Wow , Jazz Guitarists!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by page, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Im getting into a big jazz streak now and I heard Stanley Jordan on the Jazz Channel the other day. Amazing! Anyone else heard this guy??? He is spectacular! He is so unique, with his double guitar tapping.

Im gonna get A Mahuvishnu cd soon , John M. is great. Also I checked out Django Rheinhart and Joe Pass, spectacular!

Any other Jazz guitar guys I should check out?

2. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Wes Montgomery
    Jim Hall
    Grant Green
    Charlie Christian
    Pat Martino
    Pat Metheny
    John Scofield
    Ralph Towner
    Larry Coryell
  3. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Mike Stern
    Robben Ford
    Bill Frisell
    Joe Pass
    Kenny Burrell
  4. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Saw Stanley Jordan play once and met him afterward. Incredible guitarist and very nice, humble, soft-spoken guy.

John Scofield is a hell of a guitarist, but I have a problem with the fact that he uses that annoying hyper-chorus effect on every single solo. It's fine here and there, but it gets tiresome hearing that thing kick in just when you're enjoying the lack of dissonance.

As for my fave, that would be the one and only Grant Green. Ernest Ranglin deserves mention as well.
  5. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Last time I saw him, with the trio, he played a full set of standards with little or no chorus. The Rat pedal actually bugs me more, personally. The second set was mostly the groove stuff, but played way outside.
  6. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    :D I hear ya.
  7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    George Benson; if you are into scat soloing.
    Al di Meola
  8. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I would think...everyone? He's been around 20 years now.
    Jordan was in a Bruce Willis movie called Blind Date; a lotta casual listeners even picked up on him after that.
    Jordan does do a one helluva Jimi Hendrix & Ravi Shankar impression.

One has to be careful when picking Wes Montgomery albums...some have strings; not as good as his 4-tet & 5-tet stuff, IMO. Same goes for George Benson...pre-Breezin, good, post-Breezin = Pop.
    Personally, I like Pat Martino(lives behind my aunt & uncle's house in Philly). Footprints & Consciousness were two of the very 1st Jazz albums I owned. Killer version of "Impressions" on Consciousness.

Steve Khan I also liked. His jazzier stuff can be found on albums like Crossings, Let's Call This, Streamline, & Got My Mental.
  9. chimp

Dec 4, 2004
    South Africa
    i love Jordans tapping style he is one of my favorites. I myself love McLaughlin with Corea and Clarke! Growing up listening to nonstop guitar playing(my dads a guitarist from 60's/70's) i thought i knew what it was about but it has nothing on what ive heard jazz guitarists do since i became a jazz listener.
  10. imo get VW's "A chick from corea"

good song :)
  11. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Some others worth investigating:

Bill Frisell
    John Abercrombie
    Sonny Sharrock
    Pete Cosey
    Pat Metheny

A couple of up-and-coming young Brits are Justin Quinn and David Okumu.
  12. This is a great book with transcriptions.
    Best of Jazz Guitar

About Stanley Jordan, his two-handed style seems unique, and most of what I've heard of his material would be considered smooth jazz, FWIW.
  13. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Jordan's early albums contained some Jazz Standards...he would play walking/swing bass with his left hand as he solo'd/comped with his right hand.
    His Shankar & Hendrix 'tributes' aren't very smooth, either.
    On a whole, though, I do agree his later albums are "Contemporary Jazz"(buzzword for "Smooth Jazz").

I just noticed your sig; I caught "The Big Lewbowski" a couple weeks ago. Funny stuff!
  14. Jimmy Bruno
    Frank Vignola