Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wow, look at those WOODS!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fluke, Feb 20, 2003.

1. Fluke

Fluke

Jul 20, 2002
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I've bought from Myles Gilmer and from Marc Culbertson (who heads up their musical instrument woods)

Notice they don't use any colored lighting or oil in their photos. They are straight-up wood dealers and, IMO, the best of the best. The wood they sold to me was everything they promised only more, in terms of tap tone.

If you want a sham, go to eBay and look at what Cooks Woods does with the crap they are trying to pass off.

3. Wow. I didn't know wood like that even existed. :eek:

4. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Man..some of that wood is just plain, well DDROOOLLL. :eek:When is paul gonna make a drooling smiley??

5. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
  6. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    [​IMG]

Oh yeah....that's NICE! Too bad it's best used for fretless, which I don't do too much of. :(

7. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Does anybody know any other reputable wood dealers?

8. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    i have gotten some beautiful stuff from Larry at galleryhardwoods.com

9. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    *gibber* *drool* camphor wood burl...

Russ :bassist:

10. IMO, given the rarity of Snakewood, using this precious material for anything BUT an unlined fretless fingerboard would be sinful.

Anyone know if "Bois-de-rose" is usable as a top wood? Short of Padauk, which is 1st on my list for tops right now, Boise de Rose looks amazing. I haven't seen it listed anywhere but on this site, so I'm assuming it is not a musical instrument wood. That said, it sure is beautiful...

11. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    What Adrian says...

IMO Larry is the best and the most knowledgable wood dealer out there!

I get all my wood from him now. BTW Chris was talking about padauk...hehe...just for him to drool on:

[​IMG]

:D

Peace, JP

12. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Virginia
    Man that is some of the most beautiful wood I have ever seen. Thanks for the link.

13. I love fancy wood but those tops are expensive. Get some figured plywood and stain it magenta purple and you're done. It ain't exotic but a 1/8" thick top won't affect your tone to much. (read with partial sarcasm)

14. gyancey

gyancey

Mar 25, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I third that recommendation. He's a really nice guy as well. I've bought more wood from him than I have time to use right now but its just so darn pretty! JP - I thought I'd mention that you have the only single cut body style that I like.

15. This thread made me change my avatar!

:D

16. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    I'm honored to hear that! You make some damn nice basses....they should get more exposure!! :D

peace, JP

17. The Camphor Burl floats my boat as great top.

18. Mmmmmmmm....looks soooooooooooo good. ...almost like I could....

*MUNCH!* *crunch chew munch* Hey...it's not that bad!

19. Make SURE you know EXACTLY what you want before talking to Marc.

(Nuff said);)