1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wow...just wow

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by werbo1, Apr 30, 2006.

1. Check this guy out, I think he's a rgeat guy and he probabaly makes the best gutiars in the universe...you'll see why

http://www.zacharyguitars.com/

My favorite part is where on one page he says no one will know how a guitar sounds before it is strung up, and on another page he says do not modify you're guitar because it is designed to work as a unit.

This guy can't be serious

2. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    reminds me of a warwick katana shape.

3. steve21

steve21 Banned

I love how the contact us picture is the Olsen twins.

4. That is probally the worst layed out website in the world.

lowsound

5. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    looks like he's selling

6. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    I've seen that site before, all I can say is that you can't hang one of those guitars on a wall cuz of it's headstock.

7. Guy seems like kind of a prick. :rollno:

8. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    lol... he contradicts himself like 500 times throughout the website. like when he says he doesn't want to raise the prices but he does it cuz his customers say he should. lol???

9. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    He could be a douche of Ed Roman caliber!

10. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    After extensive review his site for a 1/2 hour (out of curiousity), I would never even think about shelling out money for these. The site is filled with BS. So, I fully retract my earlier comments.

The pissy attitude is plenty of reason to never buy one of his products.

11. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    They are kind of ugly IMO.

12. i remember seeing that from a while ago...i believe he used to really push the whole "Fender and PRS are the devil" and "True Christians will buy my [non-devil] guitars"

he still has the devil page -> http://www.zacharyguitars.com/Devil.htm

this guy sure has a big mouth for not making very good instruments (IMO)
    i'd rather have a wishbass :)

13. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    That is funny. Yeah, my fender jazz is evil, but it sounds so damned (get it?) good.

14. vyse933

vyse933

Mar 31, 2006
    Grand Haven, MI
    "I make guitars as I chose and what I like. Whatever interests me at any particular time."

15. Brad Maestas

Brad Maestas Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    I sent him an email last year asking whether he knew who Mr. N. Hayashi was (maker of Atlansia guitars and basses). There seemed to be an awful lot of similarities between the two and of course, Zachary or whoever he is said that he hadn't heard of him and that he would not answer any more questions about it. What a tool. I didn't even accuse him of anything. I was just curious. His level of denial was a little high for someone who's supposed to be innocent! :rolleyes: :spit:
    His site is so weird. The picture of his 'assistant' and the Olsen twins? Creepy. What's with the pages entitled, "Is a Zachary Guitar really for you???", "Why I hate custom handcrafted guitars" and the best one, "Saving Souls with Zachary Guitars"? This guy is some piece of work. And ***'s up with "Zach Attack" pickups? :rollno:
    Needless to say, I won't be purchasing any instruments from him. :D

16. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Ha! I agreed with most of the critical comments until I read the "devil" page. I think he's got a great sense of humor (at least on that page), and I think he's keeping a straight face just to f*** with everyone.

17. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Looks like someone left a telecaster guitar in the car, and it melted...

[​IMG]

18. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
  19. Brad Maestas

Brad Maestas Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    At the top of the page it says, "Paul Reed Smith Guitars"
    http://zacharyguitars.com/071199pics.htm

November 2003,
    "Hi Zachary-- I'm the new proud owner of your Home Depot knotty pine Z2. When I saw the pictures and checked out your website, I knew I had to buy it. For years I've had an image of what MY guitar would look like, then I saw it on your website-- beautifully "imperfect" natural wood, top components, and nothing fancy or superfluous. I expect I will love the Home Depot Z2 and will want another Z2 made from another type of wood, with equal character and feel, with a rosewood or ebony (or similar) fingerboard, and also very light in weight."

How about the "antique nail" in the body?

[​IMG]

What about?: http://zacharyguitars.com/150700pics.htm
    or
    Linc Luthier?: http://zacharyguitars.com/160406pics.htm

20. He's unorthodox....but go check out any review from anyone who's actually bought one of his guitars. They're crazy about them...to the point of becoming fanatically loyal.

And take a look at his photo gallery - whether or not you like the aesthetics of his guitars, he photographs every inch of every instrument at high resolution and displays it for all to see - much better than the photo section of any other luthier's site on the web - period.

So unlike the other posters on this thread - I am going to buy a medium scale Zachary bass - put my deposit down about 15 months ago...my instrument should be just about the next one to complete.

I'll post it up when it arrives.

Yes, he's unorthodox, arrogant, and very intolerant of mass-produced, thickly-finished guitars/basses. But his photos, videos, reviews, and worksmanship back up much of what he claims.

We're pretty good on Talkbass about being careful of judging something until we've tried it...let's be really careful here given the obvious attention to detail and fit/finish by this luthier. I believe I'll be the first to actually review a finished product of his on this site, so I'll do a lengthy review once I have it in my hands and have played for a couple of shows.

Jay