Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wow! Ken smith 6 string...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Andy Daventry, Feb 17, 2003.

1. Played one today. Don't know the model, but it said 20th anniversary on the control cavity cover and was made of about 67 different woods.

It was quite simply the best playing bass I have ever tuched. I didn't know basses could be like that..

Not a bass to get down and boogie with (I'll stick with my TRB/Fender copy for that) but a bass which makes you realise that there's no reason for basses ever to stop developing and growing...

As I said, not for me - I'd love a dirty weekend with it, but would return Fenderwards on Monday. But good to meet.

2. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    hmmm, do say this simply because you'd be to afraid to smash the thing up or lose it? I mean if someone wanted to give me a custom ken smith I might reconsider playin my spector ;).

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    That's how I felt years ago when I played my first Smith 6. I knew I couldn't afford it for a long time, but it really made me think about playing a 6. A few years ago, I went on a search for 6 strings, and tried just about everything I could get my hands on, even most of the "big name" semi-boutique basses, and nothing measured up to my memory of the Smith. Last February, I decided to go ahead and order one just like the one I had played, and while it was being built I prayed like hell that my memory hadn't been deceiving me about what a great bass the one I had played was.

When it finally came, the new one was every bit as nice as I remembered plus change....although mine only has about 53 kinds of wood in it. :)

4. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    mine only has 25 types of wood ! I think i got ripped off !;)

5. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Was it one of the redwood neck-thrus? If so, is it for sale? ;)

6. Ouch. I'd sue.

www.kensmithbasses.com is the site, i believe.

7. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I dont own one,but I have had the chance to play a couple of them and they were the proably the most player friendly 6-string basses that I had tried and I've tried quite a few including the real exspensive boutique types as well.Awesome instrument.;)

8. Smiths fall into my definition of 'real expensive boutique type' :)

they're great.

9. Yup. Thanks for the replies. As far as I can work out the one I tried was a Charcoal flame KSA-6. If it cost the guy 6 grand, I am not surprised, and I think it would have been worth it.

God, you could buy a house for that here in Turkey! (well, a small one!).