1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Wow- MusicGoRound IS the new Guitar Center

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by rogerbmiller, May 6, 2016.

1. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    rufus.K likes this.
  2. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    hintz likes this.
  3. Razman

Razman Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    On a trip to see family in Minneapolis I got a really good deal on a sweet DBZ guitar. Since new stuff doesn't attract me (especially the depreciation) I would much rather peruse used gear, and they usually have lots of good stuff to browse.

hintz and rogerbmiller like this.
  4. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    This pedal sells for $29.99 brand new and most sites offer free shipping. Add to that the warranty you get buying new.

Oops...

5. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Yep. Just saying that it seems Guitar Center does not have a monopoly on stupid after all.

6. Fat Freddy

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    Oh! I get it...irony:D....Just found that pedal for $29.99 on Sweetwater....

Still think that their used basses are priced pretty well though...:)

hintz and spaz21387 like this.
  7. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    I bought an Ibanez ATK 305 from them. I negotiated to $325 shipped. About market price all in.

Whe I received it the first thing I realized was that the original preamp which is 50% of the mojo was gone and replaced with something that was homemade.

The discount the applied back to me was not enough tto cover the replacement preamp and installation. So I paid more than I actually paid, because they didn't know what they were trading in.

Hmm...

SunnBass, spaz21387 and Fat Freddy like this.
  8. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life.

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    Yeah, the MusicGoRound in my town is constantly mis-labeling, and over-pricing items.
    It's annoying really, and so frequent it's ridiculous.
    Plus, their shipping fees can be outrageous.
    I usually tell them if I find something wrong when I go in, or email them if I see a mistake on-line.
    Yeah, I'm that guy.

9. Fat Freddy

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    Hmm indeed.....I hereby retract any possible hint that I may have implied that I thought that this company had ok prices!!! :thumbsup:

10. Callused Finger

Callused Finger

Feb 22, 2007
    New York
    I'm sure there is a lot of pressure from management to not underprice. Employee's end up cautious resulting in incorrectly overpriced gear.

11. Razman

Razman Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    Caveat emptor.

Old Garage-Bander likes this.
  12. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    :wideyed: are you kidding me?...$70 dollars for a behringer bdi21? are they high? I could get a used hartke bass attack preamp pedal at that price.

TimboZ likes this.
  13. FronTowardEnemy

FronTowardEnemy It is better to go unnoticed, than to suck

Sep 19, 2006
    Plainfield Illinois
    Just an FYI.

I got a 2012 GB Uber 410 in excellent condition shipping plus taxes from Pasadena CA to Chicago for $535 through GC used site.

You have to look and be patient for deals.

PWRL, RichSnyder and rogerbmiller like this.
  14. I actually scored a pretty good deal on a Warmoth body from MusicGoRound. I do sense that they way over price some things but a lot of stuff is right on par. They had an Empress ParaEq listed for sub $100 dollars at the one in my area recently and it was near mint. If I had the money at the time I saw it I would have picked it up. It was gone before I had the scratch. So I would have to agree with the there can be deals but it takes patience.

Oh I almost forgot I traded a well used LH1000 (when I say well used I mean getting near the end of its life span, but it looked nice because it lived in a rack case all its life) for a Washburn AB40SH straight up. I felt like I was I was robbing them, but to a lot of people that really wasn't a great deal.

15. Cowboy in Latvia

Cowboy in Latvia

Mar 1, 2015
    I agree that pedal price is more than a bit off. OTOH, I bought a couple nice homemade 112 cabs and a great Peavey bass all for under $250 and they gave me a good trade value on a Spector Legend I picked up for next to nothing. You just have to be patient, play everything at the local shop and wait until the deal shows up.

16. BobKos

BobKos Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2007
    I've bought a couple basses from M-G-R. Not spectacular deals, but not steals either. One cheapie bass had a pretty bad finish gaff that was not mentioned which was a bummer. Local M-G-R- is best so you can buy in hand. Otherwise I'm not afraid of them. Treat everything like you would any other used gear.

17. J.D. Detroit

J.D. Detroit

Nov 12, 2015
    Detroit
    I have found some killer deals at music-go-round. I Always find some way over priced junk as well.
    Like anywhere else it's hit or miss.

What I don't like about them is the return policy - item has to go back to the store of purchase.
    It's a franchised operation I get it - but eating shipping two ways to get a refund especially if the items is damaged/not as described..
    Some stores will not budge on shipping refunds no matter what.
    After that fiasco of 'renting' a $200 bass for almost $100 in shipping - I'll stick with in-store only with this company.

rogerbmiller likes this.
  18. reggie hall

reggie hall

Oct 16, 2015
    florida
    My local Mgr is very overpriced, for example a used guitar stand 15$ I got the same one new at gc for 18$, there prices are too close to being to the prices of buying the product new

J.D. Detroit likes this.
  19. warrplayer

warrplayer

Apr 16, 2008
    Charlotte, NC
    15 yearsago I walked into a Music go Round and got a $2000 pair of studio Monitors for $400. Still using them today.

rogerbmiller likes this.
  20. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

Something that I've know for a while.
    You can get a good deal on used equipment at your local MGR!
    I've bought and sold many items to and from them over the years.
    With no regrets!

Last edited: May 10, 2016
    rogerbmiller likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 15, 2021