don't have their hands in this

wraub, Bassist4Eris, SLIV and 22 others like this.
  13. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Can't say I wanted to waste a half hour watching this. It is what it is and we're not going back to the good old days.

One thing that people seem to forget is that while you can be a "premium" Spotify user for $10 a month (like me), there is also the free version which is lower-fidelity, much more limited in features and has far more users. That's right, free. Like YouTube, which I've heard is now the biggest streaming platform in the USA and has both some "official" posts from record labels along with far more uploads of truly rare and otherwise unavailable stuff...all free.

So how do you pay artists for spins if the listeners aren't paying anything? Meanwhile the companies who sold you the computer, tablet or phone are making money, your Internet provider is making money...which we are willing to pay for "free" content.

Why is it that radio never pays artists for spins, it only pays songwriters. Yet we don't hear people moaning about radio play, other than not getting enough of it :meh: Streaming is more like radio than like buying LPs and CDs, except that paying users an curate their listening themselves rather than depending on a DJ, a radio station music director or a playlist creator to choose the music for them.

Of course, streaming does replace the purchase of physical media for many people...again, like me. But I hate it in so many ways. No artwork, no liner notes (painful for a record collector), less than CD quality. On the other hand, when I start playing an album on Spotify and turn it off after 5 minutes because it's crap, I'm sure glad I didn't have to pay $15 to discover that.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
    kodiakblair, JoshS, ajkula66 and 9 others like this.
  14. Nothing new here, but great information we all should be aware of.

All the streaming services do it.

Too bad they left out the person with quote at the beginning, which was of course Frank Zappa.

JRA and Spidey2112 like this.
  15. charlie monroe

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Here's a gem I forgot in my notes above. The CEO is shown in an interview clip stating that musician's should not get into the industry in pursuit of money.

BrBss, TinIndian, SemiDriven and 3 others like this.
  16. Music going to the cloud or however you want to put it made it completely worthless. There’s no record industry when there are no physical “records.” My recommendation is to not even stress about it. Use all those platforms as promotion tools. And if you want to make money focus on other things. Like good T-shirt designs, and sell other merch. Ironically one of the best sellers for my bands over the last few years has been Koozies. I know bands that sell all kinds of stuff even vape stuff. But yeah it’s frustrating for sure because it costs money to record. My thing lately has been focusing on learning to record my own stuff. That way I can cut out the cost of having to pay to go into a a nice studio

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
  17. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    The snakes comprise the cast list in this feature short.

18. ELG60

ELG60 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Mid-Florida
    I was just telling the story to a friend not a half hour ago about pulling a large snake out of a neighbor's upstairs toilet about 30. Years ago, coincidentally.

Winslow and Spidey2112 like this.
  19. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    It's all connected.

Qlanq, TinIndian, RocknRay and 3 others like this.
  20. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I've seen this model used elsewhere.

I'd rather have clean hands, than dirty undies.

Nephilymbass likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 14, 2021