1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wow. My Band's Last Gig, This July. This Is Heavy.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by BassGod, May 8, 2006.

1. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Feeling a little weird today. My band "unofficially" broke up a couple of weeks ago, due to what one might call creative differences. Quite simply, I wanted to do more progressive stuff with cool guitar chord textures and such, while my guitarist would rather play power-chord riffs and shred over them.

But anyway...

A buddy of mine called today, and told me he had a gig we could play (unaware that we had disbanded) on July 28th, at a place in downtown Toronto called the Opera House. Pretty happenin' place, a lot of great bands/artists have played there (including Victor Wooten, if I'm not mistaken).

So basically, I'm really happy to play this gig, and more or less go out with a bang.

But at the same time, I'm pretty sad. It's like the end of what I've worked for almost three years toward now has an official date for its demise. The guitarist is my best friend. And I've never not been in a band since I started playing bass. First day I got my bass, I went over to the guitarists house to jam.

I guess it just feels a little weird, and I needed to vent a little.

Carry on...

Peace,
    Graeme

2. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    I know your pain. I was in my last band for two years, and it broke up suddenly. I spent 5 months bandless, and it killed me. Then I started my current band, which has been 2 and a half years now.

At least now you have some lead time to line up another project. :)

3. Being bandless is a gift and a curse.

Try to keep in mind that this will allow you to explore new creative outlets and grow as a musician by playing with others ^_^

4. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Argh! I would go to that if I could, I like the Opera House. But I'm away this summer...just curious, what's your bands name? If I'm back during those days (doubt it) I'll see if I can go.

I've been bandless since I started, but it's ok. It means I learn at my own pace, which is really nice. I'm going to join a band when I go to Uni though.

5. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    Elberon, New Jersey
    I was in the exact same position a year ago - we were breaking up and knew it months in advance (the main guy was moving away and the rest of us didn't really want to go on) and had a lot of gigs set up for the last 3 months, and the last one would be the biggest venue we'd ever played.

How did it feel? I mentally moved on quick and started looking for other bands. I didn't marinate in the nostalgia of it. In fact, I was pretty damned pissed off. In fact, some of the conflicts that were just below the surface between members came out in full force and it was not a pleasant time.

However, the last gig was cool. 800 people. A real blow-out. I was glad to have done it. But when it was over, I packed up my stuff and I've never seen these guys again. No reason to live in the past. Then again, a few months later I had a job offer and moved to a different city myself.

They were 3 good years, but I don't really miss that band. I'm in a better one now.

6. ireidt

ireidt

Mar 6, 2005
    Florida
    that sucks man. My old band broke up because of differences two years ago, the rythym guitarist and I hated eachother! Started a new band, it sucked, but eh. Now My old band is back together, new drummer, different name, same songs and some new ones, and the rythym guy and I are now getting along.

I feel your pain though. Just start looking for anotehr band or start one of your own!

7. I'm feeling your pain atm.
    Stephen is going to Greece for almost 2 months at the end of June, and we all hate each other as is, since I started dating the drummer's ex. (bad call morally, but girls should NOT effect the band).
    I want to play more interesting things, but Ste isn't willing to learn. Keith hardly practise and he's a one trick pony. Moans constantly.
    Me? I just got a new V4 - I WILL find a blues band, then progress into simple jazz and then on up for me.
    I love our tunes, but once Stephen is gone I'll be distancing myself from the "band", at least musically.
    We have a big show on the 30th May supporting Takota. We've had several great oppurtunities arise, alas, Stephen wil be in Greece.

Sorry for ranting. It sucks. :(
    Hope the show goes well!

8. Hey. I've been going through this "My band is ending" thing
    for about six months now. Our lead singer told us he was
    retiring from the business in June. At first I was beside myself
    wondering "What am I gonna do?". Now that I've had some
    time to deal with it and make some plans, I feel a bit better
    about it. It's still going to be rough, this band has been
    together for 10 years. It's been a big part of my life, not to
    mention a big part of my income.

But now I'm trying to put another band together, and I've got
    a few interested players, we just have to get together and talk
    about things and make sure we're all on the same page.

If that doesn't work out, I just got a call yesterday from
    an already established band that has a fairly busy summer
    calendar, and they need a bass player.

So I guess what I'm saying is, go ahead and get nostalgic,
    play the "Last Gig", and chalk it up to experience. Moving on
    means you can move ahead. The end of one thing is always
    the beginning of another.

9. The Opera House is a cool venue. I haven't been there for years though! What's your band's name and who are you playing with?

The band I've been in hasn't been together for a few months now cause the drummer had to have surgery on his legs. We had a gig lined up for April, but then we had to cancel it. It sucks cause it's the only place I can really use my big rig and I don't really have anyone else to jam with. Hopefully we'll get back to a regular schedule soon and get some stuff lined up for the summer.

10. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I want to echo those who say take advantage of the blessing of being free and haveing 3 months to line up a new gig.

Take your time, decide what kind of band you want to form or join, and don't settle for less. Sub with bands that are looking for a bassist until you find a band that fits.

I was lucky enough that as my first band was dying, I subbed for another band that I joined after our first gig together.

Oh yeah, it's ok to reminice about the good times and feel melacholy for a while, just don't stay there forever.

11. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Thanks for the responses. I'm glad I'm not alone in my situation.

My band's name is Fractured. Perhaps some of you Toronto area folks have heard of us, though I doubt it.

I'm still kinda bummed. I guess I'm thinking of the nights when I would stay up until four in the morning writing songs because I didn't wanna forget the riffs. I remember our first gig and the other bands we played with, who always showered me with compliments. I guess that kinda inspired me to keep playing and practicing.

I don't know. There'll be more bands. I've already gotten an offer actually, which is pretty cool.

Peace,
    Graeme